Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SagorHasan

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
So you were online on your uni campus? Did you click on the education store for "Higher Education"?

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did and I paid for HE price. Now if it didn't go through, why is it showing 1 year telephone support?! I would be 90 days then, ain't it?!! So do you think I definitely will get 3 years updated after 9-10 weeks??

If everything is fine, I am wondering why Apple Customer Service employees don't know things and confuses customers around? :mad:

lemondrops

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Devon, England
The free 3 year warranty only applies to laptops and desktops, the keyboard and monitor will not be covered.

However, if you buy the MBP and monitor on the same order and pay for the uplift to AppleCare on the MBP (~£50) then your monitor will be covered for 3 years. This works for some accessories (monitors, time capsules etc) but not to keyboards.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

John92

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
London, UK
Ordered rMBP with uplift

Hey,

I was wondering if you could help me. I order a rMBP via phone using the HE discount. I did go for the uplift as I didn't know they came with three years warranty-hardware. I was wondering if I was to cancel the uplift would I still get three years free hardware warranty.

I live and study in the UK (applecare offers international cover) and don't have any moniters and don't think i need telephone support after a year as I love in London an have stores near by. Do you think that the uplift is worth it?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Hey,

I was wondering if you could help me. I order a rMBP via phone using the HE discount. I did go for the uplift as I didn't know they came with three years warranty-hardware. I was wondering if I was to cancel the uplift would I still get three years free hardware warranty.

I live and study in the UK (applecare offers international cover) and don't have any moniters and don't think i need telephone support after a year as I love in London an have stores near by. Do you think that the uplift is worth it?

I expect you could phone to cancel- distance selling laws and all. Never known anyone do that, so don't know if defaults to the free warranty (it should, but I don't know how it works).

The only other factor is resale. Even though the warranty appears to be tied to the machine, if you try to sell and say " no it doesn't have AppleCare, but has this free student warranty deal" people may be sceptical! If you plan on keeping it for three years then that's less of an issue.

AdamskiUK

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Hi guys,

What I was wondering was that if I apply this discount, would I still be eligible to claim back UK VAT as a business product?

For instance, say I was sponsored through University by a small business for my degree, could I make use of the fact that they're VAT registered and say that the MBP was for work too?

This would make the £1800 15" MPB £1530 with HE discounts, and on top of that I could claim back up to 20% in vat, totalling a notebook that's looking at about £1200 as opposed to £1800.

Perhaps I'm just getting hopeful and carried away, but I wouldn't mind seeing a bill for £1200 instead of £1800 for such a piece of kit.

Thanks for any knowledge in advance,

Adam

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
How many times can you redeem the student discount in a given year - the once ( academic year or calendar)? What if it's different form factors (Mac Pro vs. a MBP)?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London

No idea I'm afraid!

How many times can you redeem the student discount in a given year - the once ( academic year or calendar)? What if it's different form factors (Mac Pro vs. a MBP)?

My OP quotes section 2.8 of the T&Cs. The limit is one desktop AND one mac mini AND one laptop per academic year. For some reason they split the mac mini out seperatley from the other desktops. Academic year is not defined, I'd say a reasonable time in the UK would be 1 Sept - 31 Aug?

M-X

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
Hey,

Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of doing the same

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2012
Hey
i want to buy a macbook pro online with discount but i am currently in college. I know that the college discount is not as much as the uni.

One of my friends goes to uni and has the password to order online with the full uni discount fees.

I am not sure if i should use it as i dont want to get in trouble or anything! should i just wait another year till im at uni or buy it even though i am not in uni yet?:confused:

bunts

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
UK
Hi guys,

What I was wondering was that if I apply this discount, would I still be eligible to claim back UK VAT as a business product?

For instance, say I was sponsored through University by a small business for my degree, could I make use of the fact that they're VAT registered and say that the MBP was for work too?

This would make the £1800 15" MPB £1530 with HE discounts, and on top of that I could claim back up to 20% in vat, totalling a notebook that's looking at about £1200 as opposed to £1800.

Perhaps I'm just getting hopeful and carried away, but I wouldn't mind seeing a bill for £1200 instead of £1800 for such a piece of kit.

Thanks for any knowledge in advance,

Adam

I've often wondered this. One thing I have found out is that you must buy in-store or by calling their "business team" as buying via the online store (even the business online store) with or without the student discount won't qualify for a VAT refund when you submit your return. It's so easy to do, and certainly not made very clear so one to be aware of!

My Father almost bought a Mac for his business through the online store and it was only by double checking that I found this out.

Let me know if you find anything out regarding the student discount and VAT as it's a great way to save if you're a business owner that's studying.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
No idea I'm afraid!

My OP quotes section 2.8 of the T&Cs. The limit is one desktop AND one mac mini AND one laptop per academic year. For some reason they split the mac mini out seperatley from the other desktops. Academic year is not defined, I'd say a reasonable time in the UK would be 1 Sept - 31 Aug?
Is the discount per store?

ivrimon

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Hi,

Does anyone know if the warranty (without the AppleCare upgrade) is still international? It looks like it is but anything to do with HE seems to be hard to find out for sure. I'd rather have an extra 4GB of RAM than phone support!

Thanks

noshjewman

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I've often wondered this. One thing I have found out is that you must buy in-store or by calling their "business team" as buying via the online store (even the business online store) with or without the student discount won't qualify for a VAT refund when you submit your return.

I don't know why the above would be true. As a VAT registered company you submit your VAT return and you tell HMRC what you owe/what is owed to you. You will get a receipt from Apple whichever method you use to buy your computer, and it will have their VAT number and the amount of VAT paid.

As far as I am aware (and I'm no lawyer!) this can be used to claim back VAT.

Remember - if you're a small business with a turnover under £160k, you should probably be on the flat rate scheme, in which case you would need to pay over £2000 to claim back VAT. So get an iPad as well!

Gibbyice

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Scotland, U.K
Hi,

Does anyone know if the warranty (without the AppleCare upgrade) is still international? It looks like it is but anything to do with HE seems to be hard to find out for sure. I'd rather have an extra 4GB of RAM than phone support!

Thanks

My AppleCare Protection Plan Certificate for the Higher Education National Contract

states that I am entitled to 3 years support/Apple Applications Support
3 years Hardware Warranty
3 Years Global Coverage

there is small print however not bad, all I had to do was order my mac through the online education store in my case through the Open University I got my discount plus the extended warranty for free :)

ivrimon

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
My AppleCare Protection Plan Certificate for the Higher Education National Contract

states that I am entitled to 3 years support/Apple Applications Support
3 years Hardware Warranty
3 Years Global Coverage

there is small print however not bad, all I had to do was order my mac through the online education store in my case through the Open University I got my discount plus the extended warranty for free :)

Thanks for answering. Did you get the AppleCare uplift? It looks like you need that for a global warranty (I'm thinking of doing a PhD abroad so it would be useful to have).

SerefAFC

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Higher Education Students IN STORE

The main point to realise here is that the HE Contract does not apply. Please be clear on this- Apple are under a contractual obligation to offer discounts online/over the phone but not in store. In store discounts are down to Apple's own policy which could change. An ID card, registration letter or something like that should be fine to buy in store.

Currently, Apple appear to be happy to give ~15% off to students in store. Sometimes you have to remind them or clarify that you are a uni student not a school student etc but from what I know from people on this board and people I know in the real world (;)) 15% is available- just be patient as the system is confusing and not all Apple staff will know the difference between a uni/college/school student straight off. People can usually get Applecare for ~£50 as well, but again you may need to be patient and explain.

To be crystal clear- the 3 year warranty is not available as standard in store! (One of my friend's was told it was and had to correct the salesman. As an aside be wary of going "Ah ha- you said it was so that is binding", it isn't that simple, but I won't go into that now).

Summary

If you are an FE student see if Apple has an agreement, but if not go for the normal discount.

If you are an HE student and you want Applecare you can buy in store or online/phone (just double check the correct discount has been applied).

If you are a HE student and you think the standard 3 year basic warranty is enough buy online/phone. Not in store. All students I know received an email about 90 days later saying the extended warranty is now in effect (all Macs come with 90 days phone support, so I guess they tell you then to be clear your one year phone support is in effect).

If anything is incorrect please let me know! But I hope this helps and it stops some HE students needlessly buying Applecare.

I think this is quite an important issue with much confusion (just see how many times I have posted on the subject!). If moderators agree, any chance of making this a sticky?

HEY, so i go Uni and want to buy the new imac when it is available. I am going to buy in store because it is more convenient. So all i take is my Student ID. and i get the 15% off or whatever. Do i get the extended 3 years warranty too?

SerefAFC

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
sorry can you just clarify, do i get the 3 years basic warranty in store or is it just online?

Brradley

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Hello!

I was wondering you guys could help me. I want to buy a MacBook Pro in the back to school period - so I'll have to wait until June?! As I want to get the newest one that is released before uni and the £70 App Store would be nice if they offer it this time around.

Thing is I'll have a conditional offer rather than being a current student - I've found the link of the uni's apple he agreement store, would it be better to buy through this or over the phone just to be safe?! Do you reckon they would check, as I'd be paying with my own card and having it shipped to my own address at home?

Thanks for any replies.

SerefAFC

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Hey was wondering what the discount was on software in store? I am going to uni and gonna get microsft office 2010

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
This was a very useful post, thanks a lot!

Guess I won't be buying AppleCare then.

This just means I can take it to a Genius and they'll give me the same stuff as with AppleCare? Literally all I miss is being able to phone them?

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
It's worth noting: you don't need to be a teacher/academic staff. Most college/university staff can get education discount.

I run the digital media systems for a big college (online video, online learning materials etc.) and I've always been able to get discount in-store and online by showing my college ID badge or sending a scan of my payslip.

I haven't bought a Mac this way, but I have bought a few AirPorts (my home has thick walls and is a stupid shape), a boxed copy of iLife, and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.