Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LakeCountry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Hey guys,

with the new iMacs finally being announced for Friday I am looking for an external DVD burner that is cheap yet reliable. Its design is not important to me as I'll be using it once a week and it'll be living in my closet most of the time.
I did a quick research about this (oh my god, there are many of these out there) an found Samsung's products to fit my needs best...or not?

Budget: about 25€ / $30 (again, mainly using it once a week to watch a movie and occaisonally burning some files - no professional use intended)
Maybe this thread can also help like-minded people, I'm sure many of the iMac 2012 buyers want a cheap DVD drive "just in case"!

Regards,
Lakecountry

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I was going to make this thread earlier.

I'm hoping to find a Blu-ray drive that's bus powered.

I found the perfect one but they stopped manufacturing them for some reason (I think it was Toshiba).

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Check out Ebay for an external. I bought one about 2 years ago and only paid $35 for it. I needed an extra one for burning DVD's. I would not pay more than $50 for it unless you have very specific needs. I still have my external and use it occasionally, and it works as good as the day I bought it. And if you can find one that is a single cable instead of 2 cables it will be better. Little bit of a pain at times having 2 cables around. I know several people who have externals that they bought cheap on Ebay and most are still using them. My player will both read and write so that will not be an issue either. So my suggestion is stay cheap on it unless you are planning on using it a lot or have very specific needs. Mine is 2 years old and still works like a charm.

LakeCountry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Got this one for my sister's MacBook Air:

http://www.amazon.de/AmazonBasics-D...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1354111478&sr=1-1

I also used it for about a month straight just queuing and ripping my dvd collection (100's of hours of disc spinning) and it's still working as new so it should last a while!

Thanks man, simple and cheap - that's what I'm looking for! Now thats a hard one: Both are rated 4,5 stars, powered via one single cable and both cost 29 €...

http://www.amazon.de/AmazonBasics-DVD-Brenner-externes-optisches-Laufwerk/dp/B003M0NT1M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1WG9S3YNG21SJ&coliid=I3R8JMVY1L60SH

or

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-SE-208AB-externer-Brenner-Software/dp/B005N2UE2O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1WG9S3YNG21SJ&coliid=I1LCV38XJ45NGX

Which one's better? Are there differences i'm missing?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Thanks man, simple and cheap - that's what I'm looking for! Now thats a hard one: Both are rated 4,5 stars, powered via one single cable and both cost 29 €...

http://www.amazon.de/AmazonBasics-DVD-Brenner-externes-optisches-Laufwerk/dp/B003M0NT1M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1WG9S3YNG21SJ&coliid=I3R8JMVY1L60SH

or

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-SE-208AB-externer-Brenner-Software/dp/B005N2UE2O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1WG9S3YNG21SJ&coliid=I1LCV38XJ45NGX

Which one's better? Are there differences i'm missing?

Obviously I can't comment on the Samsung one, but they appear to be the same?

One is x6 and one is x8 though, but I'm not sure whether that would make any difference?

Otherwise I can highly recommend the Amazon one, and the Samsung one (From reviews) looks to be just as good!

Spiffious

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
I am planning to wait on this purchase a bit. With so many new computers entering the market in need of an external optical drive, my feeling is that there will be more and better options sometime in the next year. I am hoping for a nicely designed usb3 or thunderbolt bluray burner drive that perhaps also acts as a hub.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I am planning to wait on this purchase a bit. With so many new computers entering the market in need of an external optical drive, my feeling is that there will be more and better options sometime in the next year. I am hoping for a nicely designed usb3 or thunderbolt bluray burner drive that perhaps also acts as a hub.

I get the hub, but do you really think manufacturers will integrate thunderbolt and usb into such a low cost part/dying part?

The blu ray burner/reader wouldn't benefit from either connections. Why hold off when you can purchase the tech at its highest point? I guarantee you optical will not improve, it will die.

Actually, they will integrate USB 3, not for faster read or write, purely for people like yourself who believe it to be 'better'. They'll charge you more for tech that wouldn't make a difference. I'm not calling you stupid but the manufacturers prey on people like you.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
PC World, Currys, Argos, Comet! - Maplin charge a lot for the same stuff.

The above are all over priced anyway, order online from Amazon or eBay instead.

Thanks. Can you recommend a decent one from Amazon? I haven't used an external optical drive before, and will probably need one pretty quickly to install Photoshop.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Thanks. Can you recommend a decent one from Amazon? I haven't used an external optical drive before, and will probably need one pretty quickly to install Photoshop.

How much are you looking to spend? I only ask as the named brands - sony, samsung etc are all quite reliable and you have warranty to boot.

If you have enough for a Apple superdrive i'd go for one with your iMac. Now it is a slight premium compared to other drives but then again it matches the aesthetics of your new iMac entirely.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
How much are you looking to spend? I only ask as the named brands - sony, samsung etc are all quite reliable and you have warranty to boot.

If you have enough for a Apple superdrive i'd go for one with your iMac. Now it is a slight premium compared to other drives but then again it matches the aesthetics of your new iMac entirely.

I can easily afford the superdrive, but wondered if the less expensive ones might perform better??? Will have a think about it :)

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I just bought this one for my mini - works perfect. Not USB 3 or Blu-ray, of course, but it was on sale for $25 the other day. Not sure who'd have it in the UK, but it's pretty nice - aluminum case and very solid feeling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.