Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
One question, though: can somebody please explain West Brom to me?

It's a dump on the outskirts of Birmingham. ;)

Their footy team is doing alright though and is being compared to big fat Ron Atkinson's team from the late 70's. I used to go and watch them quite often when I was a lad and Steve Clarke is doing a bloody good job if they really are playing as good as that team.

He's doing well, but we'd best not give him or his team any further praise lest it result in OllyW doling out bans. ;)

Don't worry, for some reason (which could be connected to supporting Wolves), I've currently gone right off football. :(

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If they blame Abramovich and he gets the hump and sods off Chelsea are in massive trouble.

One can only dream :)

A more likely outcome would be Abramovich discovering a way to replace the fans with more agreeable versions. Don't think he hasn't thought about it...

i've seen enough footy to know that the EPL is still one of the top two or three though.

IMHO: Bundesliga, EPL, La Liga* .

*Spain would be the weakest of those three. Barca and Real usually make everyone else in that league look ridiculous. But there has been a slight shift in the power paradigm this season.

yes, yes all subjective. looking forward to a lively debate... discuss.

I think it varies constantly and depends on taste. Leagues do have differing styles of play and viewer experiences. In terms of attracting talent, the Premier League is definitely near the top. But I feel like England is well behind in terms of the way it is run and the quality of the fan experience. Germany is unquestionably tops in those areas. Spain is the least competitive overall, with England next in line. There is more battling at the top but Man U and Chelsea still own the league (mostly the former). Man City is muscling in, but the difference is small. Italy has a high standard of play but very serious problems with ultras, and to put it bluntly is by far the most corrupt of the major top divisions.

France and the Netherlands are a step down in quality, but the games I have seen have demonstrated a good standard of play, and both leagues produce a lot of top talent.

Finally, (and slightly off-topic) speaking as an American, I'm surprised at how much racism and bigotry I see across European football. Countries like Spain and Italy in particular seem to have serious culture-wide issues with open bigotry being accepted as normal (and lets not talk about what goes on the Balkans). In England the problem seems more drink-related than anything else, but recently racism has become a hot-button issue there too. The US has plenty of problems with this stuff too, but our sports are far, far more progressive and proactive in taking a zero tolerance approach to it. Monkey chants and Nazi salutes simply do not happen in the US.

That's my 2 cents.

Holy cow, almost £450? :eek:

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Italy has a high standard of play but very serious problems with ultras, and to put it bluntly is by far the most corrupt of the major top divisions.

France and the Netherlands are a step down in quality, but the games I have seen have demonstrated a good standard of play, and both leagues produce a lot of top talent.

Finally, (and slightly off-topic) speaking as an American, I'm surprised at how much racism and bigotry I see across European football. Countries like Spain and Italy in particular seem to have serious culture-wide issues with open bigotry being accepted as normal (and lets not talk about what goes on the Balkans). In England the problem seems more drink-related than anything else, but recently racism has become a hot-button issue there too. The US has plenty of problems with this stuff too, but our sports are far, far more progressive and proactive in taking a zero tolerance approach to it. Monkey chants and Nazi salutes simply do not happen in the US.

That's my 2 cents.

You make some very interesting points, one of the things that has been forgotten is that in the last thirty years nationalism has been frown on in mainland Europe. Flag waving and such was discouraged, only football was seen as acceptable exception to this rule.

I remember in the days of the 1970s and early 1980's the English teams coming to Europe with all that swagger with flags and songs and chanting. This did make an impression on the locals, unfortunately they went the wrong way, racism is now a major problem in European football. Because of the European Union a lot of nationalistic feelings are pushed out of daily life, but football is a chance to let it all out again.

UEFA must really stamp this racist blight out, and soon, not with fines, but by banning the clubs responsible how ever big they might be.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
A more likely outcome would be Abramovich discovering a way to replace the fans with more agreeable versions. Don't think he hasn't thought about it...

I think it varies constantly and depends on taste. Leagues do have differing styles of play and viewer experiences. In terms of attracting talent, the Premier League is definitely near the top. But I feel like England is well behind in terms of the way it is run and the quality of the fan experience. Germany is unquestionably tops in those areas. Spain is the least competitive overall, with England next in line. There is more battling at the top but Man U and Chelsea still own the league (mostly the former). Man City is muscling in, but the difference is small. Italy has a high standard of play but very serious problems with ultras, and to put it bluntly is by far the most corrupt of the major top divisions.

That's my 2 cents.

Bulndesliga even allows beer to be brought back in the stands!!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

What, you guys can't do that? Bringing beer and chips into your theaters, having a blast during the play, but not into a simple stadium? What's wrong with you? :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
You can buy beer in most grounds here, but it has to be drunk on the concourse and not in sight of the pitch. Generally I don't find this to be a problem as the standard of stadium ale is generally poor.

When we pop along to Brid Town though for a spot of non-League fun, I'm able to buy a pint of reasonable mild in the club house and take it outside to drink watching the game, often whilst stood chatting to – horror of horrors – an opposition fan! :eek:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Interesting, although, being completely honest here, I'm always a bit unsure if the story how I understand it equals the one you wrote down....:D....but that's life.

Once I went to a, I thought and actually still think, rather 'classy' theater in Kew to watch a Wilde play. Boy was I surprised seeing literally everybody getting food and drinks during 'halftime' and enjoying their meals during the play. I was quite upset (jaja, the Germans) but was told this is a tradition :)rolleyes:) and one could interpret it in a way that Brecht would have favoured such a behavior. I'm still not totally convinced, though.

But I love watching games in the pub. Although last time, some years ago, it was a very important one against Croatia, the whole ignorance of The Best League in the World said hello, as, I believe Petric, was brought into the game and people were actually laughing and cheering about that nobody (not knowing him, since he still played at Dortmund) yeah, I believe you know the rest.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
What, you guys can't do that? Bringing beer and chips into your theaters, having a blast during the play, but not into a simple stadium? What's wrong with you? :D

plenty. :D

but i was referring to the EPL and lower divisions where i don't think it is allowed.

and most american professional sports DO allow beer in the stands.

You can buy beer in most grounds here, but it has to be drunk on the concourse and not in sight of the pitch. Generally I don't find this to be a problem as the standard of stadium ale is generally poor.

When we pop along to Brid Town though for a spot of non-League fun, I'm able to buy a pint of reasonable mild in the club house and take it outside to drink watching the game, often whilst stood chatting to – horror of horrors – an opposition fan! :eek:

there ya go!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off

MLS stadia all allow beer in the stands. Columbus Crew Stadium sells the usual Budweiser urine, but also Negra Modelo, which is decent, and a local microbrew, which was very good (so good that its name escapes me...:rolleyes:).

As pachyderm said, drinking in the stands is common in US sport.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

But how do you do that in reality? Halftime is 15min. that's the minimum amount of time I've to wait till I'm served normally...anyway, I don't drink any beer, and you're absolutely right abuot the quality as well, so that was mere curiosity on my part.

It's in my native tongue and I still don't get it, try as I may. How you keep up I've no idea.

I guess I'm pretty imaginative? :D

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
But how do you do that in reality? Halftime is 15min. that's the minimum amount of time I've to wait till I'm served normally...anyway, I don't drink any beer, and you're absolutely right abuot the quality as well, so that was mere curiosity on my part.

I guess I'm pretty imaginative? :D
He said it's when he goes to watch Brid Town, where bar staff probably make up 50% of the crowd. He just needs to make sure he goes just before the whistle blows, so he's not waiting to get served behind the players ;)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
But how do you do that in reality? Halftime is 15min. that's the minimum amount of time I've to wait till I'm served normally...
As Fizzoid says, crowds are small – it's unusual to get over 150 folk there, save for the rare 'big' match such as the derby against groundmates Scarborough.

The biggest attendance I've personally experienced there was against FC United of Manchester a few years back, when a mindboggling 1,006 hardy souls tipped up to watch.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The biggest attendance I've personally experienced there was against FC United of Manchester a few years back, when a mindboggling 1,006 hardy souls tipped up to watch.

That's the whole village then? :p

But seriously, then it was a misunderstanding. And sounds fun to me.
I mostly exclusevly experienced Hertha, where you have about 70.000 poor souls (save the guests) all desperately in the need of a good drink - at least when you play (and win :D) against Chelsea for example ;)

Great game, still a pity what happened to Deisler...

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Looks like everybody does dislike the Europa League.:mad:

I'm not sure that doubling the number of teams in the Champions League is the answer.:cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20523405

Oh, I don't dislike it, I just don't watch it. But I agree, these changes to the worse are likely to kill a lot of the game as we know it - over the long term. Keep in mind that also the European Cup (national teams) is going to be blown up to 32 teams. It's rdiculous. Was there some hope when Platini took over? I guess yes. Is it completely lost already? Definitely so. Doom and gloom. Everywhere. ;)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I don't know, I think Barcelona away to Ross County might make for an interesting fixture :)

I don't know, man! But give those damn clubs from European capitals a CL-wildcard, that would be the right thing to do since they deserve it per se. :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Looks like everybody does dislike the Europa League.:mad:

I'm not sure that doubling the number of teams in the Champions League is the answer.:cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20523405

This is nothing less than the death of the Champions' League and the birth of a Europe-wide top division football league.

Eventually the participants will become wholly detached from their national leagues and play only in Europe/domestic cup competitions.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
EPL has been so so of late. The season has been somewhat boring thus far. City are dreary, Chelsea have been Rafa-lized, Arsenal predictable, Utd crawling, and Liverpool...well...Liverpool.

But hey West Brom's run was ended...so there is that...

Maybe i should start watching Championship football.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It's looking likely to be the Manchester Premier League again this year.

A typical performance from Liverpool - lots of possession, not enough goals. The fact is, Spurs are a better side with more talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.