Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
So I'm trying to help a friend of mine who's iPhone is believed to be stolen.

I called Apple and asked if there is any way they can track/flag down the iPhone if someone ever tries to activate it. Of course, they said no and what should have been done was to install Find my iPhone app and sync it with iCloud. Then the AppleCare guy I spoke to of course tells me that what could have been done is wipe the iPhone for security but didn't say anything about actually retrieving the iPhone. :rolleyes:

In the end, I was told to look at other options in order to try to get my friend's iPhone back.

So my next move is to try with the carrier to see if they can possibly flag this particular iPhone if someone ever tries to activate it. Is this something they can do?

Thanks.

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
All these posts are so stupid. How does one STEAL your phone? Like honestly... Just because you forgot your phone somewhere and someone took it that doesn't mean they STOLE it. It means you were stupid enough to lose your phone.

Pewdiepie

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
It dosen't mean he stole the phone look for it, you know under the couch in the car seat. Happy hunting

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If they didn't have find my iPhone on the phone then your friend is out of luck.

If your friend knows what the imei number is they can report it lost or stolen and the phone will be flagged and not be able to be activated.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
All these posts are so stupid. How does one STEAL your phone? Like honestly... Just because you forgot your phone somewhere and someone took it that doesn't mean they STOLE it. It means you were stupid enough to lose your phone.

If you find a phone somewhere and you take it even if it doesn't belong to you, you have stolen it. The [LANGUAGE] way to go would be turn it in to the police, or if it was in a shop or store, hand it over to the clerk in case the owner comes looking for it.

In your logic, if someone takes your car cause you left it in the parking lot, it's not stealing.

Last edited by a moderator:

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California

It dosen't mean he stole the phone look for it, you know under the couch in the car seat. Happy hunting

These two idiotic posts are exactly the reason why I wish MacRumors kept the down vote button.

If you find a phone somewhere and you take it even if it doesn't belong to you, you have stolen it. The [LANGUAGE] way to go would be turn it in to the police, or if it was in a shop or store, hand it over to the clerk in case the owner comes looking for it.

In your logic, if someone takes your car cause you left it in the parking lot, it's not stealing.

Thank you for understanding.

----------

If they didn't have find my iPhone on the phone then your friend is out of luck.

If your friend knows what the imei number is they can report it lost or stolen and the phone will be flagged and not be able to be activated.

Thanks. I'm sure we can get the serial and imei numbers. And that's all I was really hoping for, that is, Apple would help out with notifying her if someone else were to try to activate her stolen iPhone.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The fundamental problem here is that it's incredibly difficult to recover ANY type of stolen property. If it wasn't, people wouldn't bother to steal things!

Find My iPhone and similar tools are really only good for two things:

1) Finding a device if you know that it's not REALLY lost/stolen (but somewhere like the back of your couch).

2) Erasing the device if it's stolen.

Apple could make it so that a blocked iPhone cannot be re-activated, but they don't.

The carriers in the US have started to build a combined database where lost/stolen devices are blacklisted across ALL networks, but that's not in full motion yet.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Thanks. I'm sure we can get the serial and imei numbers. And that's all I was really hoping for, that is, Apple would help out with notifying her if someone else were to try to activate her stolen iPhone.

Those numbers are printed on the label on the back of the box that the iPhone came in.

BrokeTechLover

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012

If you actually READ THE TITLE,you'd see the OP put LOST/stolen iphone. That aside then what exactly are you saying? That something someone else has that wasnt given to them isn't stolen?

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
for the sake of argument - why?

aren't they both someone's property? stealing is not stealing depending on the value of the item? or its portability? or size?

just curious how you reason here.

You are HAVE to park your car outside you can't take you car inside your room or inside a restaurant It's not like you are leaving your phone behind because that's what you are supposed to do. You made a mistake and now you have to face the consequences.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
You are HAVE to park your car outside you can't take you car inside your room or inside a restaurant It's not like you are leaving your phone behind because that's what you are supposed to do. You made a mistake and now you have to face the consequences.

You have lost all credibility in this argument, so time to let the rest of us enjoy the boards and allow the OP's questions to be answered.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Apple knows exactly where your lost phone is located, they know this because every time you use itunes or any other service of your iphone it send the imei and serial number to their servers.

I think that when you buy a new iphone you should be able to register your iphone in itunes so that if some day it is lost you could contact Apple and they tell you exactly where is located your lost iPhone.

An iphone constantly sends all type of information to Apple servers they know the location, the ip, and more information about every iphone out there.

Sooner or later everybody needs to connect his iphone to itunes, download updates, download new apps, music, use iCloud, etc, etc, this is where Apple could help owners of an iphone to locate it.

Also the find my iPhone was built so that any one could disable that services, if your iphone is stolen they could wipe everything and then you could not find your iPhone, why Apple let people do this, it could be better that you could only delete the information from an iphone if you enter your password.

The first thing that thiefs do when they stole an iphone is to turn it off. It could be great that you could only shutdown your iphone if you enter your password to avoid this issue.

The last time my iphone 4 was stolen I could not see the last location because they wipe everything, and when some one do this the last location of your device is deleted.

It could be nice that you see the last locations of your device also.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Apple knows exactly where your lost phone is located, they know this because every time you use itunes or any other service of your iphone it send the imei and serial number to their servers.

I think that when you buy a new iphone you should be able to register your iphone in itunes so that if some day it is lost you could contact Apple and they tell you exactly where is located your lost iPhone.

An iphone constantly sends all type of information to Apple servers they know the location, the ip, and more information about every iphone out there.

Sooner or later everybody needs to connect his iphone to itunes, download updates, download new apps, music, use iCloud, etc, etc, this is where Apple could help owners of an iphone to locate it.

That's exactly it, Apple can easily find the location of a lost or stolen device when ever it is used by anyone other than the rightful owner. The question is, will Apple in any way aid in recovering that device? Simply put, no they will not.

Also the find my iPhone was built so that any one could disable that services, if your iphone is stolen they could wipe everything and then you could not find your iPhone, why Apple let people do this, it could be better that you could only delete the information from an iphone if you enter your password.

This is exactly what Apple said that could be done if a device has the Find my iPhone app or iCloud syncing enabled. But seriously, why just simply wipe a device if an owner's intention is to recover their property?

Don't get me wrong, I can understand wiping the device in the long-term so no one can access the information on it. But if someone wants their stolen property back and it is as easily trackable as Apple products are, Apple should do what they can to help the owner in these cases.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX

so picking up a phone that belongs to someone else and keeping it is not considered stealing?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Honestly, who cares about this whole side of the discussion?! It's not what the original question and the thread is about. Time to let go of this off-topic and irrelevant (and unfortunately ultimately mostly flaming/trolling) discussion and stick to something useful.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

You take someone else's property = stealing

Why don't you go back to trolling Youtube comments with the rest of your ilk?

*sigh* Kids should be banned from the internet.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
For all of you comparing someone picking up a phone they found sitting on a park bench to actually breaking into a car and taking it are silly. Yes they are both stealing (if the phone is picked up for the purpose of keeping it) but come on, not even in the same park.

OP you also want apple and others to jump through hoops to help your friend (or anyone that has lost/stolen iPhone) but how/why is that their job? How is it their job to blacklist a device? How do they know it's stolen? What's to keep you from selling your phone then calling and saying it was stolen?

I say hold on to your expensive items and don't "lose" them. Practice by prevention.... tell your buddy to give it a shot.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
The fundamental problem here is that it's incredibly difficult to recover ANY type of stolen property. If it wasn't, people wouldn't bother to steal things!

Find My iPhone and similar tools are really only good for two things:

1) Finding a device if you know that it's not REALLY lost/stolen (but somewhere like the back of your couch).

2) Erasing the device if it's stolen.

Apple could make it so that a blocked iPhone cannot be re-activated, but they don't.

The carriers in the US have started to build a combined database where lost/stolen devices are blacklisted across ALL networks, but that's not in full motion yet.

Huh, my mother recovered her iPhone4S with the help of Find My Phone and the police department of a major metropolitan city.

iShorty

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Nottingham, UK
If it's stolen, your only option is to;

1) Find IMEI on Box, contact your carrier to get it blocked.
2) File a complaint with the police.
3) Hope that you have insurance.

Two of my friends in the last 6 months have had their phone taken from their pocket, one on a street and another at a bar. Both unaware until 5-10 minutes later when they've gone to grab their iPhone's. Luckily both had insurance.

Even if you had the Find my iPhone app, there's not much you could of done. They would of most likely turned the phone off, by the time they've turned it on, I would hope anybody with common sense would just get it IMEI blocked so it becomes a brick to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.