Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
So people just access Google Now in one of the three other ways.

Don't you think that statement is a little pedantic?

No, because you're taking it at face value rather than the meaning behind the statement.

It's not the fact that not being able to access Google Now in that manner is the problem, it's the fact that some features can only be included by updating the OS (unless Google finds a way of making it even more modular/extensible than it is now).

There will be other features in the future, and there has already been many, features that can only be added/improved by updating the OS.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
There will be other features in the future, and there has already been many, features that can only be added/improved by updating the OS.

Yea, but when that happens, an Android user always has the ability to install a custom rom with the latest OS version if its that important to then. With some of the desktop software which is available these days this is trivially easy.

Even a moderately technical user will be able to do this and what you usually find with technical novices is that they are blissfully unaware of what they are missing out on.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Yea, but when that happens, an Android user always has the ability to install a custom rom with the latest OS version if its that important to then. With some of the desktop software which is available these days this is trivially easy.

Even a moderately technical user will be able to do this and what you usually find with technical novices is that they are blissfully unaware of what they are missing out on.

I'm not sure why some people are so averse to flashing ROMs. It's kind of a similar process to upgrading Windows.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Joe Bloggs doesn't care about flashing ROMs or even know what a ROM is.

I've seen people close a firmware update notification, saying "how annoying those popups are" and then complain about bugs in the next breath.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Surprised that you would make a bizarre statement like this. Updates are absolutely important. Without them, progression stops. Bugs and glitches are usually fixed in most updates so many would want them right away.

Do you really want to spend all that money on a phone and not get any bug fixes, feature enhancements, and other goodies during your 2 year contract? It's annoying as hell being forced to have to buy a new phone just to get the update that finally resolves the issue you had on your old "still working fine" phone.

If there is a bug that I want fixed, then definitely I want the update. If the update fixes bugs that do not affect me, I would not care about it. I don't need to fix a problem I don't even know I have.

As for feature enhancements, I probably use less than 10% of the features my phone has already. Most likely, adding a bunch of more features that I may not care for is probably not worth the risk of the update breaking something that I already use.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Joe Bloggs doesn't care about flashing ROMs or even know what a ROM is.

I've seen people close a firmware update notification, saying "how annoying those popups are"

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Most people don't care (or aren't even aware) of what version of their chosen mobile OS they are running.

The ones that do care often have the know-how to upgrade themselves.

----------

If there is a bug that I want fixed, then definitely I want the update. If the update fixes bugs that do not affect me, I would not care about it. I don't need to fix a problem I don't even know I have.

Updates invariably introduce new bugs as well. Software always has bugs it just depends on how it affects your particular usage.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Updates invariably introduce new bugs as well. Software always has bugs it just depends on how it affects your particular usage.

Exactly. Whatever bugs there may be on my SGS3 running ICS doesn't affect me or I don't notice. Bugs on the Transformer is affecting me and I am willing to trade my old bugs for new ones on my Transformer, hoping the new ones don't affect me as much.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Most people don't care (or aren't even aware) of what version of their chosen mobile OS they are running.

The ones that do care often have the know-how to upgrade themselves.

There's a slight technical skill gap between having to tap a button to update firmware, and having to learn about custom ROMs, then actively seek out software that can install them, then choose a ROM, connect your phone to the computer and install it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.