Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonproject

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
No ability to upgrade to Fusion Drive for the base 21.5"? Why not? It's not like there is no room in the chassis for it as it's an available upgrade for the higher end 21.5".

Clearly Apple isn't looking to give anyone any sense of value here with these new iMacs.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
So in order to get an iMac with 16gb and a Fusion drive (a single SSD doesn't seem to be an option) the minimum is $1949 - ouch!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I have to admit I'm really impressed with the top-end GPU in the 27" iMac. Despite being a mobile GPU, benchmarks put it about level with the GTX 580, which is pretty bloody impressive (correct me if I'm wrong though!)

Not really as passionately annoyed about the thinness as some other people here; just considering the hardware specs alone (in the top-end models) I'd argue it's one of their biggest updates -- plus they made it incredibly thin.

I feel I'm in the minority here, but well done Apple.

Aug 26, 2008
Haters can post all their rage comments about how this thing doesn't have an optical drive or the 21" model has no user upgradeable RAM, or that its too thin.

They can complain all they want, but this thing is sweet.

It's sweet looking, but it's far from a sweet computer.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Expensive, but indeed it is awesome stuff. :D

But I am thinking about getting the previous generation at cheaper price. ;)

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
No Fusion Drive for the base 21.5"? Why not? It's not like there is no room in the chassis for it as it's an available upgrade for the higher end 21.5".

Clearly Apple isn't looking to give anyone any sense of value here with these new iMacs.

They don't want you to buy the 21" apparently. No fusion? Get the 27" and give us more money.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Looks likes I will be getting the 27" since I need more than 16 megs of RAM :mad:

Not sure why you are mad. This has been the case with all iMac's since 2009. With the reduction in size, did you really think they were going to add MORE memory slots to the 21" iMac?!?!

Robdon771

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Can someone help me know which option is better?

I am purchasing a new iMac on business expense. I have to keep it as close to $1600 as possible. I'm only looking at 21.5 inch iMacs and I get an educators discount.

Could someone help me understand which option will have more bang for the buck?

2.9 GHz w/ ram upgrade to 16 GB for $1599
2.9 GHz w/ Fusion drive upgrade for $1649
3.1 GHz with no other upgrades for $1599

I can only afford one option of the three with my work budget.

I do a bit of video editing; but not a lot. I mostly write and research.

I don't get to purchase a new computer for work very often so I want this to be as future friendly as possible.

Thanks for the help!

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
. Apple is getting retarded. I just bought 16GB SO-DIMM of same memory for under 100.00 for Macbook. So weak Apple. The hard drive speed thing is about moving users into more expensive models. There is no reason to offer 5400RPM drives (I get the fusion SSD/HDD option but even then I want 7200 in storage. Slow enough already). iMac's don't run on batteries. And the heat is a minimal difference.

youre saying apple is "getting" retarded. It's as if apple are only now offering pricy RAM modules.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Yep, unfortunately Apple is a one trick pony at this point. They need to get back to innovation and put away the scalpel.

I think Apple is smart for pushing the thinness boundries. So will you when they introduce an iMac that can be pulled of the wall in front of you like a poster, rolled up into a tube, and taken with you anywhere you go. This kind of innovation isn't immediately appreciated, but it is what makes ultra-portable products like the iPad mini a reality.

renderpaz

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Only 768GB SSD Option?

Only a $1300 option for 768gb SSD on the 27" and NO SSD for the 21"? Say all you will about the fusion drive, but it is just a low cost holdover. While fast, it is still only as reliable as the weakest link (the magnetic disk or possibly Apple's caching layer).

Solid state is the future. Apple is usually good about leading the way (dropping floppy, DVD, RJ45, etc). This represents an odd step sideways.

Incindium

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2009
I am purchasing a new iMac on business expense. I have to keep it as close to $1600 as possible. I'm only looking at 21.5 inch iMacs and I get an educators discount.

I can only afford one option of the three with my work budget.

I do a bit of video editing; but not a lot. I mostly write and research.

I don't get to purchase a new computer for work very often so I want this to be as future friendly as possible.

Thanks for the help!

Fusion Drive would result in the most noticeable performance improvement for normal use in my opinion...

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
replacing 4GB RAM module

Does anyone here knows if you can replace the 4GB RAM modules (2 of themon the 27" high end model), with aftermarket RAM?

Apple says there is four user accessible SO-DIMM slots, which to me means you can add 32GB in addition to the 8GB already on the system. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I have to admit I'm really impressed with the top-end GPU in the 27" iMac. Despite being a mobile GPU, benchmarks put it about level with the GTX 580, which is pretty bloody impressive (correct me if I'm wrong though!)

No one knows yet. I have not seen anything of substance as they have not shipped yet and no one else is using a 680mx. 680m's are close to desktop GTX480. OK. But this is Apples consumer desktop it should at least be at desktop GTX660/670 and it won't be. Especially having a 27" screen. Still scrapping by. I AM impressed that they even got to GTX480 actually. Apple does not care about GPU performance. Just enough to get the job done.

nonillogical

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Welp, I thought I was going to go upper-end 21.5 or lower-end 27, but these pricing tiers are an obvious slap in the face to anyone trying to moderate. HOWEVER since I've ruled out any non-iMac alternatives and am a captive audience, I guess I'm getting the high end 27 now. I'll upgrade my own ram later, get fusion, and at least consider the possibility of going i7.

Not happy about dropping this kind of cash, but I might as well really go for it now. You win, Apple, you win. Just make it quick.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
$200 to add 8GB of RAM????????????? Apple is really pissing me off more and more. It wasn't a problem when I can just install RAM myself, but this is a step too far.

Now to get the computer I want with the speeds and performance I expect, I got to spend $1949 (21.5" with Fusion Drive and 16GB RAM). I used to be fine with base models and just adding my own RAM if needed for $1200. Now I'm forced to $750 more with this new model. I can do better with a Windows 8 machine with real desktop parts instead of an oversized laptop. Apple has forced my hand.

Last edited:

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Anyone know how the GPUs compare to the ATI HD 5750 from the 27" iMacs from a couple of years ago?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
youre saying apple is "getting" retarded. It's as if apple are only now offering pricy RAM modules.
Settle down son. I mean the change in not letting users replace a desktop memory allotment. Not the price. That is better nowadays, sadly.

----------

Welp, I thought I was going to go upper-end 21.5 or lower-end 27, but these pricing tiers are an obvious slap in the face to anyone trying to moderate. HOWEVER since I've ruled out any non-iMac alternatives and am a captive audience, I guess I'm getting the high end 27 now. I'll upgrade my own ram later, get fusion, and at least consider the possibility of going i7.

Not happy about dropping this kind of cash, but I might as well really go for it now. You win, Apple, you win. Just make it quick.

"Yes, it is all going according to plan" -Apple.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
I guess "BTO" is a matter of perspective...

Could someone please explain to me why I need a 27" screen to get a SSD? What exactly does one have to do with the other? It's insanely easy to add a better drive, moreso at the factory before the computer is even assembled. Why is Apple not allowing me to upgrade my primary drive just because I'd rather have a smaller screen?

And yes, I said smaller, not thinner. Get the hint, Apple?

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure

Definitely the Fusion option. 8GB is already plenty, and the Ghz upgrade will be barely noticeable - especially given your tasks. By contrast, solid state storage (that the Fusion drive contains) gives the most useful performance gains in real world tasks (booting, saving, reading).

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I would rather have thicker and no chin however I guess this is what we get. Only problem I have with it is no fusion drive upgrade for the base 21.5"? I wouldn't care if I could upgrade the drive myself but this fact alone makes me content to keep my i3 iMac from 2010. It does everything I need it to perfectly, nothing they have changed is really making me wish for an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.