Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I hope I have done the right thing and would appreciate any thought regarding this matter!

When the new imac was announced in October I decided that the 2011 model was more suitable for my needs. So ordered one from an online retailer and was promised delivery 7 days later. But the order was put back a further 2 weeks until I was finally advised that it was out of stock!
I wasn't vey happy to say the least. So thought that I would just have to sit it out like quite a few people on here and await the arrival of the new one in November!

Today I visited the site I placed my original order with a lo and behold there was this listed:

http://www.very.co.uk/apple-imac-mc...1141692472.prd?browseToken=/b/4294958003,4877

Now i realise that the new 2012 model will be available from this Friday. But there were just certain things about the 2011 model that I needed over the new one. I.e the optical drive and the ability to upgrade the ram if need be!
My current windows pc is nearly 10 years old now. Has puny ram and only a 500mb hardrive. I will not be playing games. And will only be using it for web surfing, a bit of photo editing and my music collection of approx 7000 songs. Nothing serious.
I was just fed up with the whole windows experience of continuous updates, scans that bog everything down. Viruses and stuff running in the background that slowed everything down!
Also I'm 57 yrs old and pretty comp illiterate so just want something easy to use. I do own an iad3 and iPhone 4S and get on very well with them!

Anyway. To cut a long story short I realise I have paid the same price as the upcoming new imac. But the management are considering reverting the price back to the original order price of £999 because of all the trouble I have had!!

Have I done the right thing!!?!!

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
I hope I have done the right thing and would appreciate any thought regarding this matter!

When the new imac was announced in October I decided that the 2011 model was more suitable for my needs. So ordered one from an online retailer and was promised delivery 7 days later. But the order was put back a further 2 weeks until I was finally advised that it was out of stock!
I wasn't vey happy to say the least. So thought that I would just have to sit it out like quite a few people on here and await the arrival of the new one in November!

Today I visited the site I placed my original order with a lo and behold there was this listed:

http://www.very.co.uk/apple-imac-mc...1141692472.prd?browseToken=/b/4294958003,4877

Now i realise that the new 2012 model will be available from this Friday. But there were just certain things about the 2011 model that I needed over the new one. I.e the optical drive and the ability to upgrade the ram if need be!
My current windows pc is nearly 10 years old now. Has puny ram and only a 500mb hardrive. I will not be playing games. And will only be using it for web surfing, a bit of photo editing and my music collection of approx 7000 songs. Nothing serious.
I was just fed up with the whole windows experience of continuous updates, scans that bog everything down. Viruses and stuff running in the background that slowed everything down!
Also I'm 57 yrs old and pretty comp illiterate so just want something easy to use. I do own an iad3 and iPhone 4S and get on very well with them!

Anyway. To cut a long story short I realise I have paid the same price as the upcoming new imac. But the management are considering reverting the price back to the original order price of £999 because of all the trouble I have had!!

I just bought almost the same iMac for my father. He just can't see himself without a DVD drive, and does not like the external drive. And he has a point: why buy a computer where everything is wireless and than buy a silly dongle-like contraption wired to your iMac for the DVDs? So in my opinion you did the right thing!

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
The 2011 model will do you great - just dont pay retail for it. You should be able to get a discount because it is a previous model. If that is the case - go for it. Enjoy!

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
No. I would not buy that thing for that price. You get better computer with same price (new base line 21.5, 2012 mac). Cancel your deal if you can !

If you are worried about the cd/dvd-drive, external costs only about 20-50 dollars. Remember, the 21.5 model you cannot add RAM after afterwards.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Difficult - for about the same price you get a newer model with twice the hard disk and twice the memory. But, you'd have to factor in the cost of an external DVD drive and MS Office if you wanted it. If they dropped the price by a £100, it might be worth it, but I don't think it would tempt me.

HBen

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
No. I would not buy that thing for that price. You get better computer with same price (new base line 21.5, 2012 mac). Cancel your deal if you can !

If you are worried about the cd/dvd-drive, it costs only about 20-50 dollars. Remember, the 21.5 model you cannot add RAM after afterwards.

+1
external drive is not a big deal tbh and u only take it out when u need it.
What your doing seems mad especially for that price!!!!

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
I think you've done it right, the new iMac does not fit the needs for everybody, specially if you need to upgrade RAM easily or you want an optical drive

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for your comments so far!

I am going to keep the order open until management contact me as regards reducing the price!
But I agree totally with what jjhoekstra says regarding the optical drive. And it is very important to me as I have a huge CD/DVD collection. And would have to purchase a separate drive if I bought the 2012 model.
Also the ram and hardrive size is perfectly suitable for my needs!!
I only used 1/2 of my 500 mb in 10 yrs!:eek:

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
+1
external drive is not a big deal tbh and u only take it out when u need it.
What your doing seems mad especially for that price!!!!

Yes not a big deal until Apple says it is. What's meant to be in an all in one?!

If Apple realised on their 2013 Haswell iMac they made a mistake and put it back in wonder what you would say then.

----------

I am going to keep the order open until management contact me as regards reducing the price!
But I agree totally with what jjhoekstra says regarding the optical drive. And it is very important to me as I have a huge CD/DVD collection. And would have to purchase a separate drive if I bought the 2012 model.

1TB is an over kill for most anyway.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

A separate drive is very, very cheap. I think you should get the 2012 model, personally.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...NT1M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1354130357&sr=8-8

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
A separate drive is very, very cheap. I think you should get the 2012 model, personally.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...NT1M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1354130357&sr=8-8

Thanks. And I appreciate how cheap they are to buy separately. But the whole all in one concept of the 2011 model is what attracted me to it in the 1st place!
Personally I really think they got it wrong with the new model in many respects.

Anyway. It looks like they took it down on the Site (unless I got the last one). So going by my previous experience. It may not even materialise at all!!:eek:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Thanks. And I appreciate how cheap they are to buy separately. But the whole all in one concept of the 2011 model is what attracted me to it in the 1st place!
Personally I really think they got it wrong with the new model in many respects.

Anyway. It looks like they took it down on the Site (unless I got the last one). So going by my previous experience. It may not even materialise at all!!:eek:

You can always get a BackPack from TwelveSouth (I have 3)... It's never all-in-one when you plug other stuff in.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Cancel order

I would cancel the order for that price.

I'm going to buy a new 2012 21.5" on friday a BTO

I'm then selling my current 2011 imac to fund the new 2012.

It's a 21.5" with 8GB ram , 1TB HDD, 512MB video card and I3 3.06GHZ. It was top of the range at the time of purchase.

I think i'll get £600 for it...thats £400 cheaper than your deal

It's also got Apple Care with 14 months warranty left.

Personally the very deal is overpriced.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Cancel the order and order a refurbished 2011 from the Apple website. You may need to keep checking as the 2011 refurbs appear to sell very quickly.

HBen

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
Yes not a big deal until Apple says it is. What's meant to be in an all in one?!

If Apple realised on their 2013 Haswell iMac they made a mistake and put it back in wonder what you would say then.

----------------------------

I would still say its no big deal..........I rarely use discs, and it's like £20 for an external one. I think you need to chill out:rolleyes:

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
From a 21.5" baseline perspective I think you'd do better to get the 2011, yes. I had the same quandary and chose the 2011. It was a no brainer for me at least:

-2011 baseline- Has OD and firewire port, can easily upgrade RAM up to 32 GB, has a 7200rpm HD

-2012 baseline- Does not have OD/FW ports, may not be able to (easily or at all) upgrade RAM, has 5400rpm HD. Does have upgraded CPU/GPU and USB 3

The new ones look great for the upper levels perhaps, but I LOVE my 2011 iMac and am glad I got it. I got mine from a reseller and the price was real close to the Apple refurb store+Apple tax. Not sure if that effects your country or not.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Update*

VERY customer services called me today and said the best they could do was offer me £25 discount. Which I thought was a bit insulting to say the least.
But having thought long and hard about and after reading other people's thoughts regarding my dilemma. I have decided to stick with the order. As I mentioned I would need to buy an optical drive no mater how cheap they are. And everything else suits my needs especially the upgradeable ram!
Also if I don't use the included Microsoft office for mac software. I could always sell it. Thereby taking the price down to approx 2011 new price!(which 1 month ago I would have gladly paid having been disappointed with unveiling of new one at conference in October)
Another thing that was worrying me slightly was there could be problems with the 2012 model for whatever reason(why was it delayed.problems with new screen etc) And going by my ipad 3 experience when it was first released. I most certainly do not want to repeat that!!:(

Some people might say I am crackers with the new one being released tomorrow. But I think I will be happy and can live with my decision!

Thanks for everyone's input btw!

Last edited:

Fresh28

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
UGHHHH so tired of people bashing the new (2012) iMacs....blah if you can't afford it, stop bashing on them and just watch the unboxings from your beloved 2011 iMacs.

That is all.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Update*

VERY customer services called me today and said the best they could do was offer me £25 discount. Which I thought was a bit insulting to say the least.
But having thought long and hard about and after reading other people's thoughts regarding my dilemma. I have decided to stick with the order. As I mentioned I would need to buy an optical drive no mater how cheap they are. And everything else suits my needs especially the upgradeable ram!
Also if I don't use the included Microsoft office for mac software. I could always sell it. Thereby taking the price down to approx 2011 new price!(which I month ago I would have gladly paid)
Another thing that was worrying me slightly was there could be problems with the 2012 model for whatever reason(why was it delayed.problems with new screen etc) And going by my ipad 3 experience when it was first released. I most certainly do not want to repeat that!!:(

Some people might say I am crackers with the new one being released tomorrow. But I think I will be happy and can live with my decision!

Thanks for everyone's input btw!

If you can open another Very account there are often discount codes knocking around (not necessarily the 10% off if you open a credit account). It's another way to skim a few pounds off.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
If you can open another Very account there are often discount codes knocking around (not necessarily the 10% off if you open a credit account). It's another way to skim a few pounds off.
Thanks. But I already have a very account.
And I forgot to mention (rather embarrassingly). The only way I could afford one was 0% finance.(which very offer over 12 months) Which may help people understand part of my dilemma!!:eek:

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Thanks. But I already have a very account.
And I forgot to mention (rather embarrassingly). The only way I could afford one was 0% finance.(which very offer over 12 months) Which may help people understand part of my dilemma!!:eek:

Fair enough, the 0% finance, if you need it, would be a deal breaker. Enjoy your iMac, I'm sure it will fulfil all your needs and will fit in nicely with your other Apple products. It's not always necessary to have the latest and greatest and the chips in that iMac are extremely capable and current - in all honesty so many people buy these top of the line iMacs with upgraded CPU's etc and only ever use a low percentage of their "capacity".

Last edited:

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
UGHHHH so tired of people bashing the new (2012) iMacs....blah if you can't afford it, stop bashing on them and just watch the unboxings from your beloved 2011 iMacs.

That is all.
Eerr. I am not in anyway bashing it at all. It will probably be a marvellous piece of kit!

I just happen to prefer the the 2011 spec!

Seems to me you may have something against 2011 machines ( pot, kettle and black spring to mind!)

Fresh28

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Eerr. I am not in anyway bashing it at all. It will probably be a marvellous piece of kit!

I just happen to prefer the the 2011 spec!

Seems to me you may have something against 2011 machines ( pot, kettle and black spring to mind!)

I wasn't singling you out, just in general. The people that bash because they don't want to spend the extra cash, IMO are just pathetic. Let people spend the money that they work hard for the way that they want.

Simple as that. (BTW can't wait to order my 27" tomorrow :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.