Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Hey guys, just thought I'd ask before I exchange my iPad Mini. Got it yesterday. Have you seen any issues with the screen flickering? It flickers like the auto-darkness is on (but it's not on) and 20 times as fast. My assumption being a hardware engineer is that the display connector is loose. If I tap the back of the iPad it gets worse and the screen really flips out :confused: Then it finally settles back into it's normal flicker. Did this ever since I powered it up

I searched and haven't found anything. I'm not sure my Apple store would even have a replacement at this point. Seems like most places are out of stock

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Hey guys, just thought I'd ask before I exchange my iPad Mini. Got it yesterday. Have you seen any issues with the screen flickering? It flickers like the auto-darkness is on (but it's not on) and 20 times as fast. My assumption being a hardware engineer is that the display connector is loose. If I tap the back of the iPad it gets worse and the screen really flips out :confused: Then it finally settles back into it's normal flicker. Did this ever since I powered it up

I searched and haven't found anything. I'm not sure my Apple store would even have a replacement at this point. Seems like most places are out of stock

the stores keep a separate stock for returns/DOA's.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
the stores keep a separate stock for returns/DOA's.

This is good to know ;)

It's strange to me that this happened. I've never had this issue and I've owned 5+ ipads in the past. It's clearly hardware related. Nothing is perfect, guess I'm one of very few :eek:

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
It was very small but SO distracting, especially on bright white web pages. I mean, it's. a 7.9" screen and it should be clear w/o and crap underneath the glass.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I agree. I love how apple has a no questions asked policy. This has been twice now that they've replaced/exchanged a product within the 14 days without even looking at it! :cool:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I agree. I love how apple has a no questions asked policy. This has been twice now that they've replaced/exchanged a product within the 14 days without even looking at it! :cool:

They don't exactly want to give your money back so yeah they'll exchange it.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
I've noticed this a few times on mine. However, I can't reliably replicate the issue. Will this be an issue if I take it into Apple to get it fixed?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
My 32 had dead pixels. Swapped it without looking. However no 32 in stock so they gave me a 64 for no extra charge. They paid the difference (£80) using Apple vouchers. Result.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
My 32 had dead pixels. Swapped it without looking. However no 32 in stock so they gave me a 64 for no extra charge. They paid the difference (£80) using Apple vouchers. Result.

Same thing happened to me. I had a 32GB but they gave me a 64GB instead. I didn't realize this till I was halfway home as it was never mentioned! :eek:

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012

Same thing happened to me. I had a 32GB but they gave me a 64GB instead. I didn't realize this till I was halfway home as it was never mentioned! :eek:

Wow, you guys lucked out! Awfully generous of them to do! I'll be happy if mine just arrives in great condition overall (black 16 ordered online from Tekserve).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.