Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
My mom just got an iPad 4th gen new from Apple during the Black Friday sale, and I told it to sync up with an iPhone backup on iCloud. Before then, it was in the "setup" mode like it was new. I doubt this matters, but it came with a 90% charge. Is it supposed to be 90% or 0%?

First of all, the home button on the iPad is messed up, which is really not cool considering that it's supposed to be brand new. It's fine the majority of the time, but sometimes, it doesn't respond, and sometimes, it thinks you're pressing it twice when you're really pressing it once. It also feels sticky and doesn't click at all. I don't know if this is normal or an indication of a broken home button.

Secondly, there is this REALLY weird bug. When all of the apps were installing, it seemed to get stuck. I clicked on an app that was loading, and it asked me for my Apple ID. This is normal because I used my ID to download some apps. But then I pressed cancel, and it asked for the ID by the name of "kmoore562". Nobody has any idea who this is. I Googled the name and got random accounts for YouTube and such.

Now, it seemingly randomly asks for the kmoore562 ID when I press one of the apps that is loading. It usually asks for my ID (about 80% of the time), but I didn't enter my password because I want to keep the evidence there for returning the iPad.

How did a past user account end up on a freshly wiped iPad? There is no way this kmoore562 ID was used on the iPhone that the iCloud backup is from, and I tried updating apps on the iPhone and reproducing the problem and couldn't get it to happen. So somehow, the past user of this iPad had his account stay on there after a return/wipe.

RESOLVED: This is an issue that some have been reporting on Apple's support site. Thanks to Doctor Who. I don't know whether or not this is a returned iPad, but the account problem would not result from it being returned. It seems to be a server bug.

Last edited:

rollzst

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Happened to me before with an iphone 5, kinda made me think I had been given a refurbished one. Luckily I don't have that iphone anymore and have not had it happen with my new ne.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
My mom just got an iPad 4th gen new from Apple during the Black Friday sale, and I told it to sync up with an iPhone backup on iCloud. Before then, it was in the "setup" mode like it was new. I doubt this matters, but it came with a 90% charge. Is it supposed to be 90% or 0%?

First of all, the home button on the iPad is messed up, which is really not cool considering that it's supposed to be brand new. It's fine the majority of the time, but sometimes, it doesn't respond, and sometimes, it thinks you're pressing it twice when you're really pressing it once. It also feels sticky and doesn't click at all. I don't know if this is normal or an indication of a broken home button.

Secondly, there is this REALLY weird bug. When all of the apps were installing, it seemed to get stuck. I clicked on an app that was loading, and it asked me for my Apple ID. This is normal because I used my ID to download some apps. But then I pressed cancel, and it asked for the ID by the name of "kmoore562". Nobody has any idea who this is. I Googled the name and got random accounts for YouTube and such.

Now, it seemingly randomly asks for the kmoore562 ID when I press one of the apps that is loading. It usually asks for my ID (about 80% of the time), but I didn't enter my password because I want to keep the evidence there for returning the iPad.

How did a past user account end up on a freshly wiped iPad? There is no way this kmoore562 ID was used on the iPhone that the iCloud backup is from, and I tried updating apps on the iPhone and reproducing the problem and couldn't get it to happen. So somehow, the past user of this iPad had his account stay on there after a return/wipe.

Perhaps Target wrapped up a returned iPad and sold it as new....seems to be happening sometimes, return it....

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008

I experienced the same thing when re-installing apps from iCloud after a reset; it would pop up asking for an apple ID with someone else's details in the email address field. It was actually my girlfriend's address but still, I'd never ever used her account or linked it to anything on my phone before.

Turns out it was because some music that was re-syncing from iTunes contained tracks I had copied from my girlfriend's collection, which I'm guessing she bought from iTunes, so my phone was asking to confirm authorisation I think, or something like that.

Have you checked if there's any music still trying to sync?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I experienced the same thing when re-installing apps from iCloud after a reset; it would pop up asking for an apple ID with someone else's details in the email address field. It was actually my girlfriend's address but still, I'd never ever used her account or linked it to anything on my phone before.

Turns out it was because some music that was re-syncing from iTunes contained tracks I had copied from my girlfriend's collection, which I'm guessing she bought from iTunes, so my phone was asking to confirm authorisation I think, or something like that.

Yeah with each device you have to verify thhat you are authorized to play the file.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
Was your previous iDevice jail broken? Or was the backup from a backup of a previously jail broken device? If it was and there were apps acquired by other means than the App Store, it would do that...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009

It hasn't been synced to a computer yet. The iPad was in the "setup" mode originally, so shouldn't it be completely fresh and not linked to anything? The user account somehow survived a wipe.

----------

Perhaps Target wrapped up a returned iPad and sold it as new....seems to be happening sometimes, return it....

It's from Apple directly.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
It hasn't been synced to a computer yet. The iPad was in the "setup" mode originally, so shouldn't it be completely fresh and not linked to anything? The user account somehow survived a wipe.

----------

It's from Apple directly.
Doesnt have to be synced up yet. If you are trying to access a file that is related to someone elses apple account you can get that. You probably downloaded a file from someone else's iTunes account. The backup stored it anyway thinking you would still have access to that account once you tried to upload it to your new device.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Doesnt have to be synced up yet. If you are trying to access a file that is related to someone elses apple account you can get that. You probably downloaded a file from someone else's iTunes account. The backup stored it anyway thinking you would still have access to that account once you tried to upload it to your new device.

There was definitely no app downloaded from that account. Also, the fact that it asks for the account at "random" times and has never asked before on the iPhone suggests that something is going wrong.

----------

In regards to the charge, they don't come with 100% charge and I've seen different %s on the various iDevices I've purchased.

OK, so Apple just charges them before they sell them, and they lose a little in inventory. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
There was definitely no app downloaded from that account. Also, the fact that it asks for the account at "random" times and has never asked before on the iPhone suggests that something is going wrong.

----------

OK, so Apple just charges them before they sell them, and they lose a little in inventory. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
it could just be a glitch with iCloud. Do you really think apple is trying to sell you an old iPad?

Crabnbass

Oct 23, 2012
My iPad 4 home button sucks too. Does everything that you described. Probably works right about half the time. I am hoping it is just a software glitch that will be fixed in a future update.

DoctorWho

Suspended
Jun 18, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
it could just be a glitch with iCloud. Do you really think apple is trying to sell you an old iPad?

People do return iPads, so I'd imagine they clean, wipe, and repackage them. Are they sold as new or refurbished? The main thing that made me think it was returned is the home button feeling worn-out and not working sometimes, but it doesn't seem like Apple would sell returned items. Who knows, it could be a mistake by an employee, or Apple really does sell returned items as new.

----------

The iPad having 90% charge right out of the box is normal. All iPads and iDevices should.

As for the random Apple IDs popping up, it's a well-documented bug within iOS.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3419549?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16535969#16535969

It doesn't sound like it's anything to be concerned about (nor does it sound like you received a 'returned' iPad. As for the home button, well, I'd probably return it because of that.

Thanks! This is something I was looking for, but I couldn't get any search results on Google or Apple.com that weren't about using two Apple IDs or something.

You've solved the mystery here, at least partially. I hope Apple fixes the bug because it's a bit scary that Apple servers somehow giving people the wrong data. The fact that it happens randomly when I press the app might be due to the iPad asking the server for authorization and getting the wrong user in return due to a bug in the server.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.