Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Any have any idea on when they may actually update the apple time capsule? I have no problem waiting for some type of update as it seems there are a lot of horror stories (many heat related) on the current version. Seems like a year and a half since last update....

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I would not expect it until 801.11ac is far enough along that vendors feel comfortable shipping Draft products that can be updated via software (so Apple adds it to their computers and iOS devices).

The latest models seem to be much better in terms of longevity (I bought the current model the day it released and it's been fine).

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
To add to what others have said, it seems the overheating issues have been resolved with later revisions of the Time Capsule. Most of the horror stories online are first or second gen (mostly first I believe), and even then not all first gen TCs have died on people.

You can also negate the overheating issue by raising the TC above the surface to allow for air circulation underneath. Some have even gone as far as placing it on a laptop cooler, but I doubt that's necessary.

You can wait, but there's no guaranty there will be a form factor redesign of the TC, so ventilation issues may still persist.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I have the 2T TC for hted last two weeks or so... no issue yet. I know it stay cooler than my 2010 Mac mini it's sitting next to.

swens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
thanks

Thanks all. Good to hear that the latest versions are better (at least for now). I'll probably still wait a little bit (would really like the new 802 standard and/or faster external connector - USB/Thunderbolt) just to see if anything happens but will probably pull the trigger in the next 6 months..... Appreciate it..

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
To add to what others have said, it seems the overheating issues have been resolved with later revisions of the Time Capsule. Most of the horror stories online are first or second gen (mostly first I believe), and even then not all first gen TCs have died on people.

I agree... the heat problems (resulting in power supply failure) were solved in 2009.

I personally use mine as backup destinations only. They are connected by 1GbE... which is not going to be replaced any time soon. I do not see any reason to wait.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.