Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
If I don't download too many apps and stay on iOS 6 will my iPhone 5 stay as fast?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
If I don't download too many apps and stay on iOS 6 will my iPhone 5 stay as fast?

I have 64Gb almost full with apps, it won't slow your phone down.

With the speed of this phone I am sure a iOS7 won't slow it down and maybe even iOS8 depending on what they add to both of them. I bought my grandmother an iPhone 4 when I purchased the 5 for my wife and I and my grandmothers phone runs perfectly fine on iOS6.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009

Not necessarily. The number of apps you have downloaded does not have an effect on the speed of your phone.

Whether the next iOS version will have an effect will be seen when it is released, at which point it is possible that it runs a little slower, but it's equally possible that it runs the same, or faster. Just depends on how it's coded.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
If u want to stay fast, just stay on iOS 6 even apple release iOS 8.

But you'll be missing a lot of features that way.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
With the dual core CPU's, I can't see any iOS release noticeably bogging down either the 4S or the 5 for their 2-3 major iOS updates.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
IOS and Android (sorry can't help but bring this comparison up) are completely different architectures in terms of programming and design, and as such an iPhone DOES not slow down regardless of what you do with it. Now, of course if your playing a high specced game that your processor cannot handle, your game won't run smooth but the operating system always will remain as so.

Android tends to get slower because of the different ways they handle things, such as multi tasking, they have - what android fans like to tout - 'true' multi tasking and as such programmes tend to stay in full operation even when you are not using them, this causes the phone to become slow and unresponsive and its why google has added a convenient "Close all" button just with a simple swipe. Its also the main reason why their processors are alot more powerful because its needed to run these operation systems smoothly and why iPhones are still using single and duel cores, android however have quad cores and soon hexacores.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Android tends to get slower because of the different ways they handle things, such as multi tasking, they have - what android fans like to tout - 'true' multi tasking and as such programmes tend to stay in full operation even when you are not using them
That's not totally correct. Certain background apps continue to run while others are suspended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.