Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
So, I'm sure you've heard of the rumors that before Steve Jobs died, one of the last things he did was to work on the iPhone 5 and make that one of the items Apple would release. Does anyone think this is true? I find it hard to believe Jobs did anything on the iPhone 5 because it's so lacking in any wow factor in the face of so much competition from Samsung. If I was in Steve Jobs' shoes working on the final project of my life, I wouldn't have been so conservative. What is most likely is that Jobs did not do anything at all with the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, etc....

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
All it said was that he left a road map for apple product for next few years (I think 5). It has plenty of wow factor. People these days are just unimpressed by amazing technology because its abundant.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
I hope Steve Jobs planned for an upcoming iNote.

I really wish my iphone had a bigger screen. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be happy with a Galaxy Note 2 sized iPhone.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
So, I'm sure you've heard of the rumors that before Steve Jobs died, one of the last things he did was to work on the iPhone 5 and make that one of the items Apple would release. Does anyone think this is true? I find it hard to believe Jobs did anything on the iPhone 5 because it's so lacking in any wow factor in the face of so much competition from Samsung. If I was in Steve Jobs' shoes working on the final project of my life, I wouldn't have been so conservative. What is most likely is that Jobs did not do anything at all with the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, etc....

The iPhone 5 has plenty of the wow factor. First of all it is the fastest phone currently on the market. On geekbench it scores 1665 where the SIII only score around 1400. If that isn't wow then I don't know what is. If by wow factors you actually mean gimmicks then no it doesn't have any of those because the SIIi has plenty of gimmicks to go around.

S

syd430

The risks will be left for the iphone 6. There was no reason to take a huge gamble with the iphone 5.

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Steve even worked on the yet unheard of

Steve even worked on the yet unheard of i-Hologram. First previewed when the showed Tupac on stage at Coachella.
A virtual 3D hologram that you can interact and touch via virtual reality. A floating in virtual space keyboard.

YA Steve was brilliant

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm sure he did.

Surely they (Steve) didn't spend all that time designing the 4S. The 4S probably took them, like, 20 minutes to put together.

I tend to agree that the 5 isn't particularly "wowing", but by that account, looking at some of the iPhone upgrades, they weren't really that "wowing" either. However, the upgrades are just as significant (if not more) than were the upgrades from original to 3G, 3G to 3GS , or 4 to 4S.

Original -> 3G iPhone ... 3G feature
3G -> 3G ... faster, better camera, basically.
4 -> 4S ... faster, better camera, basically.
4S - > 5... bigger screen, LTE, faster...

I know there are more upgrades than that :eek: I can't think of them off the top of my head right now. But I think you see where I'm getting at.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Steve Jobs set down a list of probable technologies, projects, and goals for Apple to achieve.
This is what I would think. Of course everything is apropos to current available technology , consumer needs, profitability etc.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I just think he prepared a very broad roadmap for products like:

Make sure to have Apple Maps ready by 2012
Siri should be out of beta by iPhone 6
Make sure all products are retina by 2014
Slowly drop MacPro
etc

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I just think he prepared a very broad roadmap for products like:

Make sure to have Apple Maps ready by 2012
Siri should be out of beta by iPhone 6
Make sure all products are retina by 2014
Slowly drop MacPro
etc

well, looks like apple already failed at accomplishing the first one. :rolleyes:

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
The risks will be left for the iphone 6. There was no reason to take a huge gamble with the iphone 5.

nope nope.

iphone 5 is actually a year old. the latest technology from apple is usually a year old. they are working on iphone 6 now, and start developing iphone 6S once the 5S is released. Software updates come as they go. usually on a annual cycle.

so, when iphone 4 was released, steve began work on 5. so yes, he was involved.

i find the iphone 5 formfactor impressive over the previous one. the lacking 'wow' factor is due to the fact that iOS isn't changing much. They need to reinvent the UI and make major upgrades. kind of like how Mac OS went from normal to Aqua. Some sexy wow factor.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I think the OP here overstates the "direct" (I emphasize direct) contribution by Jobs to any product. Didn't the turtleneck overlord pride himself on finding talent?

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012

I really wish my iphone had a bigger screen. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be happy with a Galaxy Note 2 sized iPhone.

Get the Galaxy S III then. I'm pretty sure iPhone users don't want a phone that's too big in both weight and screen size - because then it'll just feel too bulky. I think the iPhone 5's screen size is more than good enough with respect to what I'd expect out of a mobile phone... hell, I was even content with the iPhone 4S' screen.

If you want screen real estate, get an iPad mini or an iPad.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I think it was best Steve passed away at Apples prime, I think he would be sad to see where Apple is heading.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You mean like Podcasts, Find My Friends, Cards, Game Center, Passbook, Newsstand?

No I mean with the iOS programming API that enables third party developers to do cool stuff.

iOS is a platform. The base included apps are not all the device is capable of - and they're not all Apple is at least partially responsible for.

Without a stable, functional API there would be no apps. If apple didn't update the API, advancement in what new apps could do with the device would progress more slowly.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I do wonder how far he planned into the future, though. Yes, the roadmap for 5 years, but I wonder if he got really general and far into the future, like wrote out his vision of the ideal computing experience for the next 100 years or so.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I find it hard to believe Jobs did anything on the iPhone 5 because it's so lacking in any wow factor in the face of so much competition from Samsung.

The first things I thought when I picked up the iPhone 5 for the first time?

Wow, it's thin.
Wow, it's light, but doesn't feel cheap.
Wow, LTE is fast.
Wow, the UI is smooth.
Wow, the extra screen real estate is handy.
Wow, it looks cool.

As for the competition from Samsung...

Wow, it feels cheap and plasticky.
Wow, the screen looks iridescent green and feels mushy.
Wow, scrolling is choppy. Zooming too.
Wow, the jumble of icons and buttons on the home page are so unintuitive and inconsistent.

That's 6 wows to 4, for those of you keeping score.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012

iPad mini. Note 2 is way too damn big for a phone!

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
As for the competition from Samsung...

Wow, it feels cheap and plasticky.
Wow, the screen looks iridescent green and feels mushy.
Wow, scrolling is choppy. Zooming too.
Wow, the jumble of icons and buttons on the home page are so unintuitive and inconsistent.

That's 6 wows to 4, for those of you keeping score.

But the phones actually feel ok. But the screen looks a lot more vibrant compared to the iPhone 5. But with Jellybean 4.1/4.2 scrolling is "butter" smooth. But the icons never go anywhere unless you move them just like the iPhone.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
But the phones actually feel ok. But the screen looks a lot more vibrant compared to the iPhone 5. But with Jellybean 4.1/4.2 scrolling is "butter" smooth. But the icons never go anywhere unless you move them just like the iPhone.

But you need to get your eyes checked. But the icons/home screens are still a jumbled mess to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.