Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I know alot of people are so incredibly - I like to use the word anal - picky when it comes to new phones, they dare not get a single bit of dirt, scratch or dent on their precious device and if there is the SLIGHTEST problem they will do everything in their power to either A) Fix it or B) Replace it.

People will buy the most protective cases, will buy screen protectors and some people even go as far as using gloves with their iphone! So I have to ask, how anal are you guys with your phones?

Me, I am not too bad. I don't hold my phone like its an atom bomb, nor do I treat it like its a very delicate puppy, its a phone at the end of the day and its going to get dirty at some point, its probably going to gets scratchy, especially if your job is in the construction field or maybe even the mining field. I have a slight issue with my phone right where the top left part of the screen will occasionally make a slight clicking noise, people say return it but why if its not causing me any problems? I know people who have asked to get their phone replaced just because theres the slightest mark on it, and I'v never understood this.

So what about you guys? Are you like me? Are you completely different? I understand these devices are expensive - really I do - and if you have sense you would insure it, but to treat it like it could explode at any second is a bit pedantic.

So let me know guys :)

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I don't care too much about the phone itself. I don't throw it around carelessly but I also don't put it in a case nor do I freak out if it gets a scratch. I am, however, extremely anal when it comes to the software side of things (homescreen arrangement, song metadata, etc).

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
not at all. like i havent been with the last 4 phones that i have owned since 1999. its nice, it has a screen protector, i can use it. other than that it is just a phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont go nuts like some people inspecting every inch for tiny imperfections.
Its a phone, as long as it works then Im happy.
It will most likelly get replaced within a year like before when I get the newer one.

Tomas149

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Well, I do not really panic when i get a scratch... I just put a bumper on my device and that's it. And I use bumper more for a grip than a protection

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
I was expecting a poll:

1. Extremely anal.
2. Somewhat anal.
3. Not so much anal.
4. Meh.
5. What's anal?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I have Applcare+ I'm not anal at all. If it's all scratched to hell by the end of my 2 years I'll drop it and get a new one before I sell it.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I have a screen protector and a soft rubber case on mine. I just know that it was a big investment and like to keep it in good working order.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Personally, I like to keep my stuff (expensive stuff especially) as nice as possible for as long as possible. With that said, I have extra incentive to keep my phone looking good since my wife will likely be getting it when/if I upgrade OR she'll get the next upgrade and I'll have my phone for a year longer... in either scenario, I would want it to still look decent.

In the long run though, I know it's just a phone and I know that I've got a warranty on it so I might as well use it and not worry too much.

Also noteworthy is that I don't intend to sell it ever (read: don't intend) so I don't worry much about resale value.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I was at first with my black iPhone 5 because I read this board.

I bought a Speck Candyshell case and babied it for the first couple of weeks.

I have since had it naked, dropped it a few times(only minor drops), put it down on all surfaces without much caution and just used it like every other phone i've had and it's perfect!

I understand it's an expensive phone and people want to protect it, but the iPhone 5, even the black one, is much more solid and resistant to scratches than many on this board would have you believe.

Dechter

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
I use a sleeve/pouch case and keep it clean, which is how I can sell my iPhone after 2+ years and get $350 for it.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Front and back screen protectors and a Switcheasy Tones case with plugs to protect both jack and lightning ports. As for the rest, I use it like a normal phone since it has the basic protection I normally use.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I put a screen and back protector on with a thin case. I don't sit there and inspect it so that I can return it. My phone does click when I press on the screen and at this point it's not that bad to return it.

Gabbelito

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I have Applcare+ I'm not anal at all. If it's all scratched to hell by the end of my 2 years I'll drop it and get a new one before I sell it.

People like you is the reason why this planet is going to hell.

OT:
I use a screen protector and a case, but I'm thinking of going without the case, since it looks better and in the end it's just a phone.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I do start out being a little crazy with new toys. But before long I get over it. Have to admit, it's a nice feeling to quit worrying about it.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm pretty obsessive about perfection when I buy something. I don't think that's unreasonable either.

I'll also try and take care of my stuff, I've got a nice looking case that's pretty protective, and I use a screen protector too.

But once my phone gets scratched or dinged, I don't get upset. It's bound to happen eventually, I just try and delay it.

I've found that the care I take with my phones makes them resell quicker when I want to upgrade. I got more for my iPhone4 than I paid with the subsidized price when it was new. I think that's because it was in pretty great shape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.