Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnknownStudent

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Too much white in the back cover.

The excessing amount of white spacing on the back cover of the magazine acts as a marketing tactic for advertisement of the iPad mini. The point of the white spacing is a comparison of spacing. It is trying to demonstrate how the iPad mini is able to do the same job as a standard 8.5" x 11" and the iPad is only 5.3" x 7.87".

I know that there are many criticism about the new iPad mini that it is not up to standard with the current retina display technology from Apple. But I see the whole focus to the iPad mini is to target a new line of investor, ebook users. Ebook is a popular trend in today's society. I have taken the CTrain from downtown core back home for many years. In the early years until now, I see a transformation of people who read paperback books to reading ebooks now. Therefore, the advertisement image have proved this point and many people do not see this.

Last edited:

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Too bad the already small fonts many magazines use will fade to a blurry mess on the mini. Yes, I've tried and seen with my own eyes. You have to hope the mag utilizes the text feature and you'll be using it on every page / article that isn't comprised entirely of pictures.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
These ads leave a weird feeling... Something unfinished. White space makes me feel like something is missing, like there is more than that ipad in the corner can give...
[that was my first opinion]

Although when you're holding this magazine in your hands the feeling may be very different.
[that was the second after a couple of minutes]

80's look. Classy, but very unusual for these days. Should attract people's attention.
[that's the last one]

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Classy. Samsung needs to take some notes. Microsoft too, tablets don't dance and click.

I'd love to know how much Samsung has spent on advertising. I swear every other commercial is a Samsung one. Just tonight I've seen the LeBron James Galaxy Note commercial 5 times. I'm getting really sick of their commercials on TV 24/7.

UnknownStudent

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Too bad the already small fonts many magazines use will fade to a blurry mess on the mini. Yes, I've tried and seen with my own eyes. You have to hope the mag utilizes the text feature and you'll be using it on every page / article that isn't comprised entirely of pictures.

This isn't true. The magazine that you would be looking at on the iPad mini isn't a actual scanned version from the magazine. It is actually recreated to fit and work for the iPad. When you zoom into the text on any article, reading, and similar text documents on an iPad or iPhone, it auto focuses the text and clears it out for readers.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

name the magazine where the font was a faded blurry mess. i will download that magazine and take a picture with my iPhone of my iPad Mini displaying the magazine.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
These ads are a confirmation that Apple marketing has the same clever emotional and minimalist direction they've had for years and years.

Still going strong.

If you order one of those grand-spanking-new $3000 iMacs on Friday, they should at least throw in a free iPad Mini.

But Apple doesn't do stuff like this.

Thanks for the productive input on a post about an iPad mini advert. :rolleyes:

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Great Ad, but I don't like how the New Yorker cover has black on left edge so it makes the iPad mini's bezel look larger than actuality.

Maybe it's just more pronounced in this picture, I hope the distinction is noticeable in the ad itself.

(Edit: Oh, the ipad mini might be viewing it in landscape, it could be the top info bar (with wifi strength etc))

Last edited:

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Magazine looks better

I think it shows how the magazine is better. It's larger and easier to read. The only thing it shows about the mini is that it might be small enough to carry around and that the mini can be a viable and yet inferior alternative to having the larger print media.
Ofcourse I'm sure that Time Magazine would reformat their articles so that they work on the mini but it doesn't say that.
Personally I love reading news digitally and I've been doing it for years because it's so much faster and convenient. News is instantly readily available but the advert doesn't convey any of that, for me it conveys the pitfals not the pro's. It reminds me of the positives of print media that I've left behind.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Would have been nicer on the cover - Like the infamous Steve Jobs photo:

steve-jobs-ipad-83728228ac939366_medium.jpg

Whaddaya talk? Those start at $1299! :confused: Troll much?

A 27" 3.4GHz iMac with 32GB of RAM, a 3TB Fusion Drive, 768GB of Flash, and 2GB video card will likely run over $3,000 -- I meant Apple should run a promotion for their "high rollers" if you will...in other words, spend enough on Apple equipment and they might throw in an iPad or two on the side.

Businesses have done stuff like this for years -- very few do it anymore.

Last edited:

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Businesses have done stuff like this for years -- very few do it anymore.

I would love to hear some examples of companies giving away one of their hottest selling new products along with the purchase of another.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I think it shows how the magazine is better. It's larger and easier to read. The only thing it shows about the mini is that it might be small enough to carry around and that the mini can be a viable and yet inferior alternative to having the larger print media.
Ofcourse I'm sure that Time Magazine would reformat their articles so that they work on the mini but it doesn't say that.
Personally I love reading news digitally and I've been doing it for years because it's so much faster and convenient. News is instantly readily available but the advert doesn't convey any of that, for me it conveys the pitfals not the pro's. It reminds me of the positives of print media that I've left behind.

I'm sorry, but that is idiotic reasoning. Everyone who has ever used a tablet, especially an iOS tablet knows that the text on the tablet is resizable, and will morph via smart zoom while retaining its original clarity and sharpness. Paper text is one size, and never changes.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Ironically, here's a great reason not to buy iPads: you don't get ads as awesome as the ones in print magazines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.