Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
This is the most ridiculously long drawn out Mac product launch in years. Apple are usually pretty good at shipping products soon after announcement, but this iMac launch is ridiculous. Borderline vaporware.

Blame the Apple v Samsung nonsense. Instead of using the best screens on the market (Samsung), they will be using LG (I think) and they simply can't meet anywhere near the demand.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
This'll be the 'beta testing' batch then.

Guinea pigs, please queue here. ;-)

Unfortunately for those who have been waiting and are need of the iMac right now I think this is the case - if you can wait I would seriously consider giving it a couple month until after the first ones are delivered to:

A. Allow the production line to master / perfect the process
B. Ascertain if there are any unforeseen issues.

Personally, if time is on your side, then wait for the Rev B to come out. I reckon this iMac will have a far shorter life cycle this time around as Haswell chips will be available in the summer and this would also allow Apple to tweak the design / engineering to overcome any issues that may become evident. My guess would be September 2013.

Despite what many believe Apples quality control in not all that it should be and there does seem to be a disconnect between design and engineering (there have been screen issues with the iMac since 2009 - 2011 due to design which they won't officially acknowledge but I can personally vouch is very real).

Saying all this I appreciate the excitement and anticipation of those who are going to bite the bullet, so s0d it, just order it and enjoy (maybe with your fingers crossed;)).

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I guess we can't expect everyone to understand electronics manufacturing, production capacity, demand and supply balancing and product cycles. (I don't pretend that I do, completely). You would however expect that at least some people would at least try to understand what is going on in stead of just screaming bloody murder and calling Apple or whatever company incompetent.

manufacturing highly advanced products such as Apple's for an ever increasing global market is extremely complicated. In addition, the planning and implementation of new production processes is an arduous process for the global market with crises going on left and right and demand fluctuating heavily.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
And Tim Cook e-mailed saying...

"Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.

Forbes now follows up with additional corroboration of both Mac Pro and iMac updates coming down the road, with the updates likely appearing next year. The information was provided directly by an Apple spokesperson.

An Apple spokesman just told me that new models and new designs of the Mac Pro, as well as the iMac desktop, are in the works and will likely be released in 2013. That confirms what New York Times columnist David Pogue said yesterday, citing an unnamed Apple executive, about Apple’s commitment to its desktop computers." - qoute from a Recent MacRumors posting you can find in archives...

So no worries people, Power Macs available December 31st, 2013! After all 2013 has 365 days in it. Very clear to me, too! :rolleyes:
/

/
/

Chances are they are going to update this upcoming iMac in 2013. So what? I don't know anything about Mac Pro, but i doubt it's coming in december 2013, i think Q1 2013. Q4 would be insane.

Aug 5, 2012
By the time all these loyal customers get their orders Apple will be announcing the next versions and it will all be outdated tech.

Then they wont be so loyal anymore.

All these new releases seem to follow museum theory... You can look but you cant touch/buy!

Jbach67

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Great expectations

It's interesting to read reactions to a story that mainly restates what Tim Cook said several weeks ago about the constraints in iMac availability through the end of the year. This isn't news, but confirmation of what we already knew.

I'm more interested in the speculations about the iMac coming and what might happen next year. Like many, I was expecting a spec upgrade iMac sometime last June or so when the chips were available. That it is six months later is something of a warning to those who predict a further redesigned iMac next June when the Haswell comes out. Not so fast.

If you look at the Haswell as the next big thing, you wouldn't necessarily delay an iMac purchase, but should consider delaying a macbook pro purchase, especially a 13 inch model that has no separate graphics chip. Haswell's big improvements will in fact be in power management and on chip graphics. Reported CPU specs for the same clock speed will only be about 10%. That would be an exciting improvement for a laptop providing longer battery life and more support for the Retinal display. But for an iMac - well, I really like the idea of better energy efficiency for a desktop, but I need to upgrade sooner than six months or even longer and that plus a 10% improvement in performance isn't enough to make me wait any more. And I'll still opt for the best external graphics they offer, which the Haswell graphics won't match.

Like many, I would rather have kept the optical drive, which I will use to speed installation of legacy programs and some ripping (much less frequent than in the past) and don't care at all about perceived thinness - but it does look cool. From reports on presentation day, the new screen looks like a real advance, even though not retinal. And bigger and much sharper than my old 24 inch model as well. The optional fusion drive is also a significant advance in combining large capacity and flash speed at a reasonable cost. Ivy bridge is a bigger improvement in performance in a desktop performance over SandyB processors than Haswell will be over Ivy. All in all, this is a significantly improved iMac. I definitely will be placing my order on Friday.

Last edited:

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
That is exactly what is happening. Apple is in the process of changing suppliers for all LCD panels. These issues had been resolved previously with Samsung but since they are divesting all business with Samsung they have to work with new suppliers to ramp up to meet needs.

Apple attempted to settle all the issue with Samsung so they could remain partners but that is not going to be possible since Samsung won't agree to a settlement, even when using binding arbitration.

----------

This is Tim changing suppliers. It would be worse if he was not a guru..

Samsung wasn't agreeing to a settlement on Apple's terms which are only approved, again, in the US. Honestly, Apple is getting what they deserve for stealing ideas, then suing other people for stealing the same ideas.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Oh great another rumor from DigiTimes. What is their accuracy rate?

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
First of all... cry me river.

Everybody can wait an extra 3 weeks for their iStuff.
You all have very little patience... like pediatricians.

The moaning and whining is over the top on this particular forum.

On MacRumors...

Good News = Bad News
Bad News = Bad News

Yet you will all still purchase Apple products because they make the best tech in the business and will continue doing so for the foreseeable future.

Relax. Your iProduct is on its way.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
It's not life or death. People just need to be patient.

Not life or death but it could very well effect them in the long run if this keeps up. I remember that being a problem back in the day when the iPod demand was so huge, and Apple just couldn't get a grip on their supply. It's a shame Apple, and Samsung are going at it because it seems like Samsung would be the answer here.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
First of all... cry me river.

Everybody can wait an extra 3 weeks for their iStuff.
You all have very little patience... like pediatricians.

The moaning and whining is over the top on this particular forum.

On MacRumors...

Good News = Bad News
Bad News = Bad News

Yet you will all still purchase Apple products because they make the best tech in the business and will continue doing so for the foreseeable future.

Relax. Your iProduct is on its way.
Yeah first world problems here. That's assuming we believe anything coming from DigiTimes.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
at least they have announce it in october and be transparent about the shipping date,
rather than keeping imac buyers in the dark without certain update. this would be better, than apple prepares all imac ready to ship and announce it in february 2013 :eek:

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
They haven't failed at anything here. Do your reaserch.

There was a time when Apple had access to intel chips earlier than the rest of the industry and had product to ship first. Now they are more than six months behind the industry. Why? Because Apple continues to be obsessed with the thin. This is what failure looks like.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
It's interesting to read reactions to a story that mainly restates what Tim Cook said several weeks ago about the constraints in iMac availability through the end of the year. This isn't news, but confirmation of what we already knew.

I'm more interested in the speculations about the iMac coming and what might happen next year. Like many, I was expecting a spec upgrade iMac sometime last June or so when the chips were available. That it is six months later is something of a warning to those who predict a further redesigned iMac next June when the Haswell comes out. Not so fast.

If you look at the Haswell as the next big thing, you wouldn't necessarily delay an iMac purchase, but should consider delaying a macbook pro purchase, especially a 13 inch model that has no separate graphics chip. Haswell's big improvements will in fact be in power management and on chip graphics. Reported CPU specs for the same clock speed will only be about 10%. That would be an exciting improvement for a laptop providing longer battery life and more support for the Retinal display. But for an iMac - well, I really like the idea of better energy efficiency for a desktop, but I need to upgrade sooner than six months or even longer and that plus a 10% improvement in performance isn't enough to make me wait any more. And I'll still opt for the best external graphics they offer, which the Haswell graphics won't match.

Like many, I would rather have kept the optical drive, which I will use to speed installation of legacy programs and some ripping (much less frequent than in the past) and don't care at all about perceived thinness - but it does look cool. From reports on presentation day, the new screen looks like a real advance, even though not retinal. And bigger and much sharper than my old 24 inch model as well. The optional fusion drive is also a significant advance in combining large capacity and flash speed at a reasonable cost. Ivy bridge is a bigger improvement in performance in a desktop performance over SandyB processors than Haswell will be over Ivy. All in all, this is a significantly improved iMac. I definitely will be placing my order on Friday.

I suspect you are partially right - Haswell will matter more for laptops of course. But given the thin design of the iMac, heat dissipation will be an issue for it as well.

I am glad to see the optical go, but I would have rather had desktop level video cards in there and the space for them. Although I am buying a 27, the ability not to upgrade the RAM on the 21 is also a big loss.

Vorst

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah first world problems here. That's assuming we believe anything coming from DigiTimes.

In the first 3 days Apple "sold" 3 milj. iPad mostly minis (4 nov), don't tell me they can't produce not more then 3 milj. for the rest of the year.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
and the short supply of screens likely means we will not see a new 27" ATD based on the new iMac screen until mid 2013?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I got tired of waiting for a Mac Pro, so I built a PC that will outperform the Mac Pro in every way except processing power for 1/3 the price.

Yes its Windows, but it also plays some of my favorite games.

Apple needs to seriously get with it. I can understand leaving Samsung since they aren't willing to come to terms, but to short supply and delay products all the time is just bad business.

Too bad by time the iMacs get released, Haswell and DDR4 will be hitting the market 2-3 months later.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Go ahead. Convince me that Apple didn't know this beforehand. Go ahead.

Perfect Storm....announce a great new product just before Christmas then announce production issues.

Little wonder iPad mini will be the most sought after gift this Christmas.

If you have the investment captal available buy any, sell on Ebay and play your cards right you could earn yourself a free one.

PS Anyone want to buy my Nexus 7?....anyone?....

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
LOL, so Apple is in trouble with LG's QC, and then Sammy comes up and screw up the supply chain, what's Apple going to get next?

Why don't Apple get another supply chain before the release of new iMac? Tim Cook should think about what he is doing to Apple:cool:

Ya know what Samsung has won now? A secured market for their Galaxy line!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.