Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Not sure if this has been asked before or not but, since iMessages is universal between iDevices and Macs, do you guys think that it will eventually got to the Windows side? Or do you guys think that it will be a strictly Apple application?

shervinvan

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Not sure if this has been asked before or not but, since iMessages is universal between iDevices and Macs, do you guys think that it will eventually got to the Windows side? Or do you guys think that it will be a strictly Apple application?

strictly apple:apple: maybe down the road something similar might pop up on windows (3rd party app) but almost guarantee you wont see iMessage in windows...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Nope.

It'll be like FaceTime, except I'm fairly certain that Apple told us that FaceTime was going to be an open standard.

TOOFY

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Long Awhlandddd, NY
This would be very helpful as my job only deploys HP PC's and i text all day to my friends and whatnot from my phone. I think they will consider it if enough people reach out interest to it. Just as they did with Safari on windows.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I would have to say, NO. Apple doesn't usually make their apps available for Windows (With the exception of Safari and iTunes, the latter no longer supports Windows) So you will have to use your iDevice (Or you could always persuade your boss to switch to Apple) :)

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I would have to say, NO. Apple doesn't usually make their apps available for Windows (With the exception of Safari and iTunes, the latter no longer supports Windows) So you will have to use your iDevice (Or you could always persuade your boss to switch to Apple) :)

iTunes doesn't support Windows? I could swear I have it on my Boot Camp partition...

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
iTunes doesn't support Windows? I could swear I have it on my Boot Camp partition...

Safari doesn't support Windows anymore. iTunes does, and I guess it will continue supporting it because it is vital for the survival of iOS devices (which, by turn, are more important to Apple than Macs).

As for iMessage, there is no version for Windows, unfortunately.

Is there any version of Whatsapp for Windows and/or Mac?

People might well use Skype instead, as there are versions for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android...

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Safari doesn't support Windows anymore. iTunes does, and I guess it will continue supporting it because it is vital for the survival of iOS devices (which, by turn, are more important to Apple than Macs).

As for iMessage, there is no version for Windows, unfortunately.

Is there any version of Whatsapp for Windows and/or Mac?

People might well use Skype instead, as there are versions for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android...

The poster I quoted said 'the latter' which would refer to iTunes, hence the confusion.

ryan987

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
iMessage for Windows - open-source program

Hi all !!

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of or downloaded:

http://imessageforwindows.com/

It looks totally legit, but I'm paranoid that it's just spyware/ad-ware. But, then again, it is "open-source program by Jim Anderson" - according to the website.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks !!!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Given that the screenshots are all of Mac Messages, and the download is through one of the sketchy download sites that requires surveys or to pay for a download, this seems more than a little like malware. I won't be testing it.

ryan987

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
damn... that was fast !

Thanks guys. You confirmed what I was thinking.

Too bad though. I don't understand why apple won't make iMessage for Windows. They made iTunes for Windows ! lol

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
If it's open source, it should be possible to check the source to make sure it's not malware. Where's the source, though?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I dont understand why people answer with "its fake" when they havent tested it^^ The survey was totally worth it
We're saying it's fake because there are no real screen shots of the application- everything on the website are Mac Messages screen captures overlaid into Windows, and even the Youtube demo video shows nothing more than the website. Odds are that this is a mechanism to steal Apple IDs and passwords, and that you registered specifically to address this application is no evidence to the contrary.

----------

If it's open source, it should be possible to check the source to make sure it's not malware. Where's the source, though?
It's just some social engineering to make people think it's legit, obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasta007

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Not legit

I would say NOT LEGIT. Even the domain info is all private...

=-=-=-=

Registration Service Provided By: Namecheap.com
Visit: http://namecheap.com

Domain name: IMESSAGEFORWINDOWS.COM

Registrant Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected ()

Fax:
11400 W. Olympic Blvd. Suite 200
Los Angeles, CA 90064
US

Administrative Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected (bcd53c31884f4863a20b089e9cdcfd88.protect@whoisguard.com)
+1.6613102107
Fax: +1.6613102107
Los Angeles, CA 90064
US

Technical Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected (bcd53c31884f4863a20b089e9cdcfd88.protect@whoisguard.com)
+1.6613102107
Fax: +1.6613102107
Los Angeles, CA 90064
US

Name Servers:
ns7.vmbox.co
ns8.vmbox.co

Creation date: 14 Nov 2012 18:04:00
Expiration date: 14 Nov 2013 10:04:00

=-=-=-=

Rasta007

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
So...

So with that said above, and no real testing, the app could be capturing your Apple ID and Password for really BAD reasons.. As it was mentioned above, if it was open source, that info would be available on their site.

Also given the fact that they are using a well known download provider who specializes in allowing illegal downloads, I would say this app is totally worthless and can cause you problems if you use it. No one, who creates a unique app like this would hide their domain credentials. Other businesses would use that info to make them offers or partners to expand such a new and ONLY app of its kind.

I would highly suggest leaving it alone.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
iMessageforwindows

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question - running bootcamp on my MBP for work related purposes (managing an Active Directory domain...) and would like to run iMessage on the Windows partition. I realise I could just run Windows in Parallels, but I'm not going to for the time being.

After a few seconds on Google, I've come across this:

http://www.imessageforwindows.com

Now, it totally stinks of a scam to me, download not available until you've completed a survey, screenshot of it is just the standard OSX iMessage interface wrapped in Aero.

Anyone actually got it or got the source code for it (according to the site, it's open source!!!)?

Cheers,
Nick

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Now, it totally stinks of a scam to me, download not available until you've completed a survey, screenshot of it is just the standard OSX iMessage interface wrapped in Aero.
It's an obvious scam. It's been discussed here before; all of the screen shots are of the Mac Messages app Photoshopped into Windows.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Just use the latest AOL Messenger program on Windows and tell your contacts that use Mac to use their Messages Preferences to use AIM also.

That's a real solution to iMessage support in Windows.. NOT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.