Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
If you order one of those grand-spanking-new $3000 iMacs on Friday, they should at least throw in a free iPad Mini.

But Apple doesn't do stuff like this.

And for good reason.

An item's perceived quality and value is negatively impacted when you start giving them away for free as pack-ins. The last thing Apple wants to do is get people to start thinking of an iPad mini as a nice little extra that they toss in for nothing when you buy an iMac. It would do little to sell more iMacs (I mean - who would buy a $3000 device because they'd get a $300 device thrown in?!) and it would hurt the perceived quality of the iPad mini.

----------

New writer?

Or, you know, a typo. I suspect "at its" was what the writer was aiming at. Presumably you never make typos. Must be nice.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Can anyone explain this better? The thing really does look like it's having an identity crisis between a 9.7 and a Mini, not because of the bar (which is actually to the right of the iPad in the picture), but because of the bezel on the left.

The iPad Mini is displaying a full replica of the magazine cover, including the black stripe that runs down the left side of the cover. This happens to make it look like the iPad Mini has a thicker left bezel, when really part of that is the black stripe of the magazine cover.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I think it shows how the magazine is better. It's larger and easier to read. The only thing it shows about the mini is that it might be small enough to carry around and that the mini can be a viable and yet inferior alternative to having the larger print media.
Ofcourse I'm sure that Time Magazine would reformat their articles so that they work on the mini but it doesn't say that.
Personally I love reading news digitally and I've been doing it for years because it's so much faster and convenient. News is instantly readily available but the advert doesn't convey any of that, for me it conveys the pitfals not the pro's. It reminds me of the positives of print media that I've left behind.

My first reaction was the same thing, when I saw the images. I thought "wouldn't it be better to read the full-size magazine rather than on a much smaller iPad mini?"

Tablets do offer a very nice, tactile experience when reading/browsing visual media; and of course give you quick access to more content than a physical magazine; but I'm not sold on Apple's logic here at all. They seem to be on a very single-minded course with miniaturisation - which is generally a very good thing - but to me this advert highlights a drawback rather than the benefits of the mini.

Then again, it does kinda make me wanna buy the iPad 4, so maybe it works... :p

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
The iPad Mini is displaying a full replica of the magazine cover, including the black stripe that runs down the left side of the cover. This happens to make it look like the iPad Mini has a thicker left bezel, when really part of that is the black stripe of the magazine cover.

I really hope this clarifies it for the poster with the question. I can't think of a more direct way to state this.

ThatsMrsGeek2U

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
You mean the $1299 iMac? Exaggerate much?

Well I have to say that even if his attitude is a bit to entitled and trolly for my taste, it is just as wrong to say the iMac IS $1299 as to say it IS $3000.

If some folks want to quote the very bottom starting price of the smallest model, call a spade a spade. I just looked really quick and see BTO options that easily break $4K, so I'm sure many will end up buying one that that is about $3k. (including me)

Now that does not make them have to give me a iPad, they most they usually give away is a iPod or a $100 AppStore card and have no reason to change, I don't think they should.

back on topic, the add is very good, i do hope that the black bar in the image looks more distinct from the edge of the iPad in person than it does in this picture, or they should have waited till the next week when they was a more flattering picture.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
The best thing about any electronic/digital version of a magazine is that you don't have to deal with all those infernal magazine inserts and "Subscribe Now" cards!

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I have several digital subscriptions and I LOVE reading on the iPad, but the Mini does reduce the type size. I have to enlarge the type size and essentially read one part of the page at a time. It was annoying at first, but after a short while, I didn't even notice the difference.

I was most interested in digital magazines and newspapers because my background is print newspapers. They are on the way out, I fear, as advertising migrates to other media, particularly digital. Some magazines really take advantage of the iPad/Mini's ability to have action emerge from a print-looking page. Other magazines just put their pages up with little or no animation. Hopefully, all will take advantage of the addition capabilities. Makes reading fun!

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Or, you know, a typo. I suspect "at its" was what the writer was aiming at. Presumably you never make typos. Must be nice.

Sorry, thats not what I meant. I can understand how you took it that way.

They were meant to be two separate points:

New writer? As I hadn't seen the byline before.

And

A typo.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
In which case my apologies for the rather brisk reply. I'm just so used to snarky comments here I guess I jumped to the conclusion.

Sorry, thats not what I meant. I can understand how you took it that way.

They were meant to be two separate points:

New writer? As I hadn't seen the byline before.

And

A typo.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
In which case my apologies for the rather brisk reply. I'm just so used to snarky comments here I guess I jumped to the conclusion.

No need, I should have been more clear in the first place.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
The December 24 edition of Time Magazine, which was delivered to subscribers on Saturday, December 15, went live with the iPad Mini commercial using this image on its back cover:

1101121224_600.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.