Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I think it's important to ask yourself why you *really* care... I'm not joking or being sarcastic in any way. Why is it that you MUST have a blemish-free iPhone? Is it for resale purposes? On principle (being that you paid a lot of money for it)? Try to determine why exactly you want it to be blemish-free and ask yourself if you intend to keep it this way.

Number one reason I would want a blemish free phone is for resale value.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's not about the iPhone 5, the universe is trying to tell you not to get it (for whatever reason). Don't pay attention if it makes you happy but obviously your trials and tribulations will continue.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
On my 12th iPhone 5. 5 I exchanged right at the Apple store and the Genius was as shocked as I was at how bad they were damaged out of the box. Chips, dents, screen lifted, dust. 6-12 were done via Apple Care via Fedex. I got tired of going to the store and had them mail me replacement. There were 2 phones that were acceptable cosmetically, but the screen was lifting and home button didn't work on the other. I never rejected a phone for a spec of dust size blemish-these were tic-tac sized or larger. It's just insane that these all passed QC. The lifted screen was the most shocking. You could see the clips that held it down, stupid. I can see people rejecting for microscopic defects, this is not what is happening.

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Jesus christ. People like OP give Apple fans a bad name. 5 phones, really? Is someone gonna die because your beloved iPhone has a scuff on the back of it?

actually, people like you give apple fans a bad name. is there any other company out there that engenders such loyalty that they pressure fellow purchasers to ignore flaws in the product because it will eventually get that way anyway?

no. nobody is going to die. but as consumers, we have the power to set our own expectations. if apple doesn't want our business, fine. but don't tell me i am being unreasonable.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
actually, people like you give apple fans a bad name. is there any other company out there that engenders such loyalty that they pressure fellow purchasers to ignore flaws in the product because it will eventually get that way anyway?

no. nobody is going to die. but as consumers, we have the power to set our own expectations. if apple doesn't want our business, fine. but don't tell me i am being unreasonable.

I agree, I wouldn't want a $10 item scratched or dented out of the box let alone an iPhone.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
We miss Steve Jobs. It is clear that he was the only one that could release high quality products.

How many work at Apple? 10,000 or more? And no one could detect this issues before they release the iphone 5?

Steve Jobs was unique and every day he is not here I understand it more and more. There is no one in this earth like him and now is more clear than ever.

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Wow, 5 times.... and someone exchanging their iphone5 15 times? I would be totally pissed if I had to go through all that for an unlocked phone. I agree it sounds a bit OCD but for a phone that's $700-900 + tax, you deserve a flawless product.

GonzagaDynasty

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
I think some of you need some serious help.

I've never once had an issue w a brand new apple product.

"OMG THERE IS A SPEC OF DUST ON THE BACK **** THIS ****"

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I think some of you need some serious help.

I've never once had an issue w a brand new apple product.

"OMG THERE IS A SPEC OF DUST ON THE BACK **** THIS ****"

Hey kid, just because the iPhone you bought didn't have a problem, that doesn't mean the other millions of iPhone buyers get flawless products too.

Stop being so self centred, there is a world outside of your parents' basement.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
We miss Steve Jobs. It is clear that he was the only one that could release high quality products.

How many work at Apple? 10,000 or more? And no one could detect this issues before they release the iphone 5?

Steve Jobs was unique and every day he is not here I understand it more and more. There is no one in this earth like him and now is more clear than ever.

I won't deny that Steve Jobs was a big part of what made Apple great. But I honestly don't think he could have done anything to fix the QC issues that are happening on this release. He would have just done a much better job of spinning it and making people over look the issue. The QC issues are a result of pushing the boxing of 5 million units in a ridiculous period of time. When you are pressured to make so many devices and you are depending on human beings to put them together you are going to get these issues.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Oh please. What would he have done? The iPhone4 had glaring antenna problems. The original plastic Macbooks would crack where they close.

"High quality" right?

GonzagaDynasty

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
Hey kid, just because the iPhone you bought didn't have a problem, that doesn't mean the other millions of iPhone buyers get flawless products too.

Stop being so self centred, there is a world outside of your parents' basement.

Ahahahahahahaha

You sound mad

You mad bro?

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Simple ending argument to this.....would you want to buy a brand new car that has scratches on it? That has a radio that doesn't work? Maybe stalls when you first start it up? Don't think so case closed this is a stupid argument. You shouldn't have to settle for damaged or defective new items its why we have lemon laws. The people that have said its because Apple pushed their production to the limit are probably correct, I have an iphone with a loose power button it rattles I am just living with it for now until it becomes more of a problem and QC is tightened up. Yes it bothers me at times.

----------

Ahahahahahahaha

You sound mad

You mad bro?

You can't really determine what somebody sounds like on a forum, you act like one of those people that just comes on a forum to start fights because you have nothing better to do. This isn't adding anything positive to the discussion.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Simple ending argument to this.....would you want to buy a brand new car that has scratches on it? That has a radio that doesn't work? Maybe stalls when you first start it up? Don't think so case closed this is a stupid argument. You shouldn't have to settle for damaged or defective new items its why we have lemon laws. The people that have said its because Apple pushed their production to the limit are probably correct, I have an iphone with a loose power button it rattles I am just living with it for now until it becomes more of a problem and QC is tightened up. Yes it bothers me at times.

----------

You can't really determine what somebody sounds like on a forum, you act like one of those people that just comes on a forum to start fights because you have nothing better to do. This isn't adding anything positive to the discussion.

You can hardly compare a car to a phone. While I completely understand what you are trying to say, comparing a vehicle which costs thousands of dollars on and you depend on for transportation to a hundreds of dollars phone which in the defense of these so called QC defects are still usable for their intended purpose is completely off. Granted if your issue isn't just a scuff or nick I completely agree with what you are saying.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
You can hardly compare a car to a phone. While I completely understand what you are trying to say, comparing a vehicle which costs thousands of dollars on and you depend on for transportation to a hundreds of dollars phone which in the defense of these so called QC defects are still usable for their intended purpose is completely off. Granted if your issue isn't just a scuff or nick I completely agree with what you are saying.

He compares a scuffed phone with a scuffed car. Seems fair to me. If you have a scratch on your car it still don't affect it's intended purpose, to drive it. It's "just a car" the same way as an iPhone is "just a phone". Both will eventually get scratched over time, so why should you complain over a new car that's scratched if you don't do that about a new phone, when in both cases it doesn't affect the intended purpose one bit?

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Yeah if you vote with the wallet and just return for a refund + more people do the same maybe in the future they will care about these things, 1 exchange fine but 3-5 ? Or like that guy that exchanged 15 4s ? :eek: wow! You talk about spending X amount of money and demand what you pay for it but seriously if you had any respect for yourself you wouldnt accept more than 1 exchange....

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

The problem with your argument is that noticeable scratches on a car are large. A broken radio is a malfunction. A stall on start too. Lemon laws are in place to cover some of these.

But imagine looking for scratches on a car that are the size of scratches people are finding on the iPhone. I guarantee you there are tiny iPhone sized scratches *somewhere* on nearly every brand new car...wiggly buttons here or there...maybe a tiny bit of misalignment in the trim...a piece of untucked carpet...etc.

People are scrutinzing a $900 phone with FAR more intensity than their $30,000 cars. Why? Maybe it's the size. It's easier to find defects on a smaller object. Maybe it gives them a sense of control.

The equivalent defects that you mentioned on a car, for an iPhone, would be a gash in the case, a non working speaker, or one that won't boot without 2 restarts. THOSE are genuine defects. Micro nicks are not. I'm not saying they're not annoying, or even exchange worthy. Maybe they are. I'm just saying that comparing them to equivalent imperfections on a car is silly.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
He compares a scuffed phone with a scuffed car. Seems fair to me. If you have a scratch on your car it still don't affect it's intended purpose, to drive it. It's "just a car" the same way as an iPhone is "just a phone". Both will eventually get scratched over time, so why should you complain over a new car that's scratched if you don't do that about a new phone, when in both cases it doesn't affect the intended purpose one bit?

Yeah alright that is all fair and good but if these people inspected their cars like they do their iPhones I doubt very many cars would be driven off dealers lots.

----------

The problem with your argument is that noticeable scratches on a car are large. A broken radio is a malfunction. A stall on start too. Lemon laws are in place to cover some of these.

But imagine looking for scratches on a car that are the size of scratches people are finding on the iPhone. I guarantee you there are tiny iPhone sized scratches *somewhere* on nearly every brand new car...wiggly buttons here or there...maybe a tiny bit of misalignment in the trim...a piece of untucked carpet...etc.

People are scrutinzing a $900 phone with FAR more intensity than their $30,000 cars. Why? Maybe it's the size. It's easier to find defects on a smaller object. Maybe it gives them a sense of control.

The equivalent defects that you mentioned on a car, for an iPhone, would be a gash in the case, a non working speaker, or one that won't boot without 2 restarts. THOSE are genuine defects. Micro nicks are not. I'm not saying they're not annoying, or even exchange worthy. Maybe they are. I'm just saying that comparing them to equivalent imperfections on a car is silly.

Perect.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
Should i stick with what I have , getting tired of going through iphoe 5s lol.

i'm on my 3rd, it has a dent on a corner of the screen and i just gave it up. the first one has two dents on the aluminium and second one has a big gap between the aluminium and the glass.

i gave up. i can live with a $900 toy has a small dent that i can barely notice as long as it functions well.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
If nothing else, buying a $900 phone you would except it to have no scratches or defects. There's no denying that Apple's QC is absolutely terrible.

not every product is 100% perfect, i have a TINY TINY mark on the edge of my phone...you know what? I slapped a case on it and it's not a big deal. But to literally go to the apple store 5 times and inspect every phone is insanity. I am embarrassed for some of these people. at some point a normal person would give up after 2-3....but 5 or more....something else is going on.

----------

On my 12th iPhone 5. 5 I exchanged right at the Apple store and the Genius was as shocked as I was at how bad they were damaged out of the box. Chips, dents, screen lifted, dust. 6-12 were done via Apple Care via Fedex. I got tired of going to the store and had them mail me replacement. There were 2 phones that were acceptable cosmetically, but the screen was lifting and home button didn't work on the other. I never rejected a phone for a spec of dust size blemish-these were tic-tac sized or larger. It's just insane that these all passed QC. The lifted screen was the most shocking. You could see the clips that held it down, stupid. I can see people rejecting for microscopic defects, this is not what is happening.

how is it that you have had problems with 12.....yet others people's are perfectly fine? if you are spending time going to apple store and on the phone 12 different times...you need to realize there is more to life than an iPhone.

rican

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
I too was about to be on my 5th iphone. I went to the apple store locally and met this awesome genius - we went through 3 phone boxes because a lot of them were damaged, home keys were super loose, or the back anodized part was very scratched & scuffed.

Give them a chance again, if not part ways. I was about to buy an Android and glad I met this genius who changed my experience completely.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012

Actually the equivolant surface area of the phone to scratch would mean a fist sized scratch or scuff on a car, nobody would accept that would they? Dead pixels are a manufacturing defect, bad proximity sensor is a defect, loose radio button that shakes and rattles anytime you go over a bump would piss tons of people off, you're downplaying the severity of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.