Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sngraphics

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
My SMT1000I is set to...

Main Menu - Configuration - Local Power Quality : Good

It only goes to batteryonly if there is a local power event and never complains when I turn on the Mac Pro and 27" ACD. It is running as configured in my sig and idles at 26% load which gives about 45-50 minutes on battery.

I have the settings set exactly the same.

And I still get the "Popping" noise when the Mac starts/wakes up.
What do I do now?
Is there anything that has to be done or is this how this unit is supposed to behave when a MacPro draws from it?

Mine idles at 37% load and is giving now about 30min on battery.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I have the settings set exactly the same.

And I still get the "Popping" noise when the Mac starts/wakes up.
What do I do now?
Is there anything that has to be done or is this how this unit is supposed to behave when a MacPro draws from it?

Mine idles at 37% load and is giving now about 30min on battery.

This is definitely not the way ANY power supply should behave. Give APC call/email and get their opinion on what you should do. Good luck.

mokeiko

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Given the effort you have gone through to check this, it is time to investigate your warranty with APC or Amazon.

An officially refurbished unit from APC would be an acceptable compromise given you didn't buy it new from APC.

sngraphics

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
This is definitely not the way ANY power supply should behave. Give APC call/email and get their opinion on what you should do. Good luck.

mokeiko

When I was on the phone with the last rep they didn't really know what to tell me about the noise. It looks like I will have to get a another rep (or two or three) on the phone to see if anyone there will be able to figure this one out.

Given the effort you have gone through to check this, it is time to investigate your warranty with APC or Amazon.

An officially refurbished unit from APC would be an acceptable compromise given you didn't buy it new from APC.

Yes there is still an APC warranty until 2013 and they were not hesitant about replacing it if necessary.
From everyone I have gotten on the phone there, they have all been very helpful. Excellent service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.