Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Titus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I recently bought a camcorder and have been using iMovie 11 to create movies. I'd like to convert these movies to a DVD. I'm using an iMac 27" mid-2010 with 16 G Ram and Mountain Lion.

Because of my job, I'm a PC person but want to learn more about the Mac and, eventually, get rid of PC.

What do I need to buy in order to do this?

Thanks.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Back in the day.....

I would have said iDVD or DVD Studio Pro from Apple. But right now these programs are outdated. Maybe Roxio has some program that works for you. The thing about DVDs is: You want to create a plain DVD or an elaborated one (transitions, themes and so on)? Plain DVD with a bunch of movies is pretty easy, can be done from the Finder:)
Adobe Premiere with Encore can be a solution, but also can be overkill/overpriced for your needs

:):apple:

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
I'm just a video noob amateur, but it didn't take long to realize what a PITA it was to create just a simple DVD.
Are you shooting/ editing in HD? If so, you're going to be disappointed in the output quality of DVD's. I've tried a consumer DVD app, it was worthless junk, seems no one supports the technology anymore, at least at the consumer level .
Creating a pro-quality DVD seems harder than creating the original movie.
One thing I learned: if you want to just get your movies on a disc, turn it into a disc image first, you'll have far fewer issues burning the disc.
Hope this helps, search the forum for previous threads.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Has the iMac not got DVD software installed? I think they done away with Mountain Lion. I don't have M.L. so i'm a bit behind.
You would like the easiest way?. This is not everybody's way but it works for me.
I edit my videos in iMovie if i do a family project with all the trimming. I then export it back to my camera and then use my DVD recorder and burn a disk.
There are some good threads on YouTube to dive into too get a better understanding.:apple:

Titus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
IMovie 11 to IMovie APP for iPad

I just downloaded the iMovie App to my iPad. When I create a movie in iMovie 11 will it automatically transfer to this app. I could then mirror it to my 60 inch TV that is connected to an apple TV?

Sounds too easy....am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.