Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cozmo85

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
Got a 4gb/256gb 13" today from amazon. Samsung panel, Samsung SSD. no dead pixels. Im happy.

bastisk8

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
Just received my 13" Macbook Air and checked for the display.
Followed the instructions on the first page and got the following display type:

LSN133BT01A02

Not sure, which display it is. A few pages back, someone mentioned it is a samsung panel, yet colors seem quite a bit washed out (at least when comparing it to my 3rd gen ipad). Especially red tones are not nearly as vibrant.

Tried a few calibration profiles, yet, none of these seem to fit this display type.

Does anyone have an idea whether it is yet another vendor or am i doing something wrong with the terminal command? Can anyone with the same screen recommend a decent color profile?

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Just received my 13" Macbook Air and checked for the display.
Followed the instructions on the first page and got the following display type:

LSN133BT01A02

Not sure, which display it is. A few pages back, someone mentioned it is a samsung panel, yet colors seem quite a bit washed out (at least when comparing it to my 3rd gen ipad). Especially red tones are not nearly as vibrant.

Tried a few calibration profiles, yet, none of these seem to fit this display type.

Does anyone have an idea whether it is yet another vendor or am i doing something wrong with the terminal command? Can anyone with the same screen recommend a decent color profile?

You've got a Samsung. You can't compare a retina screen to MBA's; of course they seem washed out when compared

bastisk8

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
As mentioned above your IPad 3 has a much wider color gamut than MBA (someting like 95% vs. 62% of the total sRGB color space).

Sure, I know that IPS Panels are al lot better in terms of vibrancy, color reproduction, viewing angles etc.
I just thought there might be someone with the same panel who calibratet it properly in order to get a bit more contrast etc.

Last edited:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Sure, I know that IPS Panels are al lot better in terms of vibrancy, color reproduction, viewing angles etc.
I just thought there might be someone with the same panel who calibratet it properly in order to get a bit more contrast etc.

There are quite a few threads with different color profiles that are worth a shot.

This was a popular one

That profile above, on my 11", increased contrast a bit. The Mountain Lion color profile is much better out of the box on the MacBook Airs these days so there wasn't a huge difference, that and it was originally intended for the LG panels.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
I posted in the 'Just got my MacBook Air' thread.. Can anyone here offer any guidance?

Jut got my i7, 8gb, 256gb, 13".

I'm in Australia, purchased via eBay / USA and saved $200 bucks.

It's an LG display and instantly I noticed colours are washed out. I called Apple and they have arranged a genius appointment for Wednesday, they seemed to know what I was talking about in comparison to the Samsung display and told me just to 'calibrate it myself' at first. I explained I'm a designer / photographer and need accurate colour, having spent $2000 I didn't feel that was a fair solution. I am finally upgrading from a 17" core duo MacBook Pro that went through 3 batteries, welted my legs after 5 minutes of use, sucked colour off my couch (this was all reported over the years but wouldn't do anything except advise I 'use it on a table' 'don't use it on your lap').. It cost over $4000!

Anyway I explained this purchase needs to be right from the get-go after spending such a large amount of money. He told me I would have to send it back the USA as it's the stores responsibility, I said I wasn't in a position to pay for postage costs, so he's booked a genius appointment, it will be up to my local store as to an outcome, they may swap the display for a Samsung, they may not.

Is this correct information? What are my rights?

I quizzed another Apple rep later today after the trackpad had become unresponsive to clicks (finder crash / resolved) as to rights / display issue / 14 day return period and she said she was software and couldnt give me an answer, a decision will need to be made by the Genius Bar / store and if I'm not happy to take it up with the manager..?

I haven't contacted the eBay seller as yet, just wanting to find out where I can legally go from here (locally).

I know there are bigger problems in the world, it's just a case of getting what you pay $2000 for.. Should I just calibrate and put up with it? The macrumors profile seems out a bit? Colours are vibrant but greys and blacks close together in photos seems to pool and bleed out a little, black text doesn't look right.. Grrr..

Last edited:

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I believe the LG/Samsung issue is mostly resolved on the Air since Mountain Lion and the new default profiles. Don't forget it's an Air, Apple's "budget" laptop (sort of), which will never be perfect in that aspect.
I'd say keep it or go Pro.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
I believe the LG/Samsung issue is mostly resolved on the Air since Mountain Lion and the new default profiles. Don't forget it's an Air, Apple's "budget" laptop (sort of), which will never be perfect in that aspect.
I'd say keep it or go Pro.

Thanks Kafka, an equivalent pro with realistically 16GB ram is out of reach.. I opted for the 13" air over the retina due to reports the air was 'better value'.. I guess the screen may be the only setback.

I guess i'll just have to suck it up! :rolleyes:

OldStevenick

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Northeast US
Hi everyone.

So my Macbook Air 13.3 apparently has a ShengRui display.

Code is LP133WP1-TJA7 which Google brings up ShenRui

It has a yellow tint to it.

Anyone know of this company? They seem to make replacement parts.

I had Amazon ship me a replacement and it was even more yellow. I had brought it to the Apple Store and they said it looked fine was "within specs" but would send it in for repair if I want. I think I'm going to do that now and hope for a Samsung replacement.

Thoughts?

joachimnb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Hi everyone.

So my Macbook Air 13.3 apparently has a ShengRui display.

Code is LP133WP1-TJA7 which Google brings up ShenRui

It has a yellow tint to it.

Anyone know of this company? They seem to make replacement parts.

I had Amazon ship me a replacement and it was even more yellow. I had brought it to the Apple Store and they said it looked fine was "within specs" but would send it in for repair if I want. I think I'm going to do that now and hope for a Samsung replacement.

Thoughts?

Hello

I just received a ShenRui too. Totally washed out in its colors and no smooth transitions of the simplest gradients. Called for a return immediately. I will get a new one send. Hopefully the new one is better. Maybe I will eventually have to go up in 256 GB SSD to get quality parts. Seems like they are getting better parts.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I posted in the 'Just got my MacBook Air' thread.. Can anyone here offer any guidance?

It's an LG display and instantly I noticed colours are washed out. I called Apple and they have arranged a genius appointment for Wednesday, they seemed to know what I was talking about in comparison to the Samsung display and told me just to 'calibrate it myself' at first. I explained I'm a designer / photographer and need accurate colour, having spent $2000 I didn't feel that was a fair solution. I am finally upgrading from a 17" core duo MacBook Pro that went through 3 batteries, welted my legs after 5 minutes of use, sucked colour off my couch (this was all reported over the years but wouldn't do anything except advise I 'use it on a table' 'don't use it on your lap').. It cost over $4000!

Anyway I explained this purchase needs to be right from the get-go after spending such a large amount of money. He told me I would have to send it back the USA as it's the stores responsibility, I said I wasn't in a position to pay for postage costs, so he's booked a genius appointment, it will be up to my local store as to an outcome, they may swap the display for a Samsung, they may not.

I quizzed another Apple rep later today after the trackpad had become unresponsive to clicks (finder crash / resolved) as to rights / display issue / 14 day return period and she said she was software and couldnt give me an answer, a decision will need to be made by the Genius Bar / store and if I'm not happy to take it up with the manager..?

I haven't contacted the eBay seller as yet, just wanting to find out where I can legally go from here (locally).

I know there are bigger problems in the world, it's just a case of getting what you pay $2000 for.. Should I just calibrate and put up with it? The macrumors profile seems out a bit? Colours are vibrant but greys and blacks close together in photos seems to pool and bleed out a little, black text doesn't look right.. Grrr..

You have no rights - in fact the only thing you have is an epic sense of self-entitlement.

You bought a laptop from a company other than Apple. That laptop came as described (you weren't promised any particular display beforehand I assume?). The screen isn't faulty. Apple don't owe you anything.

If you really were a "professional" working with photos, you'd have your own calibration tool.

joachimnb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
A66HA.jpg

So this is the quality of my LP133WP1-TJA7 Shengruihk display - not LG, not Samsung, but Shengruihk - in my 13 inch 128 SSD (Toshiba), 8 GB ram CTO MacBook Air.

Horrible. Colors all washed out, gradients split up into sections with unstable colors instead of being smooth in screentest, shadows are not shadows, viewings angles VERY limited and so on...

I tell you, this went back to were it came from. I won't accept this. I do not know the manufacturer or if it corresponds to Samsung or LG, but even my 2006 first macbook edition backup notebook beats this by far.

Do we see a big company maximizing profits, treating customers differently, trying to take its chances or trying to meet demand? I don't know... But why use this 30 dollar panel in my 1670 dollar machine (that is the corresponding price for it in my country).

OldStevenick

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Northeast US
On the left my 3 year old 15" Macbook Pro, on the right the brand new 13.3" Macbook Air with the ShengRui monitor.

Overall it's very good except for the yellow/brown tint which is really bad, but I could see how someone could not even think about it. When you compare it to another monitor (paricularly noticed it using mirroring to my AppleTV on my LG 47" LCD TV.) White is white, this is kind of brown ish. Eggshell.

Really messes up the colors in movies. Grey jackets look brown.

Attachments

• tn_259.jpg
    tn_259.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,139

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles

If you're a professional looking for a pro tool, well that's why Apple makes a line of laptops called MacBook Pros. Anybody who's serious about color accuracy, viewing angles, or calibration needs to invest in a Retina MacBook Pro or learn to live with a less-than-top-of-the-line screen.

joachimnb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
On the left my 3 year old 15" Macbook Pro, on the right the brand new 13.3" Macbook Air with the ShengRui monitor.

Overall it's very good except for the yellow/brown tint which is really bad, but I could see how someone could not even think about it. When you compare it to another monitor (paricularly noticed it using mirroring to my AppleTV on my LG 47" LCD TV.) White is white, this is kind of brown ish. Eggshell.

Really messes up the colors in movies. Grey jackets look brown.

That should not be accepted. Mine is also a little yellow/brown in it.

I wish there was more consistency in Apples products and the quality. They used to make good products and before I did not think "discount" brand.

OldStevenick

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Northeast US
If you're a professional looking for a pro tool, well that's why Apple makes a line of laptops called MacBook Pros. Anybody who's serious about color accuracy, viewing angles, or calibration needs to invest in a Retina MacBook Pro or learn to live with a less-than-top-of-the-line screen.

l think this is a pretty extreme way of putting it. It is a very high quality machine, as is everything Apple makes. I expect a quality monitor. It doesn't have to have the greatest specs, but should at least be decent.

I currently own about 20 Macs, and have owned dozens of others over the years. Never need repair. They last for a long time. Apple makes hardware, their software is ancillary, just a way to get you to buy and fall in love with the hardware. Brown monitors, or monitors with other obvious visual problems should not be learned to live with.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
l think this is a pretty extreme way of putting it. It is a very high quality machine, as is everything Apple makes. I expect a quality monitor. It doesn't have to have the greatest specs, but should at least be decent.

I currently own about 20 Macs, and have owned dozens of others over the years. Never need repair. They last for a long time. Apple makes hardware, their software is ancillary, just a way to get you to buy and fall in love with the hardware. Brown monitors, or monitors with other obvious visual problems should not be learned to live with.

I'd hardly call software ancillary. Many Mac users stick with the brand because of OS X's usability.

I don't my other comment is extreme at all. At this point, every non-retina display Apple makes is "less than state of the art," since there's a better option available. Doesn't mean it's not "decent," or good enough for most users. If it's not good enough for you, simply upgrade. If you're a professional, you can write the cost off as a tax deductible business expense.

OldStevenick

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Northeast US
It does not need to be state of the art to be of an acceptable standard. I can't believe you're telling me that because I have a bad monitor I should upgrade. That's BS. Junky Dell's have better monitors than this. This is a flaw, it is not acceptable and if their "low end" machines were crap no one would buy them.

I don't want a MacBook pro. The Air is lighter and a much slicker machine.

Ridiculous.

I agree with you that their software is fantastic. All I said was they make their money from hardware. They are a hardware company from a revenue point of view, unlike Microsoft that is a software company.

They practically give away the best software and user experiences in exchange for you buying their product - their hardware.

----------

If you're a professional, you can write the cost off as a tax deductible business expense.

I love this thinking. It assumes first of all that you make enough money to use the deduction - and second of all if I spend $1,000 and get a $250 tax savings I still spent $750. The government does not pay for it, they just chipped in.

In my case my company loses money every year and has so much carryover loss that expenses have no tax deduction value.

I'm not spending any money on cheap Chinese crap - not from Apple. I'll save that for lessor companies. Apple has to supply decent Chinese stuff.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
[/COLOR]

I love this thinking. It assumes first of all that you make enough money to use the deduction - and second of all if I spend $1,000 and get a $250 tax savings I still spent $750. The government does not pay for it, they just chipped in.

In my case my company loses money every year and has so much carryover loss that expenses have no tax deduction value.

I'm not spending any money on cheap Chinese crap - not from Apple. I'll save that for lessor companies. Apple has to supply decent Chinese stuff.[/QUOTE]

If you're operating at a loss, maybe something from the Apple refurb store is more appropriate? I'm not here to run your business, just give your unreasonable expectations some context.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
You guys are all making a huge deal about this.

The LG and Samsung panels both have their advantages and disadvantages.

LG:
+better viewing angles
+brighter

Samsung:
+better black levels
+higher saturation with default color profile

FWIW I have the LG panel. It looked washed out at first but after I applied the MR Display Profile it looks great. The difference between the two is very minor once you have the correct color profile. The LG display simply does not work as well with the default color profile as the Samsung display making it seem inferior out of the box.

link to profile?

joachimnb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Finally received another one without a display which cannot show shadows and is yellow/washed out. This second Air is with a Samsung panel and WOW there is difference - a lot. I could tell this was a display from another manufacturer before i even checked it. I would have kept it no matter the brand, because the important thing is to get an MBA with this kind of quality in the screen. But I checked it to provide information to this thread. I can only recommend not to settle with a display that looks wrong to you. It will never be perfect, as it is a TN panel and not IPS, but this was like getting two different kind of notebooks; one very cheap and the other one very expensive in the way it feels to use.

My girlfriend also bought an MBA 13" today in a physical store and luckily she got one with a Samsung display also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.