Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
No need for a custom rom. Download the SPB launcher. Looks like this;

IOS is stale, outdated, a bunch of dead icons lacking mobility or user preferenced data. This is just one of 3 launchers I can use on a whim. Apex is the other.

Wow. That really looks awful. Seriously, it looks awful.

I just remembered when Ubuntu first released its Compiz desktop. It sure does looks pretty amusing, but that's all about it. In the end, in order for you to get the job done, you'll have to switch back to ordinary desktop and renders the feature useless. Well, except for showing it off. Duh?

Furthermore, what happens when you need to access the menu? What do you see? Isn't it a lot like Apple's? Bunch of little square icons where you need to tap in order to open.

Lastly, I'm sure it does lag like hell.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

I just remembered when Ubuntu first released its Compiz desktop. It sure does looks pretty amusing, but that's all about it. In the end, in order for you to get the job done, you'll have to switch back to ordinary desktop and renders the feature useless. Well, except for showing it off. Duh?

Showing off huh, whats that saying again? How can you tell if a person has an iphone? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Furthermore, what happens when you need to access the menu? What do you see? Isn't it a lot like Apple's? Bunch of little square icons where you need to tap in order to open.

I keep all my most accessed apps on the homescreen. Between that and my battery sipping widgets, I rarely need to access the app menu.

I love it when people say stuff like this. Are you "sure it does lag like hell" the same way I'm "sure the philippines is the worst place to live ever"? I've never been there, but thats what i heard

see above

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Both iOS6 and Android 4.x works just fine out the box when it comes to the basics. Both have the similar first time setup walk thru and the option to add your iCloud/Google account. The main noticeable difference is the level of customization Android has over iOS. This does not make Andriod any more difficult to use. Any difficulty with Android is usually setting up something that doesn't even exist in iOS, and it's by choice. Some users(especially in MR forums) claim Android to be more cumbersome because they try to duplicate exactly what they are used to on iOS. The term "Mac is not a PC" applies to Android and iOS too.
Exactly.

We childproof our homes to make them safe for kids. To me it feels Apple childproofs the iPhone to make it safe for.... whom, exactly? If I prove I'm an adult will they open it up? Nope. The more the jailbreak community tries to make it more open, the more intently Apple tries to close it back up.

Michael

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

I can understand why you would say this, because you have no choice in the matter. you are allowed a grid of icons. boring, dead, useless icons. i can choose to use that 3d view to get from page to page, or leave it in animation mode and let it slowly spin from page to page while pullin out a 3d view of the news, world positional data, alarms, etc...
I dont have my Nex7 set to this, just showing what can be done in a few minutes of time.

i use Nova Launcher and have an accurate up to date data useage widget, tells me both my data and wifi useaage, I have a scrolling calendar widget to alert me when and where my next appointment is, and I have a widget for up to the minute sscores, news and stocks. Then I have app icons that are useful with small amounts of data, followed by the ios style dead icons.

and if you have an iphone 5, you should be used to lag. And dents. And scratches. And bending. And pixel issues. And lightbleed problems. and purple halo pictures. oh yeah, and serious lag when scrolling!!! At least, that is what I heard, so I'm sure the info is right.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Think it through? I think you're asking too much from some people here :p

Yeah I must be really dumb because I use iPhone since its so easy to use. Android is really confusing and thus users must be smart.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah I must be really dumb because I use iPhone since its so easy to use. Android is really confusing and thus users must be smart.

When did I ever say iPhone users are dumb? I would call myself dumb in the process then.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I can understand why you would say this, because you have no choice in the matter. you are allowed a grid of icons. boring, dead, useless icons. i can choose to use that 3d view to get from page to page, or leave it in animation mode and let it slowly spin from page to page while pullin out a 3d view of the news, world positional data, alarms, etc...
I dont have my Nex7 set to this, just showing what can be done in a few minutes of time.

i use Nova Launcher and have an accurate up to date data useage widget, tells me both my data and wifi useaage, I have a scrolling calendar widget to alert me when and where my next appointment is, and I have a widget for up to the minute sscores, news and stocks. Then I have app icons that are useful with small amounts of data, followed by the ios style dead icons.

and if you have an iphone 5, you should be used to lag. And dents. And scratches. And bending. And pixel issues. And lightbleed problems. and purple halo pictures. oh yeah, and serious lag when scrolling!!! At least, that is what I heard, so I'm sure the info is right.

And yet all these third party launcher keeps crashing and sucking up battery. Not to mentioned constantly running apps hogging memory. No wonder most Android needs such big RAM. You can keep customizing to death but you spend more time tweaking stuff than actually using it. Some people like simplicity nothing else.

----------

When did I ever say iPhone users are dumb? I would call myself dumb in the process then.

You obviously implied. Stop kidding yourself!!!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
And yet all these third party launcher keeps crashing and sucking up battery. Not to mentioned constantly running apps hogging memory. No wonder most Android needs such big RAM. You can keep customizing to death but you spend more time tweaking stuff than actually using it. Some people like simplicity nothing more.

Everything you posted is nothing more than repeated propoganda.

I have 3 3rd party launchers on my phone that I can change in and out at will. None use an significant battery or resources, nor do they crash. Although I saw my ipad and iphone crash out of apps on many occasions. iOS is prone to crashing. You just don't know why or what happened, you just get kicked out to the homescreen. At least Android will inform you what happened and why. You get to guess with iOS.

And while I have 2gb of RAM, I rarely exceed 1gb, unless I am doing a bunch of multitasking and need several apps open at once. I realize that this sort of a thing would be confusing and foreign to you, but more RAM means runningmultiple tasks smoothly and efficiently. Apple won't allow you to do this.

Some people do like simplicity. Which is why an iPhone isn't a smartphone. It's a glorified feature phone. It has the ability to be a smartphone, but Apple prevents this. They prefer you to be dependent upon them for everything. You are nothing more than a drone to them.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
And yet all these third party launcher keeps crashing and sucking up battery. Not to mentioned constantly running apps hogging memory. COLOR="#808080"]

----------

[/COLOR]

You obviously implied. Stop kidding yourself!!!

From your statement, either you have not use any Android launchers before or this is just pathetic trolling.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines

I came from NX7 myself. Despite the 'quad core,' does it act as one? Geez screen lift, dead pixels, speaker busted right out of the box? Wow, just wow. Feels like paying more than Apple and having a second rate unit.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
From your statement, either you have not use any Android launchers before or this is just pathetic trolling.

I have use third party launchers. Right now GO launcher.

Seems slower than Touchwiz and laggy. Probably eating up my battery too.

I just got text message spam by GO. WTH! I never authorized it. How they get my phone number.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I came from NX7 myself. Despite the 'quad core,' does it act as one? Geez screen lift, dead pixels, speaker busted right out of the box? Wow, just wow. Feels like paying more than Apple and having a second rate unit.

iPhone 5 had many issues like that. I don't own the Nexus 7, but from what I've read on this and other boards, lots of people have had great experiences with them.

----------

I just got text message spam by GO. WTH! I never authorized it. How they get my phone number.

GO launcher is outdated. From my experiences, Nova and Apex are the best. Maybe ADW also.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
GO launcher is outdated. From my experiences, Nova and Apex are the best. Maybe ADW also.

I have ADW too. I probably paid $2 for it. Maybe I'll try it again.

But how the hell did GO get my phone number to text me? Because I install the app?

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012

Have you tried sslauncher or adw? Ive never liked Go.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I have ADW too. I probably paid $2 for it. Maybe I'll try it again.

But how the hell did GO get my phone number to text me? Because I install the app?

Oh yeah, I think I got that too when I installed it yesterday. Did it have something to do with Christmas. I didn't pay attention to it too much, but now that I think about it, they really shouldn't be sending me messages.

But to answer your question, if you check the permissions for the app, this is one of them:
READ CONTACT DATA
Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your tablet. Malicious apps may use this to send your data to other people. Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your phone. Malicious apps may use this to send your data to other people.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I grew tired of flashing roms and customizing my Nexus, so I got an iPhone.

Now I find myself constantly installing jail break tweaks, and new themes for winter board(4S on 5.1.1).

Another thing I noticed was/is the app crashes on my iPhone. I'm not complainng though. Both OSs have issues.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I grew tired of flashing roms and customizing my Nexus, so I got an iPhone.

Now I find myself constantly installing jail break tweaks, and new themes for winter board(4S on 5.1.1).

Another thing I noticed was/is the app crashes on my iPhone. I'm not complainng though. Both OSs have issues.

Time to get a Windows Phone:D

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Time to get a Windows Phone:D

I have the S3, which is an awesome phone, but the all black Lumia 920 was seriously impressive when I played around with it. I am really tempted to give one a try. I am not to concerned with the lack of 3rd party apps for it, as the main ones are on it.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

I use Go and I do receive notification sometimes for news & such in the notification but NOT text. And it is not eating up battery. You probably made that up. :p

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

I had heard of the screen lift issues on the initial batch of the Nexus 7's, but that was resolved. There will always be some bad units in manufacturing, but I haven't heard of anywidespread speaker or pixel issues with the Nex7. Mine is perfect, as was the 16gb version I sold. The issues with the iPhone 5 are widespread and continue to persist. It bends, dents and scratches easily.

And at a third the cost of the ipad mini, you get a better screen, faster cpu, better graphics, ability to add external usb storage, and is much more computer like with access to the system files and customizability. iPad Mini does look nice. To bad the OS and screen suck. Def second rate to the Nex7. And notice how Apple refuses to give out any sales figures on the iPad Mini? Yeah, sales are sucking cause the platform sucks and people know it.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I had heard of the screen lift issues on the initial batch of the Nexus 7's, but that was resolved. There will always be some bad units in manufacturing, but I haven't heard of anywidespread speaker or pixel issues with the Nex7. Mine is perfect, as was the 16gb version I sold. The issues with the iPhone 5 are widespread and continue to persist. It bends, dents and scratches easily.

Haha... siiip5. Stop trolling.

----------

I use Go and I do receive notification sometimes for news & such in the notification but NOT text. And it is not eating up battery. You probably made that up. :p

Here's the partial text message I got:

Christmas 2012 is coming. So as our love. Special designed by GO team, this #gos#100premium them...

It goes on with links.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

And at a third the cost of the ipad mini, you get a better screen, faster cpu, better graphics, ability to add external usb storage, and is much more computer like with access to the system files and customizability. iPad Mini does look nice. To bad the OS and screen suck. Def second rate to the Nex7. And notice how Apple refuses to give out any sales figures on the iPad Mini? Yeah, sales are sucking cause the platform sucks and people know it.

I doubt that the iPhone 5 problems are that widespread and even more so doubt that the iPad Mini sales sucked. Try to be more objective towards all platforms.

----------

Haha... siiip5. Stop trolling.

----------

Here's the partial text message I got:

Christmas 2012 is coming. So as our love. Special designed by GO team, this #gos#100premium them...

It goes on with links.

Yeah, I got the same message. Do you have Go SMS installed or just the launcher?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.