Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
We have a new "redeem" code page tonight in the iTunes Store. I don't know if anyone remembers what it looked like but it used to have the code entry to the right and now the entry space is below the image and uses larger / bolder font. Also, it required me to sign into my account before going to the redeem page, whereas previously I would have to sign in after redeeming the code. I don't know if this is tied to the store redesign in iTunes 11 or just a minor update, but I was happy to spot it.

Previously:

HT2737-itunes_store-redeem_code-001-en.png

New Page:

newredeem.jpg

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
We have a new "redeem" code page tonight in the iTunes Store. I don't know if anyone remembers what it looked like but it used to have the code entry to the right and now the entry space is below the image and uses larger / bolder font. Also, it required me to sign into my account before going to the redeem page, whereas previously I would have to sign in after redeeming the code. I don't know if this is tied to the store redesign in iTunes 11 or just a minor update, but I was happy to spot it.

What's that 4th card for? I've seen the other 3 at retail, but not the black and white one.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
if this thing doesn't drop tomorrow, we are going to be in for a nice looooooong wait

Yeah, like maybe a whole 24 or 48 hours... OMG!!!

If it doesnt come out tomorrow I'm gonna put my foot through my Macbook and send Tim Cook the bill.

Well, now that's productive. Apple says iTunes 11 will be out by the end of November, and several days before the end of November, and before the deadline of when they indicated it would be out by, you get so frustrated that you break your computer and somehow, in you mind, this is sufficiently the fault of Apple's CEO that he should pay for the damages. Boggles my mind how that logic follows...

if it does not come out tomorrow i give up..

Ah, so if it comes out on Thursday or Friday you won't be downloading it and using it. W have your on that, right? And, if you break your word, I think that you should turn your computer over to me.

I wish this iTunes would add support for avi, mkv
And other formats. But it won't.

I agree with the wish, though I do understand part of why they don't. iTunes wants to have a format that it can attach metadata to. I'm not sure about mkv, but I know that avi has no ability to have metatags attached to it. Other solutions, like Plex, get around this by maintaining their own metadata database separate from the video files themselves. The downside of this method is that if you have to zero out your library and reimport all of your videos, all of your metadata is simply lost. (While trying to get Plex to do a decent job with our video library, I had to reimport y library at least four times. The loss of metadata was sufficiently painful that I have recently embarked on a mass conversion of all my old avi and mkv files into m4v format so that I can get them properly metatagged.)

So, while I understand the wish, I also understand the focus on the m4v format by iTunes.

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
Yeah, like maybe a whole 24 or 48 hours... OMG!!!

Well, now that's productive. Apple says iTunes 11 will be out by the end of November, and several days before the end of November, and before the deadline of when they indicated it would be out by, you get so frustrated that you break your computer and somehow, in you mind, this is sufficiently the fault of Apple's CEO that he should pay for the damages. Boggles my mind how that logic follows...

Ah, so if it comes out on Thursday or Friday you won't be downloading it and using it. W have your on that, right? And, if you break your word, I think that you should turn your computer over to me.

I agree with the wish, though I do understand part of why they don't. iTunes wants to have a format that it can attach metadata to. I'm not sure about mkv, but I know that avi has no ability to have metatags attached to it. Other solutions, like Plex, get around this by maintaining their own metadata database separate from the video files themselves. The downside of this method is that if you have to zero out your library and reimport all of your videos, all of your metadata is simply lost. (While trying to get Plex to do a decent job with our video library, I had to reimport y library at least four times. The loss of metadata was sufficiently painful that I have recently embarked on a mass conversion of all my old avi and mkv files into m4v format so that I can get them properly metatagged.)

So, while I understand the wish, I also understand the focus on the m4v format by iTunes.

What boggles my mind is how the joke went completely over your head...

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
Where? Torrents? Usenet?

Yes.

When I buy something from iTunes, I expect convenience and ease-of-use. When I pirate something, I don't expect the studios and their partners to make it easy for me to use the file. So, for that reason alone, I wouldn't expect any support any time soon.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
So non-issue then.

It's an open source, royalty-free standard. Why not have support for it? Major movie studios may not support the format because they cannot fill it with DRM, but there are uses for the format for independent films with no studio backing like fan-films. Get off your high horse.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
It's an open source, royalty-free standard. Why not have support for it? Major movie studios may not support the format because they cannot fill it with DRM, but there are uses for the format for independent films with no studio backing like fan-films. Get off your high horse.

On Mac why do you need or would have content in MKV? Seriously, why? All moden phones and multimedia boxes support H.264.

fabiettomac

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Italy

mkv is a pain in the ass. skipping hd movies in mkv is very slow on mac, often the audio don't work in quicklook, even with vlc there may be problems. i reconvert all my videos to mp4 format to ensure compatibility (and they play just fine with every device that i throw them in)

read this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1408620/

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
Never had any problems with mkv using vlc on my mac.
Regarding torrents, I'll consider buying movies from iTunes when they offer 1080p, and even then it's just baffles me that I have been dl'ing great 1080p mkv's for 6 years.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Never had any problems with mkv using vlc on my mac.
Regarding torrents, I'll consider buying movies from iTunes when they offer 1080p, and even then it's just baffles me that I have been dl'ing great 1080p mkv's for 6 years.

They have offered 1080p for a while*. They even offer you to re-download any 720p content you previously purchased to 1080p.

*March by the looks of it: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1335438/

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 1.07.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 1.07.04 PM.png
    17 KB · Views: 996
Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
On Mac why do you need or would have content in MKV? Seriously, why? All moden phones and multimedia boxes support H.264.
I like how I gave you a possible use for the format, and then you asked me why anyone would need it. I also like how you basically state that there is no reason to support it because they support other formats (h.264) I realize that when I record a video myself, or stream a video from my computer in the mp4 format, it will be supported. I would like Apple to extend that support to MORE filetypes. For example, MKV.

mkv is a pain in the ass. skipping hd movies in mkv is very slow on mac, often the audio don't work in quicklook, even with vlc there may be problems. i reconvert all my videos to mp4 format to ensure compatibility (and they play just fine with every device that i throw them in)

read this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1408620/
I didn't read your thread because I don't feel like mkv is a pain in the ass. Also, mkv files have errors in quicklook because quicklook has the same format support as quicktime and iTunes, which means mkv isn't on the list. MKV has its own advantages, and I personally would like it to be supported. I'm sorry you don't like it.

Edit: Clicked on thread to see someone whining about not being able to convert MKV files. Not only was it sad that he couldn't use handbrake, I fail to see how that has anything to do with MKV being a good format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.