Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Oops I posted this as a reply rather than a new thread.

I'm hoping to get my iPhone 5 replaced, however my friend has told me if I go into the store (UK) they will give me a refurbished phone rather than a brand new one, but if I send it off I'll get a brand new one.

Is this true?

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Oops I posted this as a reply rather than a new thread.

I'm hoping to get my iPhone 5 replaced, however my friend has told me if I go into the store (UK) they will give me a refurbished phone rather than a brand new one, but if I send it off I'll get a brand new one.

Is this true?
Its too early for refurbished iPhone 5's yet from what I have read on this forum.

Even if you do get a refurbished iPhone you will not be able to tell the different between a new and refurbished. Its practically new, has a new case, screen etc, etc.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Its too early for refurbished iPhone 5's yet from what I have read on this forum.

Even if you do get a refurbished iPhone you will not be able to tell the different between a new and refurbished. Its practically new, has a new case, screen etc, etc.

You're not quite right I think. It's "late" enough in the product's life so that refurbs are floating around, but majority of them are still new devices.

You will not be able to tell the difference between a refurbished and new apple product.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
You're not quite right I think. It's "late" enough in the product's life so that refurbs are floating around, but majority of them are still new devices.

You will not be able to tell the difference between a refurbished and new apple product.

So what is refurbished then? Are there *any* disadvantages to them?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
So what is refurbished then? Are there *any* disadvantages to them?

Outside is completely new, only internals have been 'used'. If an internal had gone wrong, it would be repaired and tested.

It's a win win, Apple get to use the broken phones and we get cheap/free replacements.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Outside is completely new, only internals have been 'used'. If an internal had gone wrong, it would be repaired and tested.

It's a win win, Apple get to use the broken phones and we get cheap/free replacements.

Hmm. I suppose I shouldn't turn my nose up at it - only when I'm paying £700 for a phone (intending to keep it for about 4 years) then I expect it to work, and expect a new phone if it doesn't. I might sound a bit.. picky but that's what I'd expect.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hmm. I suppose I shouldn't turn my nose up at it - only when I'm paying £700 for a phone (intending to keep it for about 4 years) then I expect it to work, and expect a new phone if it doesn't. I might sound a bit.. picky but that's what I'd expect.

Essentially though, it is new isn't it? Brand new exterior, fully tested internals. In some ways, it's better than new as most components are confirmed working.

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
I have had mine replaced in the UK by Apple direct, it involved a courier swap. The replacement came in a slim white box with no accessories except for the sim slot key.

It was exactly as new, plastic covers front and back and setup as a new phone, you cannot tell the difference. Looking on line the one that got sent back was from week 39 production and the replacement was from week 37.

You really cannot know if it is refurb or new, I suspect this one is a refurb because of the week of production.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012

Apples not meeting the demand so I highly doubt there's refurbs floating around just yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.