Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
I am exactly the intended market for this computer (the high-end 27" at least). However, the more I read about this new imac, I think I'm gonna stick with my 2.93 i7 for at least another year or so. If Apple had ditched the very carefully thought-out up-sell strategies that dictate all the options of what we can and can't get (and how much it all costs) and just gave us a very powerful, flexible all-in-one imac for a (generally) competitive price, I would buy it the day it was available.

I wonder how many people that requested things for the next imac asked for the edges of their next desktop computer to be thinner?

This is a company that is no longer interested in what any professional user wants or needs. Looking at it from a businessman's standpoint, Apple wants to take as much money as possible, in any way it can think of, from my small company. I have been a vocal fan and buyer of numerous Apple computers for well over 15 years. However, after the last few years of anemic Mac Pro "updates" and now this Imac, I'm gonna pass. Mac Pro models are a terrible bargain, and the new Imac seems to be gradually moving in the same direction. New Imac? No thanks, Apple.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Apple needs to get their **** together!

What they need to do is to continue to have a high quality standard. Many companies wouldn't have given a ****** about this. They would have sold you this product with a crappy display and fixed it in the next ideration.

Then people would go on forums and cry and people would tell them "Lol, early adopter QQ more".

The fact is that Apple is losing money on retaining quality. I think that is a noble quality. The quality of their products is what sets them apart. Many of us want to wait for something good, that will be last. If I wanted something fast and now I would have bought something from Dell or HP.

Broseidon

macrumors regular
May 8, 2012
Can't help but laugh at all the people complaining about the new iMac.

Seriously, you whining bunch of losers.

It's a computer. No-one is forcing you to buy it. Get over it.

:rolleyes:

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
This is really Appalling. You have to pay through your nose and wait for ages to get hold of a product with inferior and outdated internals.

:confused: why would you buy it then ??? On a different note ..I just got my iPad Mini and it kicks ass.. You have to try it ... I nearly got the nexus 7 but when I held both in my hands ... Nexus felt washed out .. Just my 0.2$

Seriously ..don't you feel like nag just saying that ???

I thought Tim Cook was supposed to be a supply-chain guru :confused:

Ladies and gentlemen .. Our candidate for CEO ..highly recommended .. Seriously though ... I keep jumping forums just cause of the nagging ...here's a tip.. If you don't like it...WALK AWAY

Last edited:

maxira

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
I hope it is not so! it is strange that this news comes out after announcing, finally, the iMac and their expedition, perhaps this to cover them in the event of long delays for shipments! when the costs are so high, patience and technology do not get along.
I'm an Apple user for many years :apple:

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

this is your fault! they are doing this because if they start producing too early, the parts are leaked... doubling down on secrecy.. here you have it

macs4nw

macrumors 601

He's probably too busy running the company; maybe he needs to get an expert supply-chain guru to look after that side of the business, just like he did, when Steve was at the helm.

It's not life or death. People just need to be patient.

Agreed; good things can't be rushed.

.....Apple, the multibillion dollar company, does not reserve enough supply for expected sales? :(

It was apparently a quality control issue with the panels, and we could look at it another way and commend APPLE for not being wiling to compromise on the quality of their products, even if it meant fewer sales.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Well to me it means, having the ability and the expectation to deliver an action and failing to do so. So in this case, Apple has the ability to delivery a product and we expect them to meet those expectations, but failed to do so. IE they dropped the ball.

If this is wrong, rather than just saying I am wrong, why not enlighten us all with your knowlege?

Just like other consumer electronics companies Apple needs to introduce new and updated products regularly. By itself this is not a problem. But there is a limited world capacity for the production of electronics components, and Apple commands a big part of that capacity already. The speed at which Apple is increasing its market size globally and the sudden surge of demand after a new product introduction puts a tremendous strain on their claimed capacity.

It’s a catch 22 situation: Apple cannot wait to announce the new products as you can see from the drop in demand before the introduction of a new iPhone (they would lose market share and risk a drop in revenue). In addition it is not able to produce enough of the product at launch to satisfy all demand.

There are many people just claiming that Apple should produce more of their products, but currently all production capacity is claimed and the building of a new factory is not done in a few weeks, nor is it without risks. Furthermore no-one is able to accurately predict the demand for Apple devices, as the divergence between the iPhone 5 predictions and actual sales numbers show.

Tl;dr: it’s not so simple to “just make more". Read the above..

Last edited:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
So if Friday is the day does that mean we here in Australia will see it Friday our time, a few hours before the rest of the world and the US?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
this is your fault! they are doing this because if they start producing too early, the parts are leaked... doubling down on secrecy.. here you have it

Rumors leaked on this a long time ago including one about Apple having trouble with the new display process.

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
Delivery delays?

What a surprise.

I wonder how many Apple dealerships will go out of business because they have no iMac stock to sell, and look like being without stock until 2013.

Look on the bright side... it is not available but it is really, really thin.

iMac, insanely LATE

Last edited:

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
They said in november which has 30 days. Very clear to me.

And Tim Cook e-mailed saying...

"Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.

Forbes now follows up with additional corroboration of both Mac Pro and iMac updates coming down the road, with the updates likely appearing next year. The information was provided directly by an Apple spokesperson.

An Apple spokesman just told me that new models and new designs of the Mac Pro, as well as the iMac desktop, are in the works and will likely be released in 2013. That confirms what New York Times columnist David Pogue said yesterday, citing an unnamed Apple executive, about Apple’s commitment to its desktop computers." - qoute from a Recent MacRumors posting you can find in archives...

So no worries people, Power Macs available December 31st, 2013! After all 2013 has 365 days in it. Very clear to me, too! :rolleyes:
/

/
/

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
That is exactly what is happening. Apple is in the process of changing suppliers for all LCD panels. These issues had been resolved previously with Samsung but since they are divesting all business with Samsung they have to work with new suppliers to ramp up to meet needs.

Apple attempted to settle all the issue with Samsung so they could remain partners but that is not going to be possible since Samsung won't agree to a settlement, even when using binding arbitration.

----------

This is Tim changing suppliers. It would be worse if he was not a guru..

Are you serious? Apple had no intention of reaching an agreement with Samsung. They offered terms they knew Samsung could not agree too. There is no binding arbitration, what are you on?

As for Tim changing suppliers, they should have already had the excess supply in the system to allow such a large transition. You don't leave one supplier and then a day later think oh crap, better find a knew one. That would be pee poor management.

A small company you could understand there being problems, but not a company with over $100bn in the bank doing nothing.

If they were hoping for a holiday sales boost then they have fluffed it. People aren't going to want to wait 2 months for something Apple said you should you be able to buy in November, they will go elsewhere.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011

Yep, I agree. If they could learn to sell much lower volumes they wouldn't have a problem. Why can't they follow the lead of other manufacturers.

Of course it will lead to lower profits but at least they'd have their **** together!

----------

Yep. But they moved him from that role.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
So, after weeks of lots of people and sites, with so called "Apple connections", kept telling, it will be delayed.
and now that Apple proved them wrong, they had nothing to complain,

and now they go for the "in short supply" crap.

well to all those who took their thumb out of their ass, and said, what can we make up this time, to get more attention, well ******* you.

ytmJkz396kS64lrXd1DRqg2.jpg

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
This is the most ridiculously long drawn out Mac product launch in years. Apple are usually pretty good at shipping products soon after announcement, but this iMac launch is ridiculous. Borderline vaporware.

Zzzzzzzz.

Wake me when the teardowns are up, please.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
You know that this announcement of a shortage will only ramp up orders. So is there a shortage or is this great marketing.

Secondly, isn't there usually a delay on product delivery as orders rise because Apple just sells too high a volume.

Everytime I buy off Apple they let me know the expected delay. And everytime they deliver early.

Yep. Love Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.