Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyAlpha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Hi;

I have a late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.8 Leopard. I am about to upgrade to Mountain Lion via an upgrade to Snow Leopard. I want do do a clean install to start fresh and I am now in the process of backing everything up and that's where I need help.

I have an 80GB Boot Camp Partition running Windows XP and will just simply copy anything I need from there to an external HDD.

On the Mac I have about 8500 photos in iPhoto, a shed load of music in iTunes and a spattering of films in iPhoto (Which I also have on an external HDD) and some home movies in iMovie.

What are my best options for the Mac element, is Time Machine out of the picture as I am doing a clean install to a new OSX version?

I have tried copying the iPhoto library but it failed at the end?

JonnyAlpha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
What no help on this one?

I have opted to backup using time machine for the time being but decided to backup to a folder on my NAS.

I have just read a sticky on this forum about doing aclean install of Mountain Lion, it covers backing up to Time Machine and onces the new OSX has been installed it says to select your Time Machin Backup to migrate your data. Will i be able to select my NAS? As it is not recognised by default and has to be mounted as a server?

How do I backup all of my data and applications and transfer only some of them to my new clean installed OSX?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Download the application called Carbon Copy Cloner.

It's great. Select the HD you wish to clone and then select the destination (I'd use your external HD).

Then you hit clone (or ok, or go, I forget what it is) and it will completely clone your drive.

That's what I did. Then, I clean installed ML, plugged my external back in, and just grabbed my files from my external simply by dragging them :)

JonnyAlpha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Download the application called Carbon Copy Cloner.

It's great. Select the HD you wish to clone and then select the destination (I'd use your external HD).

Then you hit clone (or ok, or go, I forget what it is) and it will completely clone your drive.

That's what I did. Then, I clean installed ML, plugged my external back in, and just grabbed my files from my external simply by dragging them :)

I was reading about Carbon Copy and Super Dooper but for some reason I didn't think I'd be able to drag off individual files..DOH!!

many thanks

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
You can also do the same thing if before upgrading you did an Archive & Install. This would create a very large disk image of your old OS with everything in it. You could then open it, navigate through it, and copy stuff out of it if needed.

Although, I'm not positive this is still in the newer OS X installer Options.

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Your Mac's video card is fine (even 9400M) but make sure you run it with 4 GB of RAM. My sis is experiencing more beachballing than she was on 10.6.8 (her 2010 Air is in my signature).

Cheers

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
Leopard to ML Upgrade

Be aware that Windows XP is not supported in ML and you may have to upgrade to iLife11 if you haven't already done so. I learned of these when I recently upgraded my Mac Pro 3.1 with 10.5.8 to ML with SL as the intermediary OS. However, I didn't care much for ML and have since returned to SL as my OS of choice.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"On the Mac I have about 8500 photos in iPhoto, a shed load of music in iTunes and a spattering of films in iPhoto (Which I also have on an external HDD) and some home movies in iMovie."

I think your best solution for now would be to clone the entire contents of your [old] system/data to either:
a. A separate hard drive for archival purposes, or,
b. A partition created somewhere on an existing hard drive.

Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. CCC 3.4.7 is freely available here:
http://www.bombich.com/download.html

I believe SuperDuper in "demo" (non-registered) mode will still clone an entire volume for free, as well.

You always want to have at least one "bootable clone" available somewhere close-at-hand. It doesn't even have to be the most-current version of the system. Almost any bootable system will do in a moment of extreme need.

Once you have the clone standing by, you can either "migrate" the data you wish "by hand", use "Migration Assistant" to move it, or in the case of iPhoto (which I don't use often), there may be a pathway to import older libraries.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Without more info like how much RAM you have installed, I'm guessing you are going to push this old MacBook to it's limit. It might be so slow you'll be sorry you upgraded.

I would upgrade to Snow Leopard and stop there.

JonnyAlpha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Your Mac's video card is fine (even 9400M) but make sure you run it with 4 GB of RAM. My sis is experiencing more beachballing than she was on 10.6.8 (her 2010 Air is in my signature).

Cheers

I have 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM waiting to go in this bad boy so memory should not be a problem.

----------

"On the Mac I have about 8500 photos in iPhoto, a shed load of music in iTunes and a spattering of films in iPhoto (Which I also have on an external HDD) and some home movies in iMovie."

I think your best solution for now would be to clone the entire contents of your [old] system/data to either:
a. A separate hard drive for archival purposes, or,
b. A partition created somewhere on an existing hard drive.

Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. CCC 3.4.7 is freely available here:
http://www.bombich.com/download.html

I believe SuperDuper in "demo" (non-registered) mode will still clone an entire volume for free, as well.

You always want to have at least one "bootable clone" available somewhere close-at-hand. It doesn't even have to be the most-current version of the system. Almost any bootable system will do in a moment of extreme need.

Once you have the clone standing by, you can either "migrate" the data you wish "by hand", use "Migration Assistant" to move it, or in the case of iPhoto (which I don't use often), there may be a pathway to import older libraries.

Thanks for the advice, just had a thought, what about all my email in Mac Mail? Will I be able to access it from the archive? And if I make a bootable clone using Carbon Copy can I select it as a boot option when starting up my Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.