Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I guess this explains the stock price drop. If Apple can't ship enough product then they won't do the projected sales no matter how popular their stuff is.

I'm looking forward to seeing the iMacs in person. I certainly like the way mine looks and I'm really not sure that I will see much advantage to the thin design. Though the way my iMac is set up at home, the edge is very visible when you walk into the room. So maybe I would have been a candidate for this thin design.

Are their supply constraints for the Mini in the US or can you just go in and buy it at an Apple store? The website says two weeks delivery. But are they getting product to the stores? That would seem to be crucial to getting the impulse buy sales.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
i

They make the best products on each category and are the only ones doing something innovative for the industry since 98.

Define best?

If you want a computer that plays BluRay films, or say Games at the very best you can get then are they "Best" for that?

No.

Best is a machine that can do ANY task the best it can, and for that you would need a Mac Pro (assuming 3rd party makers support them with current top of the line add in cards, or a PC)

A computer in a pretty box, is not the best computer

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I think you have the wrong definition of what "dropping the ball" means.

So you are saying Apple is scoring by not being able to get product in hands of consumers? Seems used the phrase correct to me, esp. in the case of the iMac.

It's one thing to say you can't make product fast enough because of high demand, but entirely different when you can't make the product hardly at all because of parts production and assembly failures.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Define best?

If you want a computer that plays BluRay films, or say Games at the very best you can get then are they "Best" for that?

No.

Best is a machine that can do ANY task the best it can, and for that you would need a Mac Pro (assuming 3rd party makers support them with current top of the line add in cards, or a PC)

A computer in a pretty box, is not the best computer

This I think counts on the way you use a computer, either Apple or PC. I have used PC, PC laptops and now a MBP. Yes, I know my MBP won't be better than a PC at the same price, mainly of course it is a laptop, but I find it still performs so well that is unmatched by any PC laptops I have touched.

Can u get 8 hrs of battery life out of a PC laptop when you really need? Never, even a PC laptop running on i3 won't have more than 2.5 hrs of battery life.

However, if I now still have space for a PC tower, I would never buy a Mac as well.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
In the first 3 days Apple "sold" 3 milj. iPad mostly minis (4 nov), don't tell me they can't produce not more then 3 milj. for the rest of the year.

I don't believe anything that comes from DigiTimes. Their track record is horrible.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I can see the reason for the iMac panel, but honestly I can't for the iPad mini: what's the problem with that kind of panel ???

----------

This is really Appalling. You have to pay through your nose and wait for ages to get hold of a product with inferior and outdated internals.
Inferior to what ?
User experience is something more important that technical specs ...

Does any new Apple product ever come out anymore that isn't sold out and in short supply with blah blah supply shortage blah blah at launch? I haven't seen that since the iPhone 3G came out.. whereabouts.

This is true ... maybe a little bit of marketing in this "shortage" ?

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I'm a bit confused... by the time the 2012 iMacs are released, Haswell will only be a few months away?

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
and what about itunes
giggle.gif
?

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Problems with screen yield you say? I'm completely shocked. This would never happen of Steve wa....

</sarcasm>

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
And Tim Cook e-mailed saying...

"Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.

Forbes now follows up with additional corroboration of both Mac Pro and iMac updates coming down the road, with the updates likely appearing next year. The information was provided directly by an Apple spokesperson.

An Apple spokesman just told me that new models and new designs of the Mac Pro, as well as the iMac desktop, are in the works and will likely be released in 2013. That confirms what New York Times columnist David Pogue said yesterday, citing an unnamed Apple executive, about Apple’s commitment to its desktop computers." - qoute from a Recent MacRumors posting you can find in archives...

So no worries people, Power Macs available December 31st, 2013! After all 2013 has 365 days in it. Very clear to me, too! :rolleyes:
/

/
/

FYI, Apple doesn't make Power Macs anymore...;)

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
This is really Appalling. You have to pay through your nose and wait for ages to get hold of a product with inferior and outdated internals.

I'm sorry, how is an Ivy Bridge machine with a 675MX/680MX "outdated"?

What GPU has replaced the two in the 27" iMac? What more-current processor has replaced the Ivy Bridge CPU in the iMac?

----------

I'm a bit confused... by the time the 2012 iMacs are released, Haswell will only be a few months away?

And? Haswell is almost irrelevant for the iMac since it has a discrete GPU. The big gains for Haswell will be for mobile systems.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I guess that is somewhat true when they said Apple was a victim of its own success. Many, many products to maintain - one can only do so much.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

You do not have to pay anything at all for Apple products, because it sounds like you need to evaluate other options if you consider the new iMacs bad products.

You do not have to wait for ages. It is possible to buy other PC's or whatever will do the job you need them for when you need them..

You do not have to get a hold of this product at all.

You do have to get a grip on life and what is important!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
There was a time when Apple had access to intel chips earlier than the rest of the industry and had product to ship first. Now they are more than six months behind the industry. Why? Because Apple continues to be obsessed with the thin. This is what failure looks like.

If what Apple is doing is failure, I bet many more companies wish they were a failure :D.

jbrunner14

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
What time do sales begin??

I am new to ordering an Apple product at the first launch and was wondering if anyone knows exactly what time online sales begin for the new iMac.

Is it midnight EST? Midnight PST? Some time later in the morning?

I appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
It's interesting to read reactions to a story that mainly restates what Tim Cook said several weeks ago about the constraints in iMac availability through the end of the year. This isn't news, but confirmation of what we already knew.

Exactly... Shouldn't the statement from the CEO of the company have been confirmation enough? This is just official news from Tim Cook a month ago being repeated.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Unfortunately for those who have been waiting and are need of the iMac right now I think this is the case - if you can wait I would seriously consider giving it a couple month until after the first ones are delivered to:

A. Allow the production line to master / perfect the process
B. Ascertain if there are any unforeseen issues.

Personally, if time is on your side, then wait for the Rev B to come out. I reckon this iMac will have a far shorter life cycle this time around as Haswell chips will be available in the summer and this would also allow Apple to tweak the design / engineering to overcome any issues that may become evident. My guess would be September 2013.

Despite what many believe Apples quality control in not all that it should be and there does seem to be a disconnect between design and engineering (there have been screen issues with the iMac since 2009 - 2011 due to design which they won't officially acknowledge but I can personally vouch is very real).

Saying all this I appreciate the excitement and anticipation of those who are going to bite the bullet, so s0d it, just order it and enjoy (maybe with your fingers crossed;)).

Stop making sense here!

The tinfoil hat crowd in this forum likes to complain as if Apple owes them anything and they like to act as if there are no options.

It must be this or I will die!!!!!!

They want it all and they want it now and it must be their way.

These new iMacs will sell well.

PS:
You must be an experienced Apple consumer. While Apple has gotten better with their A productions (hence the delays) I agree that it is always better to wait for Rev. B., sometimes even Rev C. (Outwaited the iPad until #3)

Prices are usually the same, but they give you more memory or something and usually within 6 months.

Anybody who has ever produced anything new knows that despite the best planning , zero production test runs etc. it all changes when the chips are down and one needs to run large quantities for real.

Only then do all the problems show up.

People who think that any company wouldn't like to ship every piece they can make as fast as possible need to take a business 101 class!

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
This is Tim changing suppliers. It would be worse if he was not a guru..
The crap you guys make up. :D I love it when people here act like they have some kind of personal insight into the inner-workings of Apple and its top executives.

The most powerful corporation on the planet does not launch a new product line during the holidays with an expectation the supply chains will be choked off. Somebody screwed up.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I am new to ordering an Apple product at the first launch and was wondering if anyone knows exactly what time online sales begin for the new iMac.

Is it midnight EST? Midnight PST? Some time later in the morning?

I appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

My best guess is midnight PST, since they will be available in stores. It wouldn't make sense to wait until 9am PST to let you order online when stores on the east coast would open at 9am EST (6am PST)

but then again, maybe they are going to wait until 9am for online orders... you really never know, but I'm going to be checking at midnight ET, midnight PT, 9am ET, and 9am PT to make sure I can get my order in as soon as they launch! I've already been waiting a year for the refresh...

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
It's not life or death. People just need to be patient.

What sort of patients? People waited for new iMac nearly a year (ex: me) and it was too late (include 1st cycle to test) and got a mini, but still problems with mini. 10.8.2? start up probs from external drive. these all after houndreds of pound. so, can we still talk any patients?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.