Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Service

New 1012 iMacs will be "serviceable" by the Apple Tech Staff so that your warranty / AppleCare is not voided.

6 months ago I was going to buy a new iMac, whenever they came out.

At this point, given the redesign and likely un-servicable nature of the new design, I might as well wait for whatever they do to the Mac Pros...

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Ripper

Get an external Thunderbolt CD ROM / DVD / CDR / DVDR drive then...

Yes, I actually rip music from CD's, Apple lossless is the only way to listen to real music...

----------

New faster line of Intel CPUs will be available 2013 Summer, so that is probably when the MPTowers will be available...

I get the feeling that Apple are secretly hoping that 2012 really will be the end of the world so they will finally be off this particular hook.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Not true, I was going to purchase this model, but lower HD speed same 512 of Vram means this is not for me, I can't blindly keep throwing money at Apple, Thats my moto, for some hey they can and good luck to them.

I prefer to be prudent and i do heavy work with the machine, NOt Facebook and twitter.

Edit: Also people use their computer from the front, you will see the thinness when you need to plug in the SD card which is now at the back of the machine, WhatApple does goes I suppose, Know one is allowed an opinion in here.

Loving it mate! That's twice in a row you've accused others of only wanting the new machine for facebook and twitter, but not you... you need it for heavy lifting. Dammit! You're the one who needs it, but those others are just going to waste it on those social media apps.

Come on, you can do better than that. Express your opinion, but don't do it in a snarky way otherwise you just look like a spoilt brat.

I disagree with you about the design. I love the direction they have gone with it. BUT, Nobody has one of the bluddy things, so none of us can be sure if this is a huge step forward or a misstep. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
What I know about Apple is;

A/ They deliver good quality products. Very good quality products that just work.

Except when the don't work, and you have to take them back again and again which leads us on too...
B/ If they get it wrong it usually gets fixed.

Eventually, after they deny any fault for years and try and up sell you new models or out of warranty/apple care repairs as the only solution to a fault they "know nothing about" despite 10s of thousands of people world wide complaining about the issue... Usually it doesn't get fixed until the class action suit is about to go live.

C/ I only left PC's 3 years ago and my experience there was lower quality products, and hard to get someone to own up for warranty work.

Other than the case (machined aluminium is very nice) the innards are worse in many respects to most PCs,

Macs are like owning a standard runabout but with the body kit of a supercar no performance gain all show, but you cant replace the tyres or refill the fuel tank your self, so if you run out of fuel or get a puncture your out of luck unless you go back to the manufacturer who will try and sell you a new car, everyone else however gets to change the wiper blades, refuel anywhere, change the CD player, heck, even swap out oil or spark plugs if you wanted too.

Having been an Apple customer for 3 years I can't see a single reason to go back to the PC side or a reason to join the "Sky is Falling... Apple is Failing" Brigade. Life with Apple is good!

Life with apple is good, but only for the OS, the hardware is mediocre at best once you strip away the shiny case designed to wow the idiots

Saying that i love my early08-pre-unibody Macbook Pro, which i have replaced the fans on, put in duel SSDs, (binned the optical drive because i never use it) and my mid 2011 iMac 21.5 (i wish they would put a better video card in the 21.5 inch iMacs, i was hoping we would get 1GB 67x at least as an option)

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Not true, I was going to purchase this model, but lower HD speed same 512 of Vram means this is not for me, I can't blindly keep throwing money at Apple, Thats my moto, for some hey they can and good luck to them.

I prefer to be prudent and i do heavy work with the machine, NOt Facebook and twitter.

Edit: Also people use their computer from the front, you will see the thinness when you need to plug in the SD card which is now at the back of the machine, WhatApple does goes I suppose, Know one is allowed an opinion in here.

Exactly my feelings, they are driving the iMac to be an unusable artwork installation rather than a usable computing device, perhaps if they got off this "thinner and lighter" as the MAIN feature and instead gave us, say, an access door for RAM, and an access door to install an SSD and enough VRAM to handle the screen resolutions comfortable (Seriously 1GB for 1080p should be standard), im happy with the 2011 iMacs thickness, i don't need an inch thinner, im not using it to butter toast or slice bread, i want to use it as a computer, and do the things on it i do on a computer.

Now given that iMacs are in fact just large laptops, it still amazes me that the Macbook Pros are a better spec than the desktops ...more proof apple is trying to kill its desktop line ?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Oh, it's really tough choice.. Lots of things to consider..

I would buy almost ANYTHING before i bought a Wii U...

Seriously, the Wii wiggle mote was a junky gimmick for me, as is the Kinnect and the PS Move.

I understand that old People and young kids find them easy to use, but those people wont find the iPad mated with a snes controller as intuitive, and i for one don't want to need to keep glancing down to do stuff on a second screen,

Think ill wait for the True next gen consoles, not this "late to the party" HD console from Nintendo (For me this gen was defined by the move to HD, so Xbox 360, PS3 and now Wii U, the Wii was a throwback to the PS2/xbox/Gamecube era)

I still don't understand why apple doesn't make the Apple TV a games console

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
The screen's a bit faulty (it flickers purple every few days).

Also, it's stuck on OS X Tiger (10.4.11) which means Flash Player 10 on Safari 4, which means none of the videos on the BBC News website work, as they require Flash Player 11, etc. etc.

Compatibility with modern site content, basically.

I'm sorry, I read your reply to another poster too late. You answered this question already. Just get her a non-Apple. Really, it is the only choice I see. The 21 inch comes at a good price (especially in the USA) and as you surely see, she doesn't need even a quarter of that computer's power. As long as it stays in good repair, it may last a lifetime of her usage.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012

Seriously, the Wii wiggle mote was a junky gimmick for me, as is the Kinnect and the PS Move.

I understand that old People and young kids find them easy to use, but those people wont find the iPad mated with a snes controller as intuitive, and i for one don't want to need to keep glancing down to do stuff on a second screen,

Think ill wait for the True next gen consoles, not this "late to the party" HD console from Nintendo (For me this gen was defined by the move to HD, so Xbox 360, PS3 and now Wii U, the Wii was a throwback to the PS2/xbox/Gamecube era)

My post was nothing but sarcastic, dude =)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

1. WiiU is the first next gen console and the Wii was part of the Xbox 360 and PS3 era. The Wii chose to use fun and a unique (and good) control system whereas the others chose HD. And it was a success for the most part. The others need to find something to beat the WiiU now.

2. Apple did make a TV games console.

ELT200708090328545036853.JPG

And this console was a piece of garbage. Apple should stay away from dedicatedc gaming consoles. Just let others make games for what hardware Apple already puts out.

3. Many people have dual monitor computer setups. And they love them. Will the 2 screen WiiU thing work well? Tough to say. I reckon the Wii's controller was a stroke of genius. And the WiiU's one is just more complicated. But I reckon with time people will get used to it.

4. People understand what a gameboy or a Nintendo DS is. The WiiU controller is just like that. It's not as foreign to the users as you would like to think.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
1. WiiU is the first next gen console and the Wii was part of the Xbox 360 and PS3 era.

2. Apple did make a TV games console.

1, the Wii was SD, running modified gamecube hardware, its was a late comer to the party, a Gamecube + if you will, to the Xbox, PS2 , Dreamcast, Gamecube era,

And the Wii U is the last to the party for this Xbox 360 and PS3 era, its on par with them, it will be surpassed by the next gen consoles almost immediately as the Wii was (Xbox "3" and PS4 arriving shortly) and the gimmicky 2nd screen and the 1000th iteration of mario, zelda and starfox will be the only thing to sell it to die hard nintendo fans.

A 2nd screen or even 3rd screen for a PC gaming setup expands the view area, a 2nd screen on your lap doesn't, it distracts, it makes you have to look away and re-focus attention, not fun, one of the reasons no one bothered to use the feature when the PSP and PS3 rolled it out years ago.

Apple TV + a decent remote could easily be a cheap console, to compete directly with the market Nintendo are going after , the causal gamers who want gimmicks rather than decent games

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Love Apple products just like many of you, but its sad people can't express their views on a forum, it seems if you are not a fanboy/iSheep you get a beat down in here.

How can anyone justify a price increase (in the uk at least) on the NEW iMacs but with lesser components in it than the previous years HD.NO OPTICAL ETC.

I like to be prudent and get 'value for my money' although i know I have to pay a premium for design. I will not blindly give money away to Apple sorry if I don't share your view, and I will openly challenge things I feel are not right, so deal with it, Its not "trolling" is about having an opinion

Not really, many people actually disagree and kinda despise the new design and philosophy behind the new iMac. Only one or two stand behind :apple: for whatever it sells, they're obviously the most vocal and would bully your opinion for anything cons with Apple, but certainly not the majority, nor adult ones, like mentally ;)

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
Except when the don't work, and you have to take them back again and again which leads us on too...

Eventually, after they deny any fault for years and try and up sell you new models or out of warranty/apple care repairs as the only solution to a fault they "know nothing about" despite 10s of thousands of people world wide complaining about the issue... Usually it doesn't get fixed until the class action suit is about to go live.

Other than the case (machined aluminium is very nice) the innards are worse in many respects to most PCs,

Macs are like owning a standard runabout but with the body kit of a supercar no performance gain all show, but you cant replace the tyres or refill the fuel tank your self, so if you run out of fuel or get a puncture your out of luck unless you go back to the manufacturer who will try and sell you a new car, everyone else however gets to change the wiper blades, refuel anywhere, change the CD player, heck, even swap out oil or spark plugs if you wanted too.

Life with apple is good, but only for the OS, the hardware is mediocre at best once you strip away the shiny case designed to wow the idiots

Saying that i love my early08-pre-unibody Macbook Pro, which i have replaced the fans on, put in duel SSDs, (binned the optical drive because i never use it) and my mid 2011 iMac 21.5 (i wish they would put a better video card in the 21.5 inch iMacs, i was hoping we would get 1GB 67x at least as an option)

just because you think it's crap, doesn't mean it is crap, and apple just won another customer satisfaction award so they can't be that bad....wondering if you have previously had a bad experience that you have had that big a rant?:confused:

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
I love how the new Mac is 9 lbs lighter more than the fact that it's thinner. But I, like many other people, don't like that they removed the optical drive though. Yes, you can easily buy the Superdrive (which I did for my MB Air & have since returned the Superdrive) but have you seen how slow it rips cds compared to the drive in a 2011 iMac? Anyways to any new iMac owners this Nov. 30, I'm thrilled for ya but consider some other type of drive.

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Sure with media densities the same the 7200 is faster.

And that's the point. Apple isn't going to put in a three year old 7200RPM drive they are going to put in a new one so this ridiculous thing a few of you are doing where you compare an old 7200 drive to a new, denser, 5400 drive is kinda silly.

It be like me talking about new cars and their engines and you say, "Yeah, well a 1950's engine may be bigger but it puts out less horse power." Duh. No one is arguing that.

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
uradum

That's complete rubbish! ANY modern HDD drive no matter 5200/5400/5900 or 7200 has read/write speeds of 100-120MB/s to 55-60MB/s (from the center of the disc to its edge) and almost identical response times. 5400 HDD could be notably slower only if it laid in your 2006-2007 laptop. Don't even try to doubt that.

It's nice that you can make up things in your head without any evidence and think they are real. I on the other hand have actual experience.

Re-read the thread and realise you're wrong. There're lots of "why-not-the-desktop-graphics" whiners. Are they aware of the simple fact I stated? Really? =)

You seem to be straw manning the argument. There is not a soul alive on this thread that doesn't understand that a discret GPU costs more and that desktop level GPUs are more expensive. When they say, "Why not a desktop GPU?" it has nothing to do with cost but everything to do with performance. No one expects Apple to put in a more powerful GPU for the same price.

Nah, one more "I'm such a pro" guy.. [sic]

I actually am a pro; as in I get paid to create. It's my fulltime job. It even says so on my business card.

If you're doing video editing, composing and graphics design work - just BUY THE 27 MODEL. Did you know it fits your needs much better? And yes, that IS the simplest fact ever.

More straw manning. Who said I was buying a 21.5"? I certainly never did. You should really stop trying to force people to answer your made up arguments and just address their real ones.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
It's nice that you can make up things in your head without any evidence and think they are real. I on the other hand have actual experience. but no evidence.;)

I actually am a pro; as in I get paid to create. It's my fulltime job. It even says so on my business card..

So what is it you actually do then? If you are going to come out with quips like that then back it up:)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'm confused. Is this a thread about the "Wii U" or is this a thread about how to get "thin"?

MisterBigMack

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
I wonder - when Apple will discontinue the add on optical drive - I think it will be a long long time - I bet they sell a load of these

In my case - I have an iMac with superdrive, and tbh I only used to get my audio cds onto iTunes - apart from that, never use it!

But the mainstream still would need use for it I would suspect

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I just called Apple business sales to check after seeing the locked thread in the iMac section. I was just told by a rep that they were told the 27" wouldn't be available to order until December, so they don't expect to be able to take orders for them tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.