Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Currently on an old 2006 Mac 1,1. Runs great now that I have 2 SSD's Stripped 0. Getting 500MB read/write. Its only a dual dual, but it works great. Wish I could run ML but, not going to try and hack it to support it. Waiting for the new Mac Pro's. :)

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Why wasn't the fact the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 started working in Mountain Lion worth a front-page news story? That card has been working well for many people (myself included) for the past few months.

Last edited:

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Mac Mini Quad Core

I spent two years waiting for a Mac Pro...what a waste. I finally bought the new Mac Mini Quad-Core with Fusion Drive and I am loving it. ($1k + $70 on amazon to get 16 GB RAM)

Not saying its a real Mac Pro replacement, just that if you think you want a Mac Pro but don't really need it and/or are tired of waiting... get the new Mac Mini! You wont regret it.

I do lots of work in FCP X, PhotoShop, Handbrake...etc and the results have been incredible. I am very satisfied with the purchase and am no longer itching for the Pro to be updated. What a joke that has been.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I spent two years waiting for a Mac Pro...what a waste. I finally bought the new Mac Mini Quad-Core with Fusion Drive and I am loving it. ($1k + $70 on amazon to get 16 GB RAM)

Not saying its a real Mac Pro replacement, just that if you think you want a Mac Pro but don't really need it and/or are tired of waiting... get the new Mac Mini! You wont regret it.

I do lots of work in FCP X, PhotoShop, Handbrake...etc and the results have been incredible. I am very satisfied with the purchase and am no longer itching for the Pro to be updated. What a joke that has been.

Interesting. I was ready to go mini until they yanked the graphics. Your experience sounds positive though. How does it handle Motion and the like that traditionally have leaned on discrete graphics for fast renders?

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
How much of the delay of new graphics cards is due to the time required to design stable drivers (aside from having a new mac pro to place the hardware in)?

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
How much of the delay of new graphics cards is due to the time required to design stable drivers (aside from having a new mac pro to place the hardware in)?

I'm not anticipating a new Mac Pro until NAB 2013, at the earliest - latest, WWDC 2013.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Tahiti?

What, did Apple license the trademark from Turtle Beach or something?

...which, when I think about it, would be pretty cool. TB had kickass addon hardware back in the day, before they went all headset-y. Loved me some Maui-- got one in my ol' Pentium 2 here.

/lawn, off, etc.

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Interesting. I was ready to go mini until they yanked the graphics. Your experience sounds positive though. How does it handle Motion and the like that traditionally have leaned on discrete graphics for fast renders?

It too was so upset when they pulled the discrete graphics. But I was tired of waiting so bought it anyway.

It handles motion fine. Not great, just fine. Again, I'm not doing professional work with it. Call it a hobby.

The Quad-Core and fusion drive have been great and the Intel 4000 has far exceeded my expectations.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Yawn.

The AMD HD 7000 series came out in FEBRUARY. :rolleyes:

Apple is ALWAYS a day late and a dollar short with video card support. It's embarrassing.

Like antster94 pointed out, the 8000's are on the horizon. So.... one can reasonably assume it will take Apple at least 10 months to add support for those new cards. :rolleyes:

Oh...... and the icing on the cake should be when Apple offers an AMD Radeon HD 7970 for something outrageous like $599.00. :rolleyes:

Know whats worse? Apple consumers willingly putting up with this.

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012

See some tests here:
http://www.barefeats.com/minivim.html

CPU is screaming fast, GPU is slower. Buy the mini, and if you hate it sell it when (*if) the Pro's ever come out. The re-sell on the Mini's is solid.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
If granny can't use it, then it's stupid. :mad:

I love how some people go on and on about how Apple is the Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, what have you of the PC world. How they're computers for people with taste and money.

But when you talk about the one machine Apple makes that's truly the Porsche, BMW whatever of their lineup, they go on and on about how it's a waste of time because it isn't a computer for the average consumer.

It's like...you know...stupid.

You nailed it friend. It'd be like buying a 911 turbo with 300 hp. It's absurd that they can get a screen 1 year ahead of the rest of the market, but can't even maintain pace with most modern internals. I just don't get it.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Bit late, 8000-Series is looming.

Hardware not out = no drivers to be expected.

Apple don't sell 7000 series cards yet, so no driver yet in a currently shipping OS is hardly surprising.

Microsoft doesn't ship AMD 7000 series drivers either - if you want to bitch to someone about driver support, try AMD. There's nothing to stop them shipping a driver.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I've been thinking about getting a new GPU for my Mac Pro mostly because my current one is really loud but also because it's old/weak.

----------

Question for all you Mac Pro users...

I currently own the 2010 iMac 27", 2.93ghz, 1tb, 16gb model....

Do you think the new Mac Pros over a top end iMac is even worth it?!?!?

No unless you're really looking for Mac Pro expandability. But the '08 Mac Pro is a good deal :)

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Tahiti?

What, did Apple license the trademark from Turtle Beach or something?

...which, when I think about it, would be pretty cool. TB had kickass addon hardware back in the day, before they went all headset-y. Loved me some Maui-- got one in my ol' Pentium 2 here.

/lawn, off, etc.

Tahiti is AMD's code name for the HD 79xx.

UylMv.jpg

Last edited:

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Rack mount is an enterprise feature, Apple really doesn't seem that interested in that space.

Rack-mount is also for professional media production, the Mac Pros target market.

i could use a rack-mount Mac Pro. I really hope they go in that direction.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I've been thinking about getting a new GPU for my Mac Pro mostly because my current one is really loud but also because it's old/weak.

Have a look on ebay for the PC GPU's with custom ROMs I have a 2Gb 285GTX and its pretty damn fast... and there are better options now...

from this guy... ebay link

My 2008 Mac Pro is still very fast for video / 3d work - 22Gb ram and SSD's help though.

But definitely looking forward to 2013 update.

I suspect it will..
Lose the Optical - possibly an option
Thunderbolt
16 Core.
New design

And as for all the people that say they will drop it... what do you think they are designing the iPads on? Not a Boxx or HP workstation! As Fast as the mobile devices are becoming workstations are magnitudes faster... and they will continue to be.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
If it's a real Pro machine, they can't afford to lose the optical drive and possibly even firewire ports...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.