Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmanley1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Big fan of the Lockergnome YouTube Channel. Chris is a good reviewer and an entertaining presenter with all things tech.

Yesterday he posted this Vlog.

He dropped his iPhone 5 and the front screen cracked. He took it in to the Apple store and they replaced it free of charge. Is this common practice for Apple to do this with a phone that is still in the 1st year, under warranty.

Keep in mind Chris has no AppleCare+ or insurance (not that the latter would have mattered at the Apple Store).

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Big fan of the Lockergnome YouTube Channel. Chris is a good reviewer and an entertaining presenter with all things tech.

Yesterday he posted this Vlog.

He dropped his iPhone 5 and the front screen cracked. He took it in to the Apple store and they replaced it free of charge. Is this common practice for Apple to do this with a phone that is still in the 1st year, under warranty.

Keep in mind Chris has no AppleCare+ or insurance (not that the latter would have mattered at the Apple Store).

No it's not common practice. Most people would have to pay the $229 replacement fee. I'm not sure why he got it waived. It may have to do with who he is.

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Have to disagree with you there. I watched Chris's videos pretty regularly up until three or so years ago. I finally had to stop because he spent more time drinking wine, yelling, and going off on rabbit trails than actually giving a solid review. Thank God there are plenty of good alternatives to him.

utahusker

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
I had the same experience getting my wife's screen replaced on her iphone3 a couple of years ago. I bought a screen replacement to install myself, and I failed miserably. I then bought another one and failed again.

I finally gave in and was prepared to pay the fee to have the Apple store replace it. We made an appointment and they took it in the back and repaired it for free! So they will do repairs for free depending on their mood. By the way, it was out of regular warranty but we had Apple Care.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Depends on the store/staff you come across. Also helps if you have clout as it were...

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
usually when you bring your sad face to their store and politely sadly patiently consistently honestly tell (not beg) them what happened they will repair it for free

bmwman3241

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
I have had multiple iDevices replaced by my Apple store for free. I just be honest and calm and they always come thru. Even had liquid damage fixed on my Macbook Pro for free once.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
My first 4S slipped out of my hand as I was getting into my car. It hit the cement and cracked. Went to the Apple Store, prepared to pay $200 and instead, the genius said she could replace it for free as a "hairline" crack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.