Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emkay88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Mountain View
Okay, this might sound strange but I have a confusing problem.

Since I'm new in the USA, I couldn't get AT&T or Verizon to give me a contract.
Being an Apple fan and wanting to get my hands on the iPhone 5 the first day, I decided to buy the phone for $749 - On Verizon but no contract - not activated.

The rep asked me to try getting a Verizon prepaid and getting it activated on the phone. I already have a T-Mobile prepaid that works on a Samsung Galaxy phone. I'm trying to see if I can get the T-Mobile sim (not nano) to work on the iPhone, hearing all the "unlocked" stories.

If not, what's the best possible way out?

- Can I get a Verizon prepaid (without buying a new phone, just the SIM) and get it activated on the new phone?
- Should I return the iPhone and wait for unlocked ones to be out?
- Should I sell off the phone to someone else out side US may be?

:((

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina

Being an Apple fan and wanting to get my hands on the iPhone 5 the first day, I decided to buy the phone for $749 - On Verizon but no contract - not activated.

The rep asked me to try getting a Verizon prepaid and getting it activated on the phone. I already have a T-Mobile prepaid that works on a Samsung Galaxy phone. I'm trying to see if I can get the T-Mobile sim (not nano) to work on the iPhone, hearing all the "unlocked" stories.

- Can I get a Verizon prepaid (without buying a new phone, just the SIM) and get it activated on the new phone?

You can attempt to cut down the SIM there have been some reports of it working. I think tmobile is suppose to get in nano sims sometime next month.

imeth

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011

wait and used it as a wifi device for 30 days than return once the factory unlocked comes out so you won't have any issues or worry about these steps

faresb

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
Hi, did you figure out a solution yet? I thought the Verizon phones come unlocked... I'm not sure they use the same LTE bands as AT&T and other US operators, so the phone may not support LTE but 3G should work.

How were you able to buy an iPhone 5 without a contract though? I thought Apple was only selling them with contracts at the moment. Did you buy it from Apple or directy from Verizon?

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
All stores will sell them with or without contract - it's just that Best Buy, Radio Shack and carriers add $50 (in BB, RS ..) or more (in Sprint's case when I called) for each unsubsidized model. You'll save $50 with Apple Store.

With or without contract, the Verizon iP5 is unlock, AT&T iP5 is unlock without contract.

Dramas

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Brooklyn, New York
I was thinking of going to the Apple Store next week to get the new iPhone. I understand the Verizon iPhone is unlocked.

As for the nano SIM card, there are videos on youtube showing you how to cut the SIM card.

But how would you activate the iPhone without a Verizon plan? I'm sorry, I've never had an iPhone before so I'm not sure how this activation process works.

homerun360

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Verizon phones are incompatible with Tmobile's network. Verizon uses CDMA technology and Tmobile uses GSM.

kilj0y

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
Verizon phones are incompatible with Tmobile's network. Verizon uses CDMA technology and Tmobile uses GSM.

Please stop spreading misinformation, the new iPhone for VZW has GSM and CDMA in it and it has been proven to work with AT&T on HSPA+ so it will work on T-Mo as well, as far as activating it not sure, maybe have the vzw store activate it for you then, take out the sim and then put the TMo sim in?

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
All stores will sell them with or without contract - it's just that Best Buy, Radio Shack and carriers add $50 (in BB, RS ..) or more (in Sprint's case when I called) for each unsubsidized model. You'll save $50 with Apple Store.

With or without contract, the Verizon iP5 is unlock, AT&T iP5 is unlock without contract.

Bestbuy price matches most people don't bother asking.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Bestbuy price matches most people don't bother asking.

They will price match if competitor has stock available of the same model & color (they pulled this stunt / double check with competitor on me as everyone is sold out or about the same price and there's no Apple Store in the area).

I don't really like the 32GB on Sprint so for that price, I walked away and will wait for the exact model, color and carrier. :D

Dramas

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Brooklyn, New York
I don't know if I should purchase the AT&T iPhone or the Verizon one. I heard that both are unlock if you purchase the phone full price. Which phone is more compatible with T-mobile?

artim808

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Please help me how to activate Verizon iPhone 5 Purchased without contract in Europe? I purchase it in USA and I need activate it in Europe. Thanks

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Please stop spreading misinformation, the new iPhone for VZW has GSM and CDMA in it and it has been proven to work with AT&T on HSPA+ so it will work on T-Mo as well, as far as activating it not sure, maybe have the vzw store activate it for you then, take out the sim and then put the TMo sim in?

Well problem is T-Mobile doesnt have nano sim yet. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...nano-sim-cards-for-unlocked-iphone-5s-report/

So when t-mobile has the nano sims avail, just pop it in and a T-mobile sim will work in a VZW iphone 5 given that you are in a city that has T-Mobile HSPA+ otherwise you will get edge only until t-mobile finishes it's 1900mhz HSPA+ rollout.

Robbkt

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I am now in USA in sunday I go to europe

If you have already your nano sim or you sim cutted, go into an apple store insert your sim into the iPhone, turn on it and use the apple store wifi to activate the phone

sangreal06

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Verizon is CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM. I don't think it will work. I brought in an unlocked 4 from Apple and the first thing t-Mobile asked me if it was 'unlocked'; unlocked meaning from Apple not from another carrier.

Verizon iPhone 5s are unlocked, and support both CDMA and GSM.

Sixth Street

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Anyone looking to use the phone on tmobile should buy the ATT version because it will be compatible with tmobile's LTE network when that comes out (probably late 2013), in addition to the HSPA+ when the refarm is complete. The Verizon version will never be able to use LTE. As far as unlocked or not, you can get one on ebay for about $8 so it's hardly a deal breaker.

artim808

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
If you have already your nano sim or you sim cutted, go into an apple store insert your sim into the iPhone, turn on it and use the apple store wifi to activate the phone

Thanks. It is possible also activate in Europe? Or only in US apple store? I have a two iPhones and one is a gift.

mustahaque

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Thanks. It is possible also activate in Europe? Or only in US apple store? I have a two iPhones and one is a gift.

Hi,
I am in a similar situation. I am planning on buying the iPhone from Verizon. Can you activate the Verizon iPhone from Europe with out a Verizon service? With a european SIM?
Were you able to activate the phone without being on verizon's network?
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.