Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Tried the above suggestion but only worked once with the Terminal command, than back again to the 20 second shutdown. I'll wait until Apple comes up with its own fix, I hope

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Tried the above suggestion but only worked once with the Terminal command, than back again to the 20 second shutdown. I'll wait until Apple comes up with its own fix, I hope

I doubt they will - even though asking some people for system logs...there're too many bugs which haven't been corrected recently.

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
The culprit causing this is appleeventsd
When shutting down, the appleeventsd process refuses to terminate, hence causing a long shutdown.

I tried all steps in this thread, no go :(
Hopefully Apple will fix up this thing in 10.8.3

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
this is mine ... any suggestions? there r so many commands to "fix" this issue posted by now that i dont even know which one i should try ;)

35jxevk.png

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
You guys are funny. :D

I really don't understand why you all are so keen on applying the short-lived and potentially dangerous terminal hacks.

Just live with it until 10.8.3. I do believe this one will be fixed as Apple has had some two-way correspondence with a few users about this very thing.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I just shut down my system because it was acting up and it took over a minute. I just left before it finished. I have no idea why this is getting so bad. its constantly reindexing drives, "upgrading calendars", etc. What happened to apple making a reliable machine?

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Posted a bugreport on https://bugreport.apple.com. Apple replied immediately asking to attach system report file. It looks like Apple is working hard on this problem. I can also see that they marked my ticked as a duplicate to another ticket.

As it was already noted here, I would suggest everybody who has this problem file a bugreport at Apple. The more data they have the sooner they can fix it.

Opened up an issue back in October and was also asked for system logs, received information today that it was closed as a duplicate too. Seems like they're making progress (and we hopefully see the result in 10.8.3...).

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Opened up an issue back in October and was also asked for system logs, received information today that it was closed as a duplicate too. Seems like they're making progress (and we hopefully see the result in 10.8.3...).
Now that 10.8.3 is in the hands of developers... I'm hoping one of them can risk torture, prison and confiscation of personal property by giving a hint this quirk is indeed fixed.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
FYI:The latest beta 10.8.3 12D32 (released on 26/11) does not fix the slow shutdown issues on my rMBP. Pity..

Reading the seed note, 10.8.3 is mainly focused on graphics driver, game center, airplay, airport and Safari 6.0.2

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
FYI:The latest beta 10.8.3 12D32 (released on 26/11) does not fix the slow shutdown issues on my rMBP. Pity..

Reading the seed note, 10.8.3 is mainly focused on graphics driver, game center, airplay, airport and Safari 6.0.2

Makes total sense. Fix the general "consumer" crap first and then the core functionality if there's time. No surprise. :(

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

As Apple never admitted there's a problem around there will never be an official fix or any mention of it.

If you're still facing the problem with 10.8.3 though I like to quote Krazy Bill :D

Now that 10.8.3 is in the hands of developers... I'm hoping one of them can risk torture, prison and confiscation of personal property by giving a hint this quirk is indeed fixed.

Last edited:

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I checked what is causing my delay and found the following:

20004971 com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.securityd 15 Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds). Killing

20007096 com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.coreservices.appleevents 62 Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds). Killing

I guess my problems are with "securityd" and "appleevents".

pollakalos

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Final Solution

Guys

I spent a whole day searching. This is why i re-posting this here, hopefully to save other peoples' time....

Originally Posted by GerMo

:cool:Thank god! I have finally found the solution to this problem! Seems like there are old Java files floating around the system which you need to delete. I'll teach you how here.

1. Firstly, navigate to "Macintosh HD > Library" in Mac OS X Lion

2. Delete the folder named "Java" (will not cause any harm to your mac, you can easily install it again)

3. Empty Trash

4. Shut down! It should be instant, (as I said before, my late-2010 macbook air took 23 secs to shut down, now, it takes 2 seconds)

5. Boot back up, should be faster too, but shut down is much faster

6. You're done! Once you run anything Java related, Mac OS X Lion will prompt you and ask you to install the Java, press yes and install it. It won't affect your shut down time anymore because this is the brand new version. You need to take this step even if you installed the new version when you first upgraded to Lion.

I hope this helps everybody who are affected by this problem.

Give me a vote if it works!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Guys

I spent a whole day searching. This is why i re-posting this here, hopefully to save other peoples' time....

:cool:Thank god! I have finally found the solution to this problem! Seems like there are old Java files floating around the system which you need to delete. I'll teach you how here.

2. Delete the folder named "Java" (will not cause any harm to your mac, you can easily install it again)

3. Empty Trash

4. Shut down! It should be instant, (as I said before, my late-2010 macbook air took 23 secs to shut down, now, it takes 2 seconds)

6. You're done! Once you run anything Java related, Mac OS X Lion will prompt you and ask you to install the Java, press yes and install it. It won't affect your shut down time anymore because this is the brand new version. You need to take this step even if you installed the new version when you first upgraded to Lion.

SUCCESS!

Thanks. I wasn't prompted to reinstall Java as you said, but your fix most definitely worked! Shut down time went down from 25 seconds to 5 seconds, and stayed that way through 2 reboots. :D

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Guys

3. Empty Trash

Sorry, but this does not work in the long run. Tried before (month or so ago when someone else suggested same fix, and failed. Tried it again today with the following results..

1. 20 second shut down prior to doing the suggested fix

2. 3 second shut down with so called fix

3. 9 second shut down afterwards

4. 11 second shut down later

5. 4 second shut down later still

6. 20 second shut down than after, with an occasional 5 second shut down on/off as has been reported weeks/months ago.... :( This fix suggestion, as shown has been tried months ago from many on this forum and the official Apple support forum. Not a good fix

Last edited:

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Beta 12D50 seems to have a significant effect on shutdowns. Just over 6 seconds with the guy in this post!

I decided to test this on a 2012 cMBP. SSD

After closing all apps I shut it down. The timer started when I clicked on the pop up menu to shut down.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Beta 12D50 seems to have a significant effect on shutdowns. Just over 6 seconds with the guy in this post!

Well, it depends on the individual systems.

I would still be very frustrated with a 6 seconds shutdown, as my standard shutdown time is less than a second on the SSD version (and 20 seconds once the problem occurs).

But the more people are reporting improvments, the more I start hoping Apple gets things sorted!

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
I would still be very frustrated with a 6 seconds shutdown, as my standard shutdown time is less than a second on the SSD version (and 20 seconds once the problem occurs).

But the more people are reporting improvments, the more I start hoping Apple gets things sorted!

Considering Lion done it in 1 - 2. You more or less clicked shutdown then heard the click.

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Wow.. that's a fast Mac w/ SSD.. 30 sec is RE-DONK-U-LUS!!

Not for an SSD machine it's not! With 10.8.1 would get 20 second restarts (from useable to cold shutdown, back to useable). 10.8.2 prolonged it to like two minutes (not why I spent 3K on SSD etc). Now that I'm back to Lion (10.7.5), it's 24" restart. Believe me- restart times are crazy fast with SSD and Retina machines. Spoils you really fast and makes you take notice when something is wrong! That's why no 10.8 for me until they fix it, but from what I understand apple is hard at work on it with either 10.8.3 or 10.8.4.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.