Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
No one asked this question about the iPods before the 5th generation, or the iMacs before they were redesigned, or the iBooks before the Macbooks gave you a choice of colors.

I don't understand how having a choice all of a sudden gives you another excuse for masculinity. :cool:

P.S. - The only reason I prefer the black is because the white has a small, but noticeable black border surrounding the edge of the screen. To me, at least on the white iPad and iPhone, this makes the screen look smaller. Also, the contract between the absolute white of the front panel and the LCD can make the screen actually look more yellow than it actually is. On the black model, this is not an issue.

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Be honest, is white too feminine?
It's a color. That's all it is. White doesn't change your gender, personality, etc. If you like the color then choose it. If you're worried about how people will perceive you based on the color of your device then you need to seek some help.

What do girls think of guys with white iPhones, iPads, etc. How do you view us?
...and you're hanging around the wrong women (and people in general) if they can't assess people individually versus based on the color of their smartphones.

So pink isn't feminine?
Nope. It's also just a color. It's used on a lot of products aimed at women. However, the color itself isn't feminine. It's just a color. Plenty of straight guys wear pink. It's a fairly common color for dress shirts.

Now, plenty of people think of it as feminine but, as always, consider the source. A lot of them probably think Miatas, cleaning the house, cooking, sewing, etc are just for women as well.

things are stereotypes for a reason....
Yeah, it's called lazy thinking and/or prejudice.

Last edited:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Nope. It's also just a color. It's used on a lot of products aimed at women. It's popular with women. However, the color itself isn't feminine. It's just a color. Plenty of straight guys wear pink. It's a fairly common color for dress shirts.

Oh come on. By your rationale women aren't feminine either, we're all just people, just shaped differently. Of course pink is popular with women. It's a FEMININE color that is popular with FEMALES. The root of feminine is female.

People, lets try to reason with each other. I feel like I'm watching MSNBC reading this thread. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, like men wearing pink dress shirts although I to this day think it looks silly on men, but pink is feminine, and the white iPhone is far more popular with women's than women than the black ones. And yes, that is based on my very unscientific research of just seeing all the women iPhone owners that I know having white iPhones. And all the ones I see at the Apple store.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's a color. That's all it is. White doesn't change your gender, personality, etc. If you like the color then choose it. If you're worried about how people will perceive you based on the color of your device then you need to seek some help.

...and you're hanging around the wrong women (and people in general) if they can't assess people individually versus based on the color of their smartphones.

Nope. It's also just a color. It's used on a lot of products aimed at women. However, the color itself isn't feminine. It's just a color. Plenty of straight guys wear pink. It's a fairly common color for dress shirts.

Now, plenty of people think of it as feminine but, as always, consider the source. A lot of them probably think Miatas, cleaning the house, cooking, sewing, etc are just for women as well.

Yeah, it's called lazy thinking and/or prejudice.

If you think calling a color feminine is prejudice, I don't know what to say. It's real whether you want to "see" it or not is on you.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
As a guy with a white iPad mini and white iPhone 4S, I'd glad to say that my girlfriend doesn't judge me based on the color of my iDevices. For what it's worth, she has a black iPhone 4.

Lya

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I'm a girl and I only have black devices because they look better to me. No one will tell you white is feminine and black is masculine, except on macrumors :rolleyes:

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I like to joke about white being a girls color, but the truth is I just find it a bit distracting with the white bezel over the black. I suppose it's because I'm just used to black screens.

Once you go black... ;)

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Why would feminine be a 'negative' aspect?

As a girl, I don't find myself in terror of being seen using a 'masculine' product.

Feminine isn't a sign of weakness, boys.;)

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
So pink isn't feminine? Come on. Baby girl stuff pink, baby boy stuff is generally blue. Why is that? I don't know, but somewhere along the line these colors were chosen and generally accepted as gender specific.

It is cultural. In some cultures and times it doesn't apply.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I just find it a bit distracting with the white bezel over the black.

I feel this way too, my wife have a white iphone and when I compare it to the black one white seems a little jarring..However I absolutely think pink cases are girly, and un-manly :p

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I own a white iPhone 4S, a white iPad 3, a white iPad mini and have a white iPhone 5 on order.

White isn't anything to do with being feminine. People choose what ones they prefer and in my case, the white devices look nicer.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
If someone wanted to get technical, white AND black aren't actually colors. Black is the absense of color and white is the combination of all colors.

Don't believe me? Have you ever made one of those paper circles with segments in different colors - spin it, and it's all white! The reason black cars get hotter than white cars is because the black doesn't reflect any colors - it absorbs them. White reflects all.

So there. :p

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Oh come on. By your rationale women aren't feminine either, we're all just people, just shaped differently. Of course pink is popular with women. It's a FEMININE color that is popular with FEMALES. The root of feminine is female.

People, lets try to reason with each other. I feel like I'm watching MSNBC reading this thread. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, like men wearing pink dress shirts although I to this day think it looks silly on men, but pink is feminine, and the white iPhone is far more popular with women's than women than the black ones. And yes, that is based on my very unscientific research of just seeing all the women iPhone owners that I know having white iPhones. And all the ones I see at the Apple store.

I wear pink dress shirts to work all the time. And I look hot in them. They don't look silly at all. I get all kinds of compliments when I wear them from both customers and co-workers, both genders. Every time.

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
I always get white, my wife always gets black. She gives me a hard time, but I don't really care and she isn't really serious. I think its kind of funny people being so concerned with what other people think.

I was going to get a black mini because the slate is so pretty, but I didn't like how the back could chip off. My problem now isn't the color but I'm wondering if the mini is just too small.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
Why would feminine be a 'negative' aspect?

As a girl, I don't find myself in terror of being seen using a 'masculine' product.

Feminine isn't a sign of weakness, boys.;)

Exactly right! In fact when I was a kid, girls would insult each other in school by saying, "You run/talk/speak/look etc like a boy/man. None of the girls wanted to be called a man, you can believe that. Was not a compliment, far from it

Even now, none of my adult female friends would be too thrilled to have manly qualities attributed to them honestly.

There is a saying which I can't exactly repeat here but it goes along the lines of, certain male appendages are weak and sensitive BUT, the female part can take a real beating. I hope that's not too much, I will delete it, but that's so true!! lol

Last edited:

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Exactly right! In fact when I was a kid, girls would insult each other in school by saying, "You run/talk/speak/look etc like a boy/man. None of the girls wanted to be called a man, you can believe that. Was not a compliment, far from it

Even now, none of my adult female friends would be too thrilled to have manly qualities attributed to them honestly.

There is a saying which I can't exactly repeat here but it goes along the lines of, certain male appendages are weak and sensitive BUT, the female part can take a real beating. I hope that's not too much, I will delete it, but that's so true!! lol

Hahah yes! I think it was a Betty White quote, wasn't it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.