Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swagged

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Gotham City, New York
When you capture a picture during a recordng theres more picture, and fills the screen, whereas you get less picture (probably the size of the iphone4/4s screen) when snapping with the stock camera app. It's a big difference for me.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
When you capture a picture during a recordng theres more picture, and fills the screen, whereas you get less picture (probably the size of the iphone4/4s screen) when snapping with the stock camera app. It's a big difference for me.

Yes that is correct Video is taken in 16:9 and stills from the video will match that resolution. Digital pictures on the other hand follow industry standard 4:3 size, and thats why pictures are smaller.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Thats because the "take a picture while shooting a video" function basically just saves a single frame of 1080p video as a picture... So you wind up with a picture about same aspect ratio as the iPhones 5's screen, 16x9. Its essentially just a cropped version of what the iPhone 5's camera is capable of. There are probably some other shortcomings in regards to picture quality when using this function as well (iso maybe?).

Take two pictures, one with the camera and one with the video camera, inspect each photo, you'll see the actual photo from the camera is much higher quality. The one from the video will be 1920*1080 while the actual picture will be 3264*2448, the latter being closer to the aspect ratio of the iPhone 4 as you mentioned.

In the end, you're better off taking pictures with the camera and cropping them manually.

Swagged

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Gotham City, New York
Thats because the "take a picture while shooting a video" function basically just saves a single frame of 1080p video as a picture... So you wind up with a picture about same aspect ratio as the iPhones 5's screen, 16x9. Its essentially just a cropped version of what the iPhone 5's camera is capable of. There are probably some other shortcomings in regards to picture quality when using this function as well (iso maybe?).

Take two pictures, one with the camera and one with the video camera, inspect each photo, you'll see the actual photo from the camera is much higher quality. The one from the video will be 1920*1080 while the actual picture will be 3264*2448, the latter being closer to the aspect ratio of the iPhone 4 as you mentioned.

In the end, you're better off taking pictures with the camera and cropping them manually.

Well, this helps, because I was definitely going to start taking pictures via video camera, that was until I read this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.