Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Dear friend. The iMac is NOT a pro machine.

1) Screen: Every frackin screen issue with Apple (yellow imac, retina mbp, ipad) has been due to LG screens. Now all screens on iMac are LG. God only knows what will be wrong with these. Pros can not use these reject screens.

Nearly every professional display in the past 10 years has used an LG IPS panel. Reject screens? Whole runs are made for Apple and technology advancements are made under contract from Apple.The issue is Apple's volume more than anything to do with LG's technology. If Apple only used Samsung's panels you'd still have issues due to the unavoidable failure rates manufacturing has.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I don't burn a ton of cd's or dvd's but in the event that I need to I don't want to have to burn desk space for an external... Hints?

Buy a small one you can hide behind the iMac on one of those shelves, or keep it in a drawer and plug it in when you need it.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I am not sure everyone can appreciate your humor. Let's see, iMac G5 2005 right now on eBay goes for $190. Is that what it cost to buy it back then? Yeah, gobble up that Apple RAM! ANother claim - this iMac will serve you 7 years... Really? How does that 17" monitor from 2005 G5 sound today? Ridiculous? Not to mention the fact that Apple will make sure that you have to upgrade in two years by releasing a new OS that will not support your two year old computer.
There are exactly zero examples of a two year old Apple computer that cannot run the current Mac OS. I know, you were using hyperbole, but that might be taking it a bit too far.

But you are right, getting your RAM from Apple is not the best value, except of course if you place a high value on your time.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Apple products need just as many repairs as any other reputable brand of computer. The only difference is that Apple's service channels are a little more convenient than some. I'm an Apple tech by trade, and I had a good chuckle at this.

I work for an Apple repair center, and one of my clients has an Xserve currently awaiting a replacement logic board. The machine is supposed to be covered by an Apple 4-hour Silver on-site service agreement, however it's now 24 hours later and I'm still waiting for Apple to dispatch the replacement parts. Nobody internally can provide me with any information other than "we're looking into it".

Their business is extremely limited until this Xserve is repaired. I wouldn't be surprised if that client no longer purchased Apple hardware, and at this stage, I really can't blame them.

Also, for what it's worth, the memory modules installed by Apple into their product range are standard Hynix modules. There's nothing special about them, they don't have any Apple branding and the part numbers on the chips are the equivalent to your typical off-the-shelf standard notebook memory. Remember, it's the Intel chipset that the memory has to interface with. There's nothing special about a Mac Logic Board that necessitates the need for special memory and Apple certainly doesn't supply special memory, they just charge a premium to have it installed out of the box.

screw Apple. I am done with em.

Deanobear

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I Can't Wait!

My first post!

I just cancelled my Dell order for an AIO (with Win8, 27" touch screen etc.) ... It's going t be cheaper to purchase a BTO iMac than it was with Dell with an upgrade to Win8Pro, Office, etc. I'm looking forward to a new 27" iMac no matter what anyone says ;)

nematoda2

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2012
That would be nice for sure.

I can't believe that we've come to the point where a high end iMac model is as much as my MacPro was in 2008. Ah well, such is life.

Of course, when I bought my Mac SE in 1990 or so, it was $2,500. Had a 20MB hard drive, hand Motorola 8MHz processor, 1 MB of ram, and a floppy drive.

jbrunner14

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
When exactly do sales begin?

I am new to ordering an Apple product at the first launch and was wondering if anyone knows exactly what time online sales begin for the new iMac.

Is it midnight EST? Midnight PST? Some time later in the morning?

I appreciate any insight.

1251division

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
We got an original IBM PC at launch for that price: 0.00477GHz, 320x200x4 graphics, 0.000016GB RAM, 0.00016GB storage. Bandwidth measured in feet per second. Monitor not included.

31 years later, for the same price we're getting something 2800x faster, 345x pixels & color depth, 1,000,000x more memory, and 6,250,000x greater storage. Incomparable bandwidth. Everything included in monitor.

Never mind that the value of a dollar has dropped to 1/3rd in the meantime.

Now get off my lawn. :cool:

Thank you for reminding everyone of these facts. To your point, they should just list the prices in ounces of gold.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
It kills me that they only have a 768GB pure SSD option, and that it costs $1,300. Why not 512GB?

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
OK... I didn't read through the whole forum, but the whole idea of not having an optical drive bothers me. I know it is super thin and the design is really sick looking... But the missing drive, I can't over look... I don't burn a ton of cd's or dvd's but in the event that I need to I don't want to have to burn desk space for an external... Hints?

Under OSX, you can access ANY DVD Drive from any other Apple or Windoze computer, Remotely and wirelessly.

I have a Mac Mini (office) And a 2008 iMac (moving to sons room), on my home network, each with a super drive. .....Next.

Can't wait to order my Brand Spankin' New, 27 inch iMac, thoroughly spec'd out, including 768GB Flash drive.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Hey, if this is the machine that fits your needs, great.

But you have no idea of what "professionals" need.
A MacBook Air with a 27 inch screen is not "it"

Where did I EVER mention that professionals should use a MacBook Air?

:rolleyes:

----------

screw Apple. I am done with em.

Laterz.

----------

Not even GTX 690 can withstand the next 5 years tech.

I've heard the samw tune for 6970M back then on iMac 2011. Well it was barely able to play Battlefield 3 on native resolution. Not even that smooth on 1080p.

And 1 year later, Battlefield 3 is not even the baddest boy out there. Ican feel my GPU pushed a bit far now. They want you to buy new things, not caving inwith the same hw for5 years. Nothing on this new iMac would work well or decent for the next 5years standard.

Your argument has some validity to it if you're solely referring to computer "gamers" on Apple products. The majority of Apples customer base aren't "gamers" though.

Everyone knows that as soon as you feel your Apple product becoming dated... you can sell it for a decent retail value... 3 - 4 years after its release. That's pretty much a solid way to keep your investment in the Apple ecosystem while maintaining the newest tech from them. It's not ideal but it's not THAT different from upgrading your PC every year with new components only to realize that your mobo is outdated 5 years down the line anyway.

And I'm typing this to you from my 2005 iMac PPC G5. 2.5 Gigs.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have made up my mind

I will still buy the base model 27 inch next year December. But I will of course be maxing out to the 3 TB fusion drive and buy the after market RAM. Of course, I will need to go into my Savings Account to add to the expenditure (didn't want to do that), since I will be purchasing an iPad too. I already have 2,000 saved up outside of that.

This will be my first Mac, but man, this gonna be a lot of money to spend on a computer in 2013. Would be nice if Apple phased out 21 inch and make the base model 27 inch become the new 1299. :) I Wish!

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Are those people who complain about the RAM prices teenagers or what? what planet are they living on? Apple has been overcharging on RAM since day one.:rolleyes:

It's a new problem since Apple started sealing their computers up with a chastity belt.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Why 5400rpm drives on the 21-inch model? Heat dissipation when compared to the 27" one shouldn't be that much worse to not be able to compensate for the extra ~10°F that a faster drive will generate. That's just sh__ty on their part, since it seems that they're only purposely crippling the performance of the cheaper model, only to get you to buy the more expensive one.
Yes. General heat, even in Fº, is between about 90-110º. Only a 20ºF variation from most current gen HDD's. Most are intermixed 5400 and 7200. 7200 is on average higher but it depends on the manufacturer and model and even then if a computer can't compensate for 5ºF extra heat it is seriously undercooled to begin with. There are 5400's that put out more heat than 7200's and even 10,000RPM'rs.

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
No on-site repairs unless you are using a third party, which negates AppleCare and is a risk should they further damage your system.

Actually, AppleCare DOES offer on-site repairs for Desktop systems. I had a hard drive fail in an iMac a few years back, and Apple sent out a tech to my house to perform the repair. He laid out a clean cloth on my dining room table, put on white gloves, and proceeded with the service. I only had to wait a couple of days. All in all, it was an excellent experience. It was fascinating watching him use the suction cups to remove the glass to get at the interior, and he protected the glass in a special sleeve to keep dust off.

Mareklug

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
The only thing that will redeem the criminal memory prices...

...in my eyes, somewhat partially, is if Apple managed to engineer "hidden" 802.11ac networking hardware capacity into these 2012 units. Sort of like they did 802.11n in early 2009 iMacs. Still, shame, shame. And I am a Mac II cx continuous Apple owner. I've literally paid top dollar for Apple stuff over the years, and back then it really was expensive.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I have a high end 24 inch iMac from 2007 and it does NOT run Mountain Lion properly. I'm looking at the beach ball all the time, the GUI is very unresponsive, apps bounce forever when loading, ... I'm not sure I'd this new IMac is worth the upgrade as each new OS upgrade demands (too) much to even run the basics.

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
Is there not an Audio In on the new iMac? I see there's Audio Out / Headphones but not In....

I was wondering the same thing. Can't import CDs, can't import audio from external sources either. Hey, it saves weight!

Cue all the Faithful.... attacking you for being an old fashioned dinosaur- saying YOU don't need an audio-in on your computer because THEY don't use theirs. How dare you even bring it up. After all, you can buy just about anything you would want to import from Itunes for a nominal fee.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Per one of the YouTube reviewers, there is no audio out. If you do audio work, you're going to have to rig up a work around or find an older Mac.

I do wish Jonny would get off his anorexic kick and let desktops be desktops. Who cares about the weight, your desk isn't going to complain. I totally understand the need for lighter laptops, but there's a reason we want to buy an ALL_IN_ONE desktop. We don't want to have to attach extra boxes to do what the 2011 Mac did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.