Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Isn't apple always looking for ways to thin the iPhone? :)

Sorry it happened to you, I'd bring it in and be honest. You never know. I had a 4s go into the pool with me, dried it out, absolutely no permanent damage, worked 100% until I upgraded to the 5. Paint thinner however is probably worse than water, lots of plastic inside the phone I'd think.

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
if it works dont worry about it. if it doesnt change it. i work with electronics all the time. and we clean all soldered boards with alcohol. if it dried and nothing happened i wouldnt worry too much. thats just me.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I bought my phone 29 days before I decided to get apple care, I called to ask of I had to come in and the transferred me over to the customer service agent who would put it on with out an inspection. You can do it over the phone within 30 days

sevendust

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
no need to worry if it's not soaked. the only problem you will have will be the outside parts, it might get too shiny or somewhat melted but with the electronics part of it, it is safe as long as it's not soaked.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Applecare doesn't cover accidents.

"AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee."

Taken from Apple.com

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys,

I dropped my iPhone 5 in a bucket of paint thinner at work. It was submerged, but I grabbed it as quick as possible. I just started my contract last week on Rogers (Canada).

Does anyone have tips on what I can do to clean it out? It still works, however the corners are a shiny bright now. Should I be worried? I'm still at work so I've wrapped it in a towel for now. If it should be wrecked, does anyone know if Rogers or Apple can help me out? After all, I did just start my contract last week.

Return it.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
pics!

buy applecare+ over the phone (I've done this twice on my previous 4S and my fiancee's) and they don't check the phone. Then go into apple store boom.

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
People never cease to amaze me.

Dropped it in paint thinner... Are you kidding me...

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Seriously, someone should start a database with I DROPPED MY IPHONE INTO _____________ and then show JOKES, FIXES... :)

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Hey guys,

I dropped my iPhone 5 in a bucket of paint thinner at work. It was submerged, but I grabbed it as quick as possible. I just started my contract last week on Rogers (Canada).

Does anyone have tips on what I can do to clean it out? It still works, however the corners are a shiny bright now. Should I be worried? I'm still at work so I've wrapped it in a towel for now. If it should be wrecked, does anyone know if Rogers or Apple can help me out? After all, I did just start my contract last week.

This proves that the iPhone 5 metal is painted.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I'm also interested in this. Paint thinner evaporates remarkably fast. It's also flammable, and does not conduct electricity. It also should not have activated the water sensors. If the OP wasn't trolling, I'd really like to know how this turned out!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Any portables dropped in water you are meant to use a hoover to get the water out so you could try that. Also I believe apple give you 30 days to buy apple care+ (witch covers accidental damage)

I would go to an apple store and buy apple care+ for you phone (if you are able to) don't tell them you dropped it in paint thinner, then in a week or two, if your phone dies apple will replace it.

In other words, commit fraud.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
In other words, commit fraud.

And also explode the vacuum cleaner... When the paint thinner gets sucked into the vacuum cleaner, it will turn into vapor which is highly flammable. The motor which creates the suction will ignite the vapor and cause a nice fire.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
What kind of paint thinner?

I actually use some 'paint thinners' to clean electronics.

Alcohol is not considered paint thinner.

Paint thinner can be any of the following:

Mineral spirits/White spirit/Varsol
Acetone
Mineral turpentine
True turpentine
Naphtha
Methyl ethyl ketone
Dimethylformamide
2-Butoxyethanol
Ethylbenzene
Xylene
n-butyl acetate
Butan-1-ol
Though it would result in a cloudy paint, gasoline, kerosene, or diesel fuel could also be used as paint thinner.

I use mineral spirits to clean my bicycle chain (dissolves oil)

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
I'm thinking this was better than water. At least it probably won't corrode the connectors. Maybe disintegrate the speakers? Or melt a few things inside, but I think he might get lucky and it will be ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.