Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Per one of the YouTube reviewers, there is no audio out. If you do audio work, you're going to have to rig up a work around or find an older Mac.

What? Who does "audio work" and uses Apples internal line-out? Thats what converters are for. There is still audio out in the headphones.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Is there not an Audio In on the new iMac? I see there's Audio Out / Headphones but not In....

The microphone is built into it. It is professional quality. The true genius of Apple and Jony is in what they leave out of their products.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
The microphone is built into it. It is professional quality. The true genius of Apple and Jony is in what they leave out of their products.

Nope it's not. You're not a genius when a normal user has to buy an adapter. To me the standard (and its been for years) is a normal 3.5mm jack in for a mic.
------------
Anyhow, high prices. The issue is RAM, the others can be justified.A 3tb fusion drive seems good. It all depends on the actual speed you get across the board.

Also I think its stupid to sell a that smooth and nice looking machine with a 5200 rpm disk. Even to have it as a option. If a non-techy user ends up with that config you'll get a bad impression. The machine will look way better then it actually performs. And disk speeds really helps on how fast he machine feels for the end user.

Rather it be 150$ more expensive and have fusion as standard. And of course, user upgradable RAM. If the retina version will come as non user upgradable, I'm not getting it! In your face Apple!

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
i do wish jonny would get off his anorexic kick and let desktops be desktops. Who cares about the weight, your desk isn't going to complain. I totally understand the need for lighter laptops, but there's a reason we want to buy an all_in_one desktop. We don't want to have to attach extra boxes to do what the 2011 mac did.

+1

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Per one of the YouTube reviewers, there is no audio out. If you do audio work, you're going to have to rig up a work around or find an older Mac.

Can't even imagine someone doing audio work on integrated audio using its silly line-in. Seriously, it's the most idiotic thing I've heard about audio work.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Of course, when I bought my Mac SE in 1990 or so, it was $2,500. Had a 20MB hard drive, hand Motorola 8MHz processor, 1 MB of ram, and a floppy drive.

We had that! Actually, with my mother's educational discount, that and an ImageWriter II was just about three grand!

It was also more upgradable than these new iMacs! We put an extra video card in there to drive a full page display so my dad could use it to write reports, and shoved in 4MB of RAM. I think the RAM was about $100 a MB at the time. Might have been more! Don't forget that the floppy was a Superdrive that could store 1.4MB per disk.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Here's an idea: if Apple pisses you off so much quit buying their stuff. No one id putting a gun to your head forcing you to buy any of their products. If you really want to change things the only way to do so is with your wallet. :)

But it's shiny! Maybe they should just release the exact same computers next year, but with extra shine. People will buy it up!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I'm not quite up to getting a new iMac just yet, but if something happened to mine, I would be getting:
  • High end 27"
  • Bumped up graphics
  • Probably the fusion drive, maybe on the 3TB disk
  • A maybe on the processor upgrade, it depends on all the differences between the 2.
  • And a 16GB memory kit from a third party. 8GB is at the edge of useable for me currently and at the current memory prices, might as well get the largest memory kit available for the open slots.

I dislike the absence of FireWire, but all my external disks have USB ports as well. I think it was maybe a year or so too early for Apple to drop them.

sauceman38

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
How does Apple not have the price configurations and shipping estimates, but a reseller does?! Just another ball dropped by Apple.

sauceman38

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Just Curious, why does that indicate the "ball was dropped".

Well, maybe not ball dropped, but to me, it doesn't look right. You can already begin pre-ordering through another company, but not the company that makes the product? I've been waiting for this computer for a long time. I will most likely wait it out, but I did consider purchasing a PC instead. Apple continues to string their customers along, and in the long run, it will hurt them. I believe their business deals and strategy allowed Google and Android (not to mention Samsung) to get as strong as they did in the cell phone market. Apple decided to go exclusive with a single carrier and it hurt them. I can speak from experience because I wasn't willing to move to AT&T, so I bought an Android phone instead. Just my opinion.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
$600 :eek: ? That's not just ridiculous. That's absolutely LUDICROUS.

You can get 32 GB from Newegg for prices as low as ~$160.

This is just utterly ridiculous (or ludicrous. Either one works.). Charging $300 would not be unexpected, and I wouldn't be surprised at $400, but SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS? They should be ashamed of such a blatant ripoff, and this is coming from a big Apple fan.

What do you think the hardware costs for the iphone is? And what do you think the overall hardware costs on the computers are? That $600 is simply consistent with the upcharge you are already paying for everything else

lpgorbet

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Exactly why All-in-One systems are impractical for some. Aside from very few BTO options that are over priced, owners can only modify the RAM. Everything else is built in, rendering simple updates such as graphics cards impossible. The prices have increased tremendously since the PPC years, 27" base iMac's cost what a PowerMac G5 cost, in fact MORE than (I paid ~$1500 for a PowerMac G5 before the Mac Pro with Xeon Intel processors replaced it). Spending $2000+ for a 27" model that will lose AppleCare coverage in three years with little room for upgrades is ludicrous (so is daisy chaining numerous external devices, which many photographers are forced to do, defeating the purpose of a "clean and simple" all-in-one desktop).

A tower such as a Mac Pro can be upgraded, individual components swapped on-site with little to no down time, and can last longer. My 12-Core Mac Pro, which is almost three years old but is still the current model, has lasted me longer than my MacBook Pro's. I added a USB 3 CalDigit PCIe card, replaced my ATI Radeon with a newer model, added a SSD and LG Blu-Ray burner (OS X can play Blu-Ray's with third party app's), four SATA II HDD's, etc. If one of my drives fails, power down, swap it out, done. Less than a few minutes. For an iMac, you're looking at days.

Agreed. What sucks is that Apple hasn't sold a moderately priced Mac Pro in a long long time. Something with half the number of slots, less power supply, etc. A bridge between the Mini (which has a lame GPU, only two RAM slots, and no room (I think) for an SSD + HD -- and the GPU etc. are not user changeable) and today's big-bucks-only Pro's. This year's releases only widened that gap. Last year's iMac could have 32GB RAM, both an HD and SSD (e.g. thorough OWC)... No more. What's narrowed is the performance difference between today's iMac and the one available a year and a half ago.'

juliazo

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Someone mentioned iMac's in businesses are fine as they can be repaired in 1-2 hours, B**LS**T. I work in communications and IT, if an iMac fails you better have a backup and hope Apple will fast track it as they need to diagnose the issue, order the parts (Apple DOES NOT carry stock parts), then repair. No on-site repairs unless you are using a third party, which negates AppleCare and is a risk should they further damage your system.

Not entirely accurate. Due to the amount of Macs we own, we have the ability to order parts ourselves, which are always overnighted, regardless of whether the computer is in our out of warranty. I understand the typical IT department doesn't deal with Macs, but a certified Apple technician with some experience can and will replace almost any component in less than a couple of hours. Also, if you don't have a certified Apple tech on staff, AppleCare (on anything that's not portable; i.e., iMacs, MacPro, etc) will send someone onsite for the repair... it's in the T&Cs of AppleCare, though very few people notice and/or take advantage of this. And if you happen to need a third-party to do the repairs, there's a huge network of AASPs (second "A" stands for "Authorized", as in "won't void your warranty") that are willing provide excellent service.

Sorry about the rant... We've been successfully running a 100% Mac-based company for just over 20 years now, which I've been supporting for the last 10, so I flinch whenever I hear someone saying that Macs don't belong in the business environment. And iMacs are excellent business workstations for many reasons, not the least of which is that the AIO format keeps the environment clean and free of many of the problems that inevitably follow when adding third-party components or upgrades. My $.02.

----------

I do wish Jonny would get off his anorexic kick and let desktops be desktops. Who cares about the weight, your desk isn't going to complain. I totally understand the need for lighter laptops, but there's a reason we want to buy an ALL_IN_ONE desktop. We don't want to have to attach extra boxes to do what the 2011 Mac did.

Well, it's in YouTube, so it has to be true. Oh, wait, no.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Actually, the Intel technology is the more efficient and better solution IMO. Here's my understanding of the two technologies:

Intel's Smart Response cache works at the firmware level and caches data at the block layer on the SSD. Frequently used blocks are mirrored on the SSD.

Apple's technology works at the OS level, and the end drive is the total size of both drives added together. The OS decides what files are being accessed most frequently and moves them over to the SSD as appropriate. You have the benefit of having the extra 128 GB of space available to you at the expense of $250.

When you consider the end result, everything in a computer ends up getting stored in blocks on a secondary storage device like a HDD or SSD. When a CPU needs to request data, it first looks to RAM for the data, and then if the data isn't in RAM, the computer must fetch it from the secondary storage. If the block is a frequently accessed block (or in a file that is frequently accessed), then it is going to fetch it from the SSD in both scenarios.

Apple's solution is actually less efficient because it will store an entire logical file on the SSD, even if only parts of the file are what is accessed frequently.

There are certainly pros & cons to both, moreover they are not mutually exclusive technologies, though I suspect the benefits of a hybrid cache/tier system in non-enterprise situations would be imperceptible. I was simply pointing out tiering is something that has been historically complicated and expensive to implement.

Considering tiering will result in a longer lifespan of the SSD and less likely to experience a “cache miss” thus negating the SSD advantage, tiering makes for an overall better user experience for the typical Apple user. The two biggest worries with Fusion are the lack of redundancy found in enterprise level tiering and even with the reduced write stress on the SSD compared to caching those drives have an expiration date. I know I’ll be getting Apple Care on mine :)

Also worth pointing out Fusion isn’t file level storage: http://jollyjinx.tumblr.com/post/34694173142/more-on-byo-fusion-drive-i-wanted-to-know-how

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I'm looking at the high end 27" machine. The consensus seems to be that the Fusion Drive is nessessary. The question I now have is should I upgrade the CPU or Graphics, or neither. Money really is an issue. I will upgrade the RAM next year as my budget allows.

Also, I will have this machine for probably six years. If the HHD dies out of warrantee, can I simply connect a Thunderbolt drive and continue pretty much as normal?

Jeffythequick

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
OK, here I go for my first post...

I'm buying the 27" decked out, except for the RAM, and install that myself.

I'm debating the 1TB/3TB option, as if I need more HD space, I can go the Thunderbolt option. I figure 10Gbps > 600 Mbps (SATA) when I need it, but I do want the Fusion drive for the internal, and debating SSD externals with the Thunderbolt.

Since I'm using the word, Thunderbolt so much, and previously (in my PC days), the external interfaces were the bottleneck, and also with it being 10Gbps vs. SATA 600 Mbps, would the HD be the bottleneck in this setup? If so, then internal hard drives are no longer the limiting factor that they would appear to be, and the next issue is cost of the external drive enclosure(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.