Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Hi All,

I am almost at the point of buying an iPad mini. One of the main reasons is to read magazines. I live in Portugal but am English and miss UK magazines.

I already download magazines and read them on either my iPhone 4S or my MBP, but scrolling and zooming is a chore on the iPhone and the Mac is too unwieldy for relaxing reading.

Can anyone with a iPad mini report on the magazine reading experience? I use Zinio as well as iOS magazine apps.

dpc

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
OC, CA
I read a graphic novel on the mini yesterday. It was tolerable. I didn't zoom that much. I guess it also depends on your vision.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I had this same concern about the mini, but I've been very pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to read magazines on the mini. You do have to do a bit of double tapping to zoom here and there, but it is quick and easy to do.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
I have a 2 year subscription of TIME magazine so I have tablet access as well. My experience so far is pretty okay, text do seem a bit pixelated and small because of the non-retina and smaller screen, but it's perfectly acceptable if you don't hold it too close to your face, and TIME has also hidden some of the page's elements so that they can only be accessed if you tap on it, rather than make it a direct reproduction of the print version where the content would be too small to read. They fit the article in a page and if it's too small to be read comfortably then they will put only part of it at first glance and you need to scroll down to read the rest. :D

328xi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I am reading the same magazines I read on my ipad1 with my mini without any issues. In fact since the mini is smaller and more ergonomic it is much easier.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Reading books (Kindle app) and magazines (zinio app) ere my two largest uses of my ipad. I recently switched from an iPad 2 to a mini and love the mini for reading

I find I read more in portrait mode on the mini where I mostly used landscape on my ipad 2 but find the mini just fine.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i actually find myself using landscape mode more often b/c it makes the mini easier to hold (thicker bezel) and i have to zoom-in less often

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Reading magazines on the mini is very good. I came from an iPad 3 and use my mini so much more due to it's weight and size. I read tons of magazines, didn't read them as much on my previous full size iPads because I would get tired of holding it (not that it is heavy, but after holding it for a while you begin to adjust yourself so as not to make the iPad top heavy and also change positions to get comfortable. This does not happen with the mini. I am reading so much more.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I adore reading Zinio magazines, Free graphic Novels and the Mental Floss magazine is awesome on the Mini.

Very enjoyable for me and a great size

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've read comic books on my mini and while I zoomed in on a couple of areas I found the experience to be quite enjoyable

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Full size ipad is too heavy for relaxing reading. I prefer the mini in almost every way. However if you are going to sit at a table or desk and set it on a stand, then the full size ipad would be a little better because the ipad will be farther from your face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.