Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Hay isn't a metal. We are talking about metal and material use to make smartphones. What does it have to do with Hay?

Aluminum cost a lot more than steel or plastic.

Your Subaru has aluminum hood and roof? Damn, you are going to die when the roof starts to bend.

Actually I should be fine. The pillars are made of a material a lot stronger.....steel.

How about this. Take your cost for a ton of aluminum, do the math and figure out how much 25 grams of it is. That's the back of the iPhone 5 plus more...

XjfiX1qHUkiYMSwK.jpg

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hay isn't a metal. We are talking about metal and material use to make smartphones. What does it have to do with Hay?

Your Subaru has aluminum hood and roof? Damn, you are going to die when the roof starts to bend.

A ton of polycarbonate plastic is about 1500 and a ton of aluminum is about 1900. Not a big difference and the aluminum back is slippery. Your splitting hairs really but you do come off as a fanboy and thats what they do.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Anyone that puts any mobile phone in the front or rear pockets of tight fitting jeans is asking for trouble, I'm surprised that people can't see this, how hard is it to work out that if one exerts pressure from the weight of a body on a phone it will eventually break.

I dont wear super tight pants, but my dress pants I wear with my suit are not exactly loose.

Never had an issue with a phone bending.

People are making excuses, you didn't hear about these problems with other iPhones

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
A ton of polycarbonate plastic is about 1500 and a ton of aluminum is about 1900. Not a big difference and the aluminum back is slippery. Your splitting hairs really but you do come off as a fanboy and thats what they do.

So I'm guessing you prefer plastic laptops over aluminum?

I'll keep my aluminum laptop over crappy plastic pc laptops anyday.

----------

Actually I should be fine. The pillars are made of a material a lot stronger.....steel.

Dude. You are going to die. The pillars might be steel, but your roof is still aluminum. It'll bend and you'll die.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

So I am sure you thought all Mac's were crappie, cheap plastic junk just a few years ago? They just recently stopped making the white plastic shell Mac book. And then there is the crappy plastic Mac Mini and Apple Tv.

Didn't realize Apple made so much junk? :rolleyes:

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
So I am sure you thought all Mac's were crappie, cheap plastic junk just a few years ago? They just recently stopped making the white plastic shell Mac book. And then there is the crappy plastic Mac Mini and Apple Tv.

Yeah 3g and 3gs model were ****** too :rolleyes:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
1) I concur.

Aluminum in it's many forms (alloys) is an excellent material for a vast number of products. Inexpensive... as in aluminum cans yes, but even that material has superior sheer strength and a host of other good qualities.

2) The iPhone 5 I own, (the third replacement) is sadly lacking the superior build quality Apple was once known for. My iPhone 4 and 4S models are far better than the 5. I continue to hold out hope that Apple will return to building the high quality products of their past... instead of the current trend, which is pumping out a massive quantity per day, day after day with the highest priority being profits. There is a balance of both profit and quality which can be easily achieved, they've done it before, they can do it again.

3) You have lowered yourself to the _gutter_ when claiming that Android devices are made out of "cheap crap".
Sadly this comment reduced the credibility of your post to that of which you were responding.

It's a real shame that some Apple enthusiasts are so obsessed with trashing the competition, that it cripples their ability to hold an intelligent conversation.

If you bothered to read, I used the word "MANY" which isn't inclusive of ALL or EVERY Android device. Some HTC, Samsung and Motorola devices are the exceptions. Face the facts, many Android devices on the market are pretty cheaply built. Not every Android device is as high quality as HTC Droid DNA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Motorola RAZR, LG Optimus G and others.

As to the other posts arguing points I have never made and irrelevant bits of incorrect information, there are many types of aluminum. The aluminum used in aircraft parts is different than the aluminum used in an aluminum can. Finishes, alloys, grades are all different. Aluminum products aren't 100% pure aluminum element, they include other compounds for extra strength, durability, etc. This is elementary school level knowledge that many posts lack. This is sad but true fact. Just like not every human being has the same level of intelligence, not every aluminum product is made of the same exact material.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

The plastic Macbooks were junk. So was the plastic iPhone 3G/3GS.

The Mac Mini has always been made of Aluminum.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

The aluminum they use in cars cost a lot more as its a high strength alloy. The 6061 aluminum used in the iphone is much much weaker and way cheaper.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

----------

Dude. You are going to die. The pillars might be steel, but your roof is still aluminum. It'll bend and you'll die.

My ignore list is now another user longer.

It's amazing the more people that hate Android I add to it the quieter the "Alternatives to iOS" section gets. But the rest of the forum stays about the same. LOL

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
My ignore list is now another user longer.

It's amazing the more people that hate Android I add to it the quieter the "Alternatives to iOS" section gets. But the rest of the forum stays about the same. LOL

Awesome. What does a discussion about aluminum versus plastic has anything to do with hating Android?

Your Surbura is an Andorid? Hope that aluminum roof don't bend.

----------

Fanboy of aliminum?

Yeah. I do like my portable devices made from aluminum over cheap plastic.

----------

How about this. Take your cost for a ton of aluminum, do the math and figure out how much 25 grams of it is. That's the back of the iPhone 5 plus more...

Now do the same with plastic.

Figure out the cost to manufacture and mold platic and compared that to Aluminum.

Let me know which is much cheaper. I'm betting it's plastic.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Awesome. Hope that aluminum roof don't bend.

----------

Fanboy of aliminum?

----------

Figure out the cost to manufacture and mold platic and compared that to Aluminum.

I guess you like corrosion too ?

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
The plastic Macbooks were junk. So was the plastic iPhone 3G/3GS.

The Mac Mini has always been made of Aluminum.

Your knowledge of the Mac is staggering and lends so much credibility to your posting.

The exterior of the original Mac Mini was capped with polycarbonate PLASTIC on the top and bottom, with an aluminum skeletal wall for rigidity.

And I just bet you called the iPhone 3 junk when or if you owned. Like most Mac users, your story changes when the Apple product does. You lot were saying 3.5" was perfect, no need to have everything a bigger display. Now all we here is how great a 4" display is. I remember how cpu specs didn't matter, but now that the iP5 has a slightly faster CPU, all Apple fans want to discuss is specs. Well, until the S4 is released, then specs won't matter again. :rolleyes:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
And I just bet you called the iPhone 3 junk when or if you owned. Like most Mac users, your story changes when the Apple product does. You lot were saying 3.5" was perfect, no need to have everything a bigger display. Now all we here is how great a 4" display is. I remember how cpu specs didn't matter, but now that the iP5 has a slightly faster CPU, all Apple fans want to discuss is specs. Well, until the S4 is released, then specs won't matter again. :rolleyes:

This is a Apple versus Android thread?

Or are you just some sort of Apple hating Fandroid?

I thought this was a plastic versus Aluminum thread.

By the way, I'll still enjoy my 3.5" iPhone 4S over my Note 2 I just got. The Note 2 is kinda like the cheap plastic of the iPhone 3G/3GS.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Awesome. What does a discussion about aluminum versus plastic has anything to do with hating Android?

Your Surbura is an Andorid? Hope that aluminum roof don't bend.

----------

Fanboy of aliminum?

----------

Apparently it costs a lot, since most of the iPhones are being returned as damaged units right out of the box. LOL
Sorry dude, iPhone 5 is the worst piece of junk Apple has made, followed closely by iOS6 and auto-correct. :D

----------

This is a Apple versus Android thread?

Or are you just some sort of Apple hating Fandroid?

I thought this was a plastic versus Aluminum thread.

By the way, I'll still enjoy my 3.5" iPhone 4S over my Note 2 I just got. The Note 2 is kinda like the cheap plastic of the iPhone 3G/3GS.

Nope. Just pointing out ifan hypocrisy and your lack of knowledge on the subject. Nothing more. Still want to tell us the Mac Mini have always been made out of Aluminum? I see you left that part of my quote out in your response. But hey, don't let a thing like facts ruin your points. :D

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Your knowledge of the Mac is staggering and lends so much credibility to your posting.

Your lack of knowledge about the the Mac is staggering and lends so much credibility to your posting.

----------

Nope. Just pointing out ifan hypocrisy and your lack of knowledge on the subject. Nothing more. Still want to tell us the Mac Mini have always been made out of Aluminum? I see you left that part of my quote out in your response. But hey, don't let a thing like facts ruin your points. :D

Yes, the Mac Mini has always been made out of Aluminum. Just because there are plastic parts on the Mac Mini, doesn't mean the Mac Mini was made out of Aluminum.

I've own every generation of Mac Mini made.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Why do Fandroids turn every thread into "Apple Vs. Android"?

Thought this thread was about plastic versus aluminum.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think the problem here is the use of the word "cheap", when really, I see this as a design flaw. I wouldn't consider a phone bending in your pocket user error. I quite often put phones in my back pocket, and yes, that includes the iPhone and have never seen damage remotely like this. This isn't something that, IMO, should happen without much more force exerted than a person could reasonable exert by simply sitting down, unless we are encroaching on 300lb+ people in every case which, while I can't rule out, seems improbable.

But did Apple cheap out? I think they just want with a very thin design. When you go thinner and lighter, you also lose structural support. It's sort of the name of the game.

People in this thread are comparing apples to oranges. AFAIK there is no polycarbonate body phone out there are thing as the iPhone 5 (yet). So it is pretty tough to say that polycarbonate is better than aluminum in this sense. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the polycarbonate, if made thin enough, is going to have similar limitations. Perhaps they will manifest more as cracks, rather than bends, but the end result will be the same; there will be structural damage to the phone.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I think the problem here is the use of the word "cheap", when really, I see this as a design flaw. I wouldn't consider a phone bending in your pocket user error. I quite often put phones in my back pocket, and yes, that includes the iPhone and have never seen damage remotely like this. This isn't something that, IMO, should happen without much more force exerted than a person could reasonable exert by simply sitting down, unless we are encroaching on 300lb+ people in every case which, while I can't rule out, seems improbable.

But did Apple cheap out? I think they just want with a very thin design. When you go thinner and lighter, you also lose structural support. It's sort of the name of the game.

People in this thread are comparing apples to oranges. AFAIK there is no polycarbonate body phone out there are thing as the iPhone 5 (yet). So it is pretty tough to say that polycarbonate is better than aluminum in this sense. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the polycarbonate, if made thin enough, is going to have similar limitations. Perhaps they will manifest more as cracks, rather than bends, but the end result will be the same; there will be structural damage to the phone.

Bit off topic, but how are you finding the Lumia 920?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why do Fandroids turn every thread into "Apple Vs. Android"?

Thought this thread was about plastic versus aluminum.

Why did you feel the need to post this twice within the last 15 minutes? :confused:

Either way, you are not adding to the discourse, rather helping keep it going off topic.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Bit off topic, but how are you finding the Lumia 920?

I have actually had a great time with it. Right now the most painful thing is a lack of apps, but the changes MS made (I won't go into detail here) has apps pouring in daily and new dev accounts being activated constantly.

The 920 itself has had some issues. My unit specifically has a GPS issue where it just kind of thinks you stopped all of the sudden. I got it in Cyan and the MS store was out of Cyan, so I am waiting for a call back when they get it in to swap it out.

Right now, for the app junky, I think iOS and Android are going to be the weapon of choice. For those who don't mind fewer apps, it's not a problem. Everything I use on a daily basis is already available, so it is hard for me to complain that I can't get something that I never wanted/used/needed anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Aluminum is very resistive against corrosion.

I don't think I've own anything aluminum that has corrosion.

Aluminium actually oxidises very easily hence why you don't see chunks of it laying around, but when it oxidises the corrosion forms a protective layer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.