Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I need to know a couple things regarding T-Mobile's wireless coverage:

1.) Have they yet completely farmed their 3G network coverage?
2.) Have they completely rolled out their 4G HSPA+ network coverage?

3.) How's their coverage in the midwest (specifically Illinois/Chicagoland area)?

I used this website as a general guideline, but I'm still not sure how accurate that map is. I'm not even sure if that map includes data coverage or if it only showcases their voice/text coverage:

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

Additional questions regarding T-Mobile:

4.) Can the iPhone 4S tap into T-Mobile's 3G network? Or would I be stuck with their 2G edge (even though they're refarming 3G/4G)?

5.) Are there any carriers that offer an iPhone 4S that is compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network? In other words, if I want to purchase an iPhone 4S to use on T-Mobile's 3G network (assuming I even can), can I get a phone from another carrier (for cheaper) and then unlock it at T-Mobile, or do I have no choice but to buy a factory unlocked device?

If anyone can answer any of these questions even partially, it would help a great deal. Thank in advanced, guys.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Has T-Mobile completely refarmed their 4G?

No, they havent completelly refarmed their whole network yet.
Only select cities so far but they are working on it.
Here's an unofficial site with iphone refarmed 3G areas.
http://www.airportal.de/
Its just reports from customers.
If you dont live in a refarmed area your iphone will only connect to 2G edge for data on tmobile usa.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
T-Mobile's refarming is not done yet. Even if they announced the city you live in as it being refarmed, expect a few areas to still be missing the new 1900 mhz spectrum.

Also, as far as I know, any model of the iPhone, regardless of carrier will not have the proper GSM chip to work with T-Mobile's HSPA+ network since it uses uncommon GSM frequencies.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
T-Mobile's refarming is not done yet. Even if they announced the city you live in as it being refarmed, expect a few areas to still be missing the new 1900 mhz spectrum.

Also, as far as I know, any model of the iPhone, regardless of carrier will not have the proper GSM chip to work with T-Mobile's HSPA+ network since it uses uncommon GSM frequencies.
i have the iPhone 4 on tmobile im getting up to 8mbs on 3G. the iphone 4 does not support HSPA+ which is AT&T 4G. However the 4s and 5 supports HSPA+

Last edited:

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas

The 4S and 5 can as the other person said I believe. I've gotten 15+ mb/s down on my iPhone 5.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
The 4S and 5 can as the other person said I believe. I've gotten 15+ mb/s down on my iPhone 5.

I should have been a bit more clear. I meant the HSPA+ 4G network that T-Mobile commonly has in areas that don't use the 1900 MHz frequency yet.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Only the iPhone 5 supports HSPA+ speeds, not the 4S.

The 4s supports HSPA+

zjWXE.png

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
You're all wrong!

iPhone 5 will support up to LTE.
iPhone 4S will support up to 3G..4G if you are talking about the 3.5 version...

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
4S will support HSPA+ up to 14.4, nowhere near what T-Mobile is capable of in my area. I've seen T-Mobile speeds go as fast as 25, so an iPhone 5 would be the best choice for fast T-Mobile 3G.

^This is correct.

iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4 only support HSPA
iPhone 4S supports up to HSPA+ 14.4
iPhone 5 supports up to HSPA+ 42 (DC-HSPA). LTE will also be supported once we start the network rollout in 2013. LTE will only be compatible with the AT&T model iPhone 5.

This means someone with an iPhone 5 can see speeds as high as 25mbps down in some refarmed areas.

Enkay909

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
sorry im really new to this, so from my understanding, t-mobile is now equipped with micro sim for iphone 5, and now in some area's and more to come they are offering 3g for iphone 5, but my question is what about 4g for the iphone 5 through t- mobile

RuleTheGame

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
T-Mobile currently has 4G HSPA+ that works on the 1700mhz band that it uses for most of it's phones, and this band is not compatible with any iphones. T-Mobile currenty has the 1900mhz band on 2G (EDGE) speed and this is compatible with GSM phones (the iphone). They are now refarming their 1900mhz band that has 2G to 4G HSPA+ and they have 15 cities so far that are done. They will be finishing the major cities first and said they should be finished around mid-2013.

So, the T-Mobile 1900mhz band will work with all GSM iphones 3GS, 4, 4S, or 5 (you have to have a GSM iphone bought either unlocked from apple or the AT&T version because AT&T is GSM. Sprint and Verizon iphones WONT WORK because they're both CDMA carriers). So the GSM iphones will only work on 2G (EDGE) speed unless you live in one of the refarmed areas, then it will work with 3G/4G HSPA+.

I live in the Chicago suburbs and go to Chicago alot, they are refarming around here alot but it's very spotty. All the above info. is right I hope it's more clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.