Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
I was loving how thin and light the iPad mini is. I love the size as well. I wanted to ask, if you have used both, is there anything ill miss that I won't get with the iPad mini. Is the retina display that huge of a difference?

jmthigpen

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Charleston, SC
text will be smaller and not as easy on the eyes, you will most likely need to zoom in more often, also the iPad mini has half the ram as the iPad 3 so tabs will refresh more often in safari and less applications will be able to sit idle in memory.

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
So should I or should I not. I usually have around 5-6 apps open at a time with most being in class and other note taking apps, Bloomberg. Basic games, real racing (sometimes). Nothing more.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I have a 1,3, and a Mini. To address the font sizes in Safari you can use the hack posted in the forum or just download Mercury or Perfect Browser. I prefer Mercury personally but many like Perfect as well. I honestly haven't had any pages reloading on me. Granted I normally only have 3 to 4 tabs open at a time. Most of the extra ram on the 3 is used to drive the retina screen so performance wise they are close to equal. The 3 is a great ipad as well. I would likely use it for video more than the Mini but the Mini seems to handle video just as well.

The 3 will give you more screen real estate obviously. I would grab the Mini first when I'm headed out of the house, quick browsing, or YouTube because its lighter. They are both fine iPads, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. It really comes down to screen size and retina. If retina is a must have then go with the 3. As for retina vs non retina... The mini looks fine to me but the retina is better of course. You should go compare the screens for yourself and play around with both. That should help you decide.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
So should I or should I not. I usually have around 5-6 apps open at a time with most being in class and other note taking apps, Bloomberg. Basic games, real racing (sometimes). Nothing more.

Do you want some that is about 80% the size of a regular ipad and about half the weight? Performance wise they are pretty similar.

The display is the big difference. Go to a store and compare them based on their displays. If the size and weight doesn't outweigh the lack of retina the the choice is simple.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
The mini is more than capable I think for handling your needs. It just comes down to screen size, which I dont think is that huge of a difference.

Curios why some people have 3 and 4 iPads here. Unless they are just listing the iPads in their households its very peculiar to have so many devices that do the same thing.... I could understand a regular iPad and a mini (even then its a little excessive, but understandable)

I'm just curious because I never felt the need for even 1 iPad with an iPhone and a macbook.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Many people have multiple family members in the house that get the older devices passed down to them as they upgrade. The iPad is mostly a personal device that doesn't lend itself to sharing since you can't set up multiple accounts on them.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Thanks guys! I'm going for the mini!

I think you'll be happy with it very much so. I had a iPad 3 and after a few days with the mini I handed my iPad 3 over to my mother who was more than pleased to have it , and I was really happy that it was so portable and light that I can take it with me and not feel like i am lugging something around with me.

mrstefani

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Macomb, Michigan
Many people have multiple family members in the house that get the older devices passed down to them as they upgrade. The iPad is mostly a personal device that doesn't lend itself to sharing since you can't set up multiple accounts on them.

My daughter has benefitted from this as well. I have passed down to her an iPhone, Macbook Air and iPad. I like to upgrade whenever possible if the upgrade is worth it in my opinion and my daughter is the lucky one in the family who usually gets the goods.

I only wish when I was younger there was amazing technology as there is today and someone passed down their devices to me!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.