Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

De5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I just got a cMbp 13" i5 basic model a couple of days ago on black friday/weekend. I wanted to get a mac because I do alot of music creation like dubstep, techno, house, etc. I also wanted a good video editing program and I heard that final cut is at the top. So, I got the mac and everything but I am kind of having buyer's remorse. I have a 17" acer aspire 7551g with 6gb of ram, 512mb Gfx card, 750 gb hdd, 17 inch screen. On my macbook, the battery life is absolutely awesome, and I'm getting about 2-3hours of battery on my acer.

I am pretty happy with logic pro 9 and final cut, but I could probably still be doing the same thing on my pc. I really don't know if I should return the macbook or not. The battery life is something I will need the in the future and I need a laptop that can be portable and powerful, but it's not really worth $1100 in my opinion.

Can someone give me a reason to maybe keep my macbook?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I'm not sure what to say. I like my MBP, but if I already had a working laptop and I didn't immediately need the features that the MBP provided, I wouldn't keep it.

Now that I've said that, I saw the base model 13" MBP sell for $950 on black friday and I've seen it sell for $999 pretty regularly at Fry's. Also, since you don't need the battery life now, buy the computer when you do need it. Chances are you'll be able to find a better deal on the model you bought or possibly the same deal on a newer, faster model.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006

If you gotta ask, you won't miss it. Return it and get a new model when you need the functionality, battery, video editing, etc.

HOWEVER, down the road, when you feel like huckin' the Acer out the window, don't come cryin' on here... :D

De5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
HOWEVER, down the road, when you feel like huckin' the Acer out the window, don't come cryin' on here... :D

I lol'd. Anyways thanks for the advice. I'll probably just re-buy one in like 2 years or so. Or when my acer dies.. :rolleyes:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Who come up with these stupid names anyways, ASPIRE to what? HP ENVY really?

But to ur current, I third that. Buy when u actually need it. Electronics only get cheaper and better.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I have to use Windows for work and my company, and it does a wonderful job at that, but at home and every opportunity I can (that includes for work) I used OS X. I just enjoy using it more. I like the design of the laptop. And you cannot beat Apple Customer Service. The really take care of their customers.

cire1244

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
The answer to your question should be very obvious to you, especially since you've now owned a Mac.

I think that most of us here value the beauty and simplicity of OS X (and relative problem-free computing). But that's the stuff that most realize after a few days with a Mac. If that stuff isn't standing out to you, by all means go back to a PC. If the features/environment/ecosystem that Apple provides doesn't appeal to you, then save yourself some money!

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I lol'd. Anyways thanks for the advice. I'll probably just re-buy one in like 2 years or so. Or when my acer dies.. :rolleyes:

How can you go back now?? Haven't you already invested in software. I haven't checked prices latley but IIRC Final Cut Pro and the other aren't exactly cheap and you can't exactly return them.

JellyFish

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
I just got a cMbp 13" i5 basic model a couple of days ago on black friday/weekend. I wanted to get a mac because I do alot of music creation like dubstep, techno, house, etc. I also wanted a good video editing program and I heard that final cut is at the top. So, I got the mac and everything but I am kind of having buyer's remorse. I have a 17" acer aspire 7551g with 6gb of ram, 512mb Gfx card, 750 gb hdd, 17 inch screen. On my macbook, the battery life is absolutely awesome, and I'm getting about 2-3hours of battery on my acer.

I am pretty happy with logic pro 9 and final cut, but I could probably still be doing the same thing on my pc. I really don't know if I should return the macbook or not. The battery life is something I will need the in the future and I need a laptop that can be portable and powerful, but it's not really worth $1100 in my opinion.

I'd keep the macbook simply for the portability, if for nothing else. A 17 inch screen is nice, but I wouldn't want to tote that sucker around. No way. :eek:

I also prefer OS X to Windows, so that would figure very high on my decision making criteria.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I have to use Windows for work and my company, and it does a wonderful job at that, but at home and every opportunity I can (that includes for work) I used OS X. I just enjoy using it more. I like the design of the laptop. And you cannot beat Apple Customer Service. The really take care of their customers.

I use my retina mbp for work (windows 8) and OS X for anything else I can. I am having a hard time justifying keeping my pc laptop.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Sorry to say but i find it hard to compare apple laptop to an acer one.
With Acer laptop you get tons of junk applications when you get it and even after you uinstall it you will have only windows.. and the experience of a mac is much better for me.

I honestly believe mac users enjoy more than windows users. the gestures, expose iphoto, imovie .. all this makes the experience much better.
I suggest you stay with the mac

richnyc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
NYC
I give you my story, hope it's helpful, in some ways:

I still have a fully functional Dell XPS m1330 laptop from summer 2008, 6GB, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT, Windows 7 Ultimate... A fairly fast machine. I use it for downloading, basic emailing, internet stuff and some semi-serious photo work (with a help of an external 24" IPS display)...

I had my eyes set on a MBP for some time, last 12-18 months and finally pulled the trigger three weeks ago... The 13" cMBP, after RAM (16GB) and SSD (256+512GB) upgrades is more than twice as fast as my old Dell, according Geekbench benchmarks (MBP9,2: 7,585 vs. Dell XPS: 3,465)

I almost exclusively use my MBP now (99%), absolutely love the OS X (it was quick and intuitive transition). Multiple desktops (up to 16) are trackpad are ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! I can still use my NEC monitor, even my iPad 3 as a high rez display via Air Display app. In one word, I'm glad, I did make the jump.

But it might be a different decision process for you. Only you can decide;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.