Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

imacipad.jpg
DigiTimes reports that shipments of both the iPad mini and iMac are expected to be constrained throughout 2012. In both cases, display production appears to be the limiting factor.

For the iPad mini, the panels have reportedly seen low yield rates, especially from one of Apple's suppliers. As a result, Apple may only reach 6 million of an estimated 10 million target for iPad mini shipments in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Meanwhile, the newly announced iMacs will also see constrained supplies due to issues with iMac panels from LGD.
Additionally, the sources said new iMac models use panels sourced only from LGD. The company has had to develop a new production process for mass producing the iMac panels and has limited capacity, which is delaying shipments.
Yields of both products aren't expected to reach target goals until the first quarter of 2013.

Apple just announced that the new iMac would go on sale on Friday, November 30th, but the 27" model wouldn't start shipping until December.

Article Link: New iMac and iPad Mini to Be in Short Supply Until 2013

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
It's ok to occasionally 'bite the bullet' and hang out for the best technical solution despite inconvenience to customers but this attitude has turned round and bitten Apple on the backside too many times recently (more examples include iPhone casings, Apple maps...).

I look forward to a period of reduced risk taking.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
You know you can design the greatest device in the world and have everyone drooling over it, but if you cannot deliver, time and time again, people will move on and realize the difference between wants and needs.

Apple is dropping the ball big time IMHO, the iPhone 5, iTunes 11, the iPad mini and now the iMac...

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Apple needs to get their **** together!

That is exactly what is happening. Apple is in the process of changing suppliers for all LCD panels. These issues had been resolved previously with Samsung but since they are divesting all business with Samsung they have to work with new suppliers to ramp up to meet needs.

Apple attempted to settle all the issue with Samsung so they could remain partners but that is not going to be possible since Samsung won't agree to a settlement, even when using binding arbitration.

----------

I thought Tim Cook was supposed to be a supply-chain guru :confused:

This is Tim changing suppliers. It would be worse if he was not a guru..

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
This is really Appalling. You have to pay through your nose and wait for ages to get hold of a product with inferior and outdated internals.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
You know you can design the greatest device in the world and have everyone drooling over it, but if you cannot deliver, time and time again, people will move on and realize the difference between wants and needs.

Apple is dropping the ball big time IMHO, the iPhone 5, iTunes 11, the iPad mini and now the iMac...

I think you have the wrong definition of what "dropping the ball" means.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
That is exactly what is happening. Apple is in the process of changing suppliers for all LCD panels. These issues had been resolved previously with Samsung but since they are divesting all business with Samsung they have to work with new suppliers to ramp up to meet needs.

Apple attempted to settle all the issue with Samsung so they could remain partners but that is not going to be possible since Samsung won't agree to a settlement, even when using binding arbitration.

----------

This is Tim changing suppliers. It would be worse if he was not a guru..

I think there is much more to this than just that; I feel there is a disconnect between design and manufacturing abilities as well as quality control issues at play. If Apple gave the manufacturer enough lead time they could produce enough displays, however it seems Apple is playing things too tight and not giving the suppliers time to ramp up and build up supply. This is not a supply chain guru at work....Supply Chain cannot solve irrational lead times and design decisions that are hard to produce in great numbers with high quality...

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

You think your signature doesn't say anything? I beg to differ. It speaks volumes about your psychological profile. ;)

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York

Looks like a grim transition for Apple. Samsung panels outcompete any other brand and from the looks of it, it's clearly evident that other suppliers can't handle the demand nor the yield percentages that Samsung was able to. Oh, and the quality.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this affects their entire product line over the next year.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I do not know about you, but something here just does not compute in the water. Apple, the multibillion dollar company, does not reserve enough supply for expected sales? Apple after all these years has not found a way to make their own screens but they do make there own A1-A6x chips,?

Apple doesn't actually make their own chips, they are designed by Apple but manufactured by Samsung.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I think you have the wrong definition of what "dropping the ball" means.

Well to me it means, having the ability and the expectation to deliver an action and failing to do so. So in this case, Apple has the ability to delivery a product and we expect them to meet those expectations, but failed to do so. IE they dropped the ball.

If this is wrong, rather than just saying I am wrong, why not enlighten us all with your knowlege?

ka-spot

Suspended
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
...and July 2013 new model! Even thinner with touch screen, 2TB SSD, 5GB GPU DDR7, but because someone stops delivers of sand to Apple, the new iMac will be delayed for the 33th of the March 2025 ?

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
Well to me it means, having the ability and the expectation to deliver an action and failing to do so. So in this case, Apple has the ability to delivery a product and we expect them to meet those expectations, but failed to do so. IE they dropped the ball.

If this is wrong, rather than just saying I am wrong, why not enlighten us all with your knowlege?

Apple unveiled the redesigned iMac at its October 23 media event, announcing that the 21.5-inch models would ship in November with the 27-inch models following in December.

They haven't failed at anything here. Do your reaserch.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal

in 5 years, they passed from 5 million macs per year for what we have know:

5 million macs per quarter (the best macs ever and the most difficult to build, like retina models and airs, the new iMacs), 15 million iPods (most touch) per quarter, getting ready for 45 million iphones this quarter alone, 20 million iPads, then you have the ecosystem (2 OSes), software (******** of apps apple does), itunes icloud and other services...

Costumers should be patient and respect them.

They make the best products on each category and are the only ones doing something innovative for the industry since 98.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Does any new Apple product ever come out anymore that isn't sold out and in short supply with blah blah supply shortage blah blah at launch? I haven't seen that since the iPhone 3G came out.. whereabouts.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
It's not life or death. People just need to be patient.

Patience has a limit.

I have been waiting for the iMac since December 2011.

----------

They haven't failed at anything here. Do your reaserch.

Releasing in the last day of November (still to be seen, in my opinion) is still November, but looks more like one of those lawyer things where technicalities are all that matters.

In this case, the release date is supposed to be meant for the customers, not for someone tracking the calendar. November in my head meant start of, or middle of, not the last day :(

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
Patience has a limit.

----------

Releasing in the last day of November (still to be seen, in my opinion) is still November, but looks more like one of those lawyer things where technicalities are all that matters.

In this case, the release date is supposed to be meant for the customers, not for someone tracking the calendar. November in my head meant start of, or middle of, not the last day :(

They said in november which has 30 days. Very clear to me.

NMSUballa

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Patience has a limit.

----------

I think it is a double edged sword for Apple. If they wait for supply to pick up before going on sale then people will get mad since they have been waiting for a new iMac for awhile. They don't want those people going out and buying a new computer for Christmas so they announced it now so you will preorder early or at least wait a little longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.