Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Did anybody buy the Sphero remote control ball thing you can control with your iPhone? I found some old threads on here when it was first announced at CES, but nobody who had one. There's about 13 apps for it now and it looks like the sort of thing my daughter would like for Christmas. Any one got it and do a mony review or suggest something similar?

http://www.gosphero.com/

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Got one wrapped under tree for my Dad so will report back on 12/25 :)

sindekit

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
My lil brother got one a couple months ago. I think it's pretty cool, but the coolness fades away very quickly, well at least for me. There's a bunch of colors you can set it to. You'll need a large play area since it's pretty much like a little RC car. It's waterproof so you can play with it in the pool I guess...haha.

The thing is that it's not worth the price. If it were maybe $75 it would be a pretty good buy!

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
After a time, watching a sphere roll on the ground would become boring. Its a gimmick.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
it is a pretty neat toy....but like another poster said, it kind of loses it's appeal rather soon. i think if there were multiple people with the balls it would be more fun.

wljames

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Worth it

Sphero will not only entertain your cat and kids, but it's programmable and there are multiplayer and controller games like Exile (which is just awesome). Driving it around in public never gets old, either! If you're still considering for Christmas, check out Sharky the Beaver AR. There's nothing else like it right now in my opinion.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Bit of an old thread, but how did the gift work out? Any good or does it sit in a drawer not being used? My daughters birthday coming up and I'm stuck for ideas.

His dogs, papillon, love chasing it and yapping. :) *shrug*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.