Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I would love to buy the 27" Apple monitor but its price is incredibly high.

What 27" monitor would you buy for brightness, contrast, accuracy etc if not apple?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I would love to buy the 27" Apple monitor but its price is incredibly high.

What 27" monitor would you buy for brightness, contrast, accuracy etc if not apple?

The alternative is the Dell u2711, prices drop down to $700 very often.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Checkout Dell or HP. Their prices might be close to Apple's though. I think a 27" monitor with excellent color management is going to be fairly expense no matter how you spin it. Happy Shopping!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If color accuracy is important, know if you need narrow (sRGB) or wide (aRGB) monitor....and get a Spyder or Munki package to calibrate it. That goes for any brand of screen.

In fairness to the expensive ATD, it much more than just a good sRGB IPS screen. It is also a charging station for Mac laptops, provides a thunderbolt docking station for Macs, contains a USB 2 hub, contains a FW port, contains a GB ethernet port, integrated camera, and integrated speakers.

Yep, an ATD is not inexpensive. But compare it to the cost of a Dell U2711 plus a Delkin thunderbolt dock ($399). Those two will still not provide all the functions of the ATD.

Best prices I have found for ATD are $829 at Apple for refurbed with full warranty and $929 at B&H for a new one.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
If you are looking for the best monitor for photography, look no further than an NEC. They have great color gamma and are easy to calibrate. also, get a calibrating tool.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Thanks guys.

I think given the other options are around £600 I will go for the apple monitor. I had a look and its looks like £850 is the lowest I can find in the uk, Apple UK don't have any products at all on their refurbished store.

I think I will wait a little while as I am hoping Apple will put in the same bonded screen technology that is in the new iMac that reduces the screen reflections by 75%.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'm just waiting for a Thunderbolt display with PCIe slot inside for a thunderbolt (from the mac) GPU - or even just a thunderbolt GPU embedded inside - and possibly a SATA bay?

It would turn the thunderbolt display into an awesome dock for your MBA - storage and GPU worries go out the window - high end gpu is useless on battery anyhow, so why not move it into the dock/monitor you use when plugged in?

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Thanks guys.

I think given the other options are around £600 I will go for the apple monitor. I had a look and its looks like £850 is the lowest I can find in the uk, Apple UK don't have any products at all on their refurbished store.

I think I will wait a little while as I am hoping Apple will put in the same bonded screen technology that is in the new iMac that reduces the screen reflections by 75%.

Apple monitors are awful, like seriously awful.

If you want a seriously good monitor for photography, I'd compromise on the size of it and get a eizo coloredge 21" for about £600....

Infact there's EIZO ColorEdge CS230 24" on ebay uk for £590...... If i had £590 I'd probably buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.