Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you think will sell more over the long haul? 7" or 10" tablet?

• 7" tablet

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • 10" tablet

Votes: 63 27.6%

• Total voters

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I've had the iPad 2 and 3 and I prefer the mini leaps and bounds over them. The screen is better than my iPad 2 had but I only semi miss my retina on the 3 on certain web pages.

Having said that the 10 will outsell the 7 at least for the first couple generations

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
10" screw the Mini. iPhone is far more portable than the mini. Jobs said it best... 7" tablets are dead on arrival.

doctorxring

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006
Female Vote -- The Mini is Just Right

Heck yeah

What good is a 10 inch iPad when all her purse will hold is a 7 inch ?

:D

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
In the apple store yesterday, all the attention was going to the mini. A device of that size and weight is just very attractive--even--magical. The mini is not truly pocketable--imo--but the light weight is very impressive. I hope apple holds off on retina if it adds weight. The mini will predominate until apple is able to lighten up the ipad and reduce the bezel.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I guess the 7"-8" model will rule the tablet marketplace.

Unless Samsung 6.3" Galaxy Note 3 phablet prove to be popular. (Samsung expect 20 millions of Galaxy Note 2 to be sold).

Who know, maybe one day in the future, phablet will be king since you don't have to carry both a phone and a tablet with you.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I personally don't like really small tablets since I have an iPhone, but I'd argue that the mini will probably be sell more in a couple years - but only because it's cheaper. And only when it gets a retina display.

If Apple were offering older retina iPads for cheaper than newer iPad minis, I'm pretty sure that people would invest in the iPad.

Most of us use our iPads as multi-media devices. I like medium size screens for my phone, but when it comes to a tablet, I think bigger screen = better. I'd rather browse web on a bigger screen. I'd rather view photos on a bigger screen. I'd rather watch movies and TV shows on a bigger screen. I'd rather FaceTime on a bigger screen.

I just don't get the portability argument - I mean can anyone honestly tell me that there are certain places one would bring an iPad mini but not an iPad? Both would be fine in portable areas: trains, buses, airplanes, school, etc. But both also wouldn't be good in non portable areas: wouldn't bring either to a bar, wouldn't bring either to a restaurant, wouldn't bring either to during a night out with friends, etc. - that's what our mobile devices (iPhone in my case) are for.

It's the same reason why you see a majority of Macbook users preferring Macbook 15'' over Macbook 13'', but at the same time, you see iPhone users saying that the GS III is too big, while the iPhone is perfect:

When it comes to multi-media devices that will more than likely require medium to large amounts of computing (ie. tablet, laptop, and desktop), then we prefer bigger devices. But when it comes to multi-media devices that will more than likely require small amounts of computing (ie. phone) bigger screens are not always better.

So again, I don't think that people will give up iPads for iPad minis in the future because of portability reasons, because iPads are more than portable and ideal for a tablet computer. But rather, I think it'll be more an issue of price.

Last edited:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My first choice will always be the 10" iPad. Even if the mini had a retina display I would still prefer the larger screen. Ultimately I think the mini will outsell the 10 inch tablet because of price and portability.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We truncate, not round.
Truncating is rounding down.

It's hard to say once the novelty of the Mini wears off.

If Apple can do a Retina Mini at the same size weight and price then it will dominate, but if the 10 hour rMini is the weight of the iPad 2, or the rMini is the weight of the Mini but with a 6 hour battery, it will not be as compelling a choice. However, if the iPad 5 gets back to the iPad 2's weight, it will be more popular, because aparantly one and a half pounds is all of a sudden a burden to carry.

Last edited:

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
If they make the 10" more portable, the full sized iPad can still remain king

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
The general doesn't buy based on what is better, they purchase things based on the price. And because of that the mini will sell better, even though it's blatantly inferior to the full sized iPad.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
It doesn't matter what the decimal is in rounding down either.

Rounding down both 9.7 and 9.26238742187364 both result in 9.

By math rules, 9.7 would normally be rounded up. You don't technically "round down" a number that is .5 or higher. What you're doing is truncating it (removing anything after the whole number).

Anyway, not here to argue, just stating facts.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
It's interesting to speculate, but will this data ever be available. The mini will outsell the ipad by quite bit--i'm guessing--2 or 3 to one. It might be higher. The mini will attract women in a way the ipad never did. The fate of the ipad will be tied to apple's ability to shed wieght from the larger device. I think a sub-pound ipad with reduced bezels would recapture the "magic".

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
7" cause people are cheap not because the size.

If that were true, the myriad Android 7" tablets would be the big winners by far (in the short and long run). People buy based on price *sometimes* (though not so much with Apple products), but many times (see all the threads with people saying this) they buy based on form factor (which is why I bought a mini).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I note that the poll seems to indicate the 7" is going to outsell the 10" retina, and I find that puzzling, but I really didn't think the mini would sell the way it has. I'm just not tempted by it, and even if Apple produce a retina capable model, I would still stick to the 10"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.