Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I'm going to be honest, I didn't read through all 46 pages of posts. The one thing I've noticed and I'm curious if others have as well is has anyone turned off their phone and turned them back on to see a higher battery percentage?

I have noticed that on my iPad mini and iPhone 5 that after restarting both of them the battery percentage goes up by 4-5% after the restart. I feel the percentage after the restart is the correct percent remaining leading me to believe that there is a bug in the battery meter on iOS 6.

Anyone else notice this?!

ive had this !

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
Great Battery Life

My Week 45 iPhone 5 32GB Black Gives me great battery life. Mostly on WIFI
with screen brightness about 30%.:cool:

Usage 8 Hours, 13 Minutes
Standby 3 Days, 7 Hours

That From Full Charge till 2% battery.

Last edited:

Enmanuel

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
Boston
just outta interest whats the best battery life out of these 46 pages in terms of hours / min usage ? (regardless of what its used for)

anyone hit 15 hours, or is that a tad to far ?

Honestly I didn't read through all the pages but I've regularly hit 12 hours but had a few days where I've hit 13. That said I admit I don't have a billion apps running at the same time like some people here.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i dont have any screenshot but i just bought my iphone 5 last week. i havent activated it yet, so i'm not using any cellular data. but i did notice that i charged my phone to 100%, then leave it unplugged overnight for 14 hours with the original stock apps that came with the iphone 5 and wifi turned on. came back home the next day and saw that the battery life has dropped down from 100% to 87% in just a span of 14 hours without even turning the phone on or doing anything, just standby.

my iphone 4 on the other hand charged at 100%, and with some casual web browsing, checking emails, facebook (all for a good 15 minutes) dropped down to 92% in that same 14 hour span.

Now this isnt scientific by any means, but this is just what i observed.

can anybody tell me whats wrong?

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
My battery seems off today usually by this time I have more then 70% battery left. Today I have 20% it seems like its draining faster...does wifi or data use more battery life?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I'm going to be honest, I didn't read through all 46 pages of posts. The one thing I've noticed and I'm curious if others have as well is has anyone turned off their phone and turned them back on to see a higher battery percentage?

I have noticed that on my iPad mini and iPhone 5 that after restarting both of them the battery percentage goes up by 4-5% after the restart. I feel the percentage after the restart is the correct percent remaining leading me to believe that there is a bug in the battery meter on iOS 6.

Anyone else notice this?!

I have noticed this too. Just happened this AM, actually. I am home so on wifi, but it was draining more like the 3G drain rate I have. Shut it off for a while and then started it up, and now it is draining much slower--more like the WiFi rate I am used to. I really wonder if there is a problem on occasion with having wifi take priority over 3G.

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
:)

Attachments

• IMG_0493.PNG
    IMG_0493.PNG
    103.7 KB · Views: 82

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Do you only listen to music or did you charge it to 99% and use it more?

that was off 1 charge !
i dont usually get close to this, but yeah music played its part here.

siri turned on
location services on
email (1 account) push - every 15 min
brightness round 30%
music played for bout 12/13 of those hours (to see what it would finish on)
monday and tuesday night 12-8.30 off wifi (3g 1 bar)
most of today it was on wifi (so hardly any internet over 3g)
checking fb and twitter 1-3 times an hour

so not bad tbh ...

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hello,
Around 3 weeks ago Apple swapped out mine for a "White Box" and the difference in Battery Life is nothing short of stunning. I have made it 3 days once without once putting it in a charger, and whereas with my past ones it would drop 10-15% overnight now it drops 2%.

I am not sure if it is just getting an exceptionally good battery, but I am using the same apps and have not changed anything in terms of usage.
Cheers,
JJ

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Anyone get unusual variation in life?

Anyone else get wide swings in usage? Even when the source (wifi or cellular) remains constant?

Almost all of my usage of a given charge is Safari, so the usage is pretty consistent.

This morning, for example, after a full charge I was at 100%. I am at home on wifi, so typically I would hit 8-9 hours. But this started dropping faster than average. So I shut it down for a few minutes and then turned it back on. As usual, I gained about 5% on the meter. But then the usage also seemed to go back to normal for wifi.

Before shutting off, my usage was more like I would get on ATT network (3G) here.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
i just had the weirdest thing happen to me today. i've had my iphone 4 for exactly 2 years now. i left it last night with 80% battery, slept for 8 hours, woke up to find it at 35%. wifi was off, no programs were running except for: calendar, messages, settings, skype. there were no notifications at all.

my normal battery drain during night time is between 5% and 7%. i have never had a 50% drop! but i usually don't leave skype running. the phone is running the latest ios (which i think is 6.1)

this happened to me once only on ios 5, but i had left the phone for 6 hours in a poor reception area. however last night it was at home, which is normally a good reception area.

my question is: could this have been skype running, or is it possible that i had lost signal at some point and the phone was searching all night? and if so, should this drain 50%?

is there a solution or a way of finding out what's wrong?

It's Skype. Go to Settings and set it to go offline Immediately instead of Never.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
okay, i havent even activated my iphone 5 yet with verizon coz i'm freaking waiting for that sim card to arrive.

and there's no freaking way in hell i used the phone 3 hours 29 minutes. at most approximately i used it for 10 minutes.

i did notice i lost 18% of my charge going from 100% to 82% by leaving it overnight for about 14 hours on standby (not using it, not even turning it on) i havent charge the phone since then. and the results is the picture that you see.

my iphone 4 doesnt do that. can anyone tell me whats going on? and can anyone explain why i have 3 hours 29 minutes of usage time? i dont get it, i know i've used at most 10 minutes of my iphone 5.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    105.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
okay, i havent even activated my iphone 5 yet with verizon coz i'm freaking waiting for that sim card to arrive.

and there's no freaking way in hell i used the phone 3 hours 29 minutes. at most approximately i used it for 10 minutes.

i did notice i lost 18% of my charge going from 100% to 82% by leaving it overnight for about 14 hours on standby (not using it, not even turning it on) i havent charge the phone since then. and the results is the picture that you see.

my iphone 4 doesnt do that. can anyone tell me whats going on? and can anyone explain why i have 3 hours 29 minutes of usage time? i dont get it, i know i've used at most 10 minutes of my iphone 5.

Just a thought . .. are you backing up to iCloud? On a wifi to DSL (like I have) it would take hours. This would be in the background, but would show up as usage.

----------

Last edited:

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Coming from a verizon galaxy nexus my ip5's battery life is just amazing!!!
So far im at 39%, Awake: 5 hours 36 min, standby:1 day 3 hours
Loving it!

I came from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus too and it had an extended 2100mah battery and I got maybe 6 hours on LTE usage + standby time. I charged it 2-3 times a day

with my iPhone I get about the same as you, 5-6 hours. I never have drained it past 20-30% since it lasts so long. Your standby time is very good though

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Hmmm, battery, software, hardware, or normal . . .

I guess I should go in for a battery check too. Almost all of my use is safari, mail, and, on occassion, weather. All three are fairly heavy data draws.

Home on wifi all is great, and usage hits 9-10 hours.
Away, on 3G or LTE, the usage is closer to 4-5 hours.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'm probably a light user (20-30 texts, 10 emails, 1-5 calls, and 30 mins to 1 hour of reading at night). But I'm seeing near 4s battery life. On my 4s I did 1 day and had 80% left. The 5 ALMOST gets that. I'm on WiFi most of the day.

First day I got the 5, I spent 6 hours on LTE (downloaded 800mb) and used 40% battery.

I'm very happy with the phone. But I sit at a desk all day so my phone is plugged in ALL the time. A lot of people I know who complain of battery life - just bring your USB cable to work and plug it in to any monitor/computer. ?!

Verizon Wireless and work is 1 block from a tower.

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Got a new iPhone 5 today.
Used 33% in about 210 minutes which seems about right.
Constantly downloading apps onto it and playing out/messing about with it and messaging, so quite intensive I'd say. I'll post more details once I've used it and charged it up a few times.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Got a new iPhone 5 today.
Used 33% in about 210 minutes which seems about right.
Constantly downloading apps onto it and playing out/messing about with it and messaging, so quite intensive I'd say. I'll post more details once I've used it and charged it up a few times.

On wifi or cell? Thanks!

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
On wifi or cell? Thanks!

Mostly wifi, maybe an hour on 3g.

Current status
I've been using my phone for around 7 hours now. Battery to begin with was around 70%.
I've literally been using it since I've got it, app heavy stuff. And when my battery drained to below 10%, I just stuck to messaging + facebook + light browsing.
Since my battery displayed 1% I've been messaging/fb'ing for over an hour. I'm loving this battery life =D

Last edited:

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I only plugged it in for a minute to install an app I'm developing as iTunes wifi sync doesn't work when the battery level is so low.

So far I've managed to do without charging for 4+ days 3 times now. Amazing battery life.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.