Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I'm sitting this one out to see the feedback. Apple used to be known for putting out rock solid stuff. But after the Maps and Podcast fiasco, I've lost a bit of faith....

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the Spotify/Pandora like music streaming that this version MAY have. I'm looking forward to this the most. Being able to put in a few artists that I like, make a station, and just stream music all day while at work. Hopefully this won't be excessive in cost.

Why not just use Spotify then? It will pull your local library in as well so you already have the best of both worlds.

----------

Some people seem to be under the assumption these delays would have never happened under Steve.
These people seem to have a very lousy memory.
Do you forget the first version of OS X, and OS X Leopard?
Releasing unfinished software is never a sensible idea; and I'd think this is empathised even more so by the maps debacle.
Sometimes deadlines aren't met, and as frustrating as that is it doesn't mean you should neglect the experience of the product.
Customers were frustrated with the delay of Leopard but I remember the level of excitement when it was released due to the pleasurable experience.
I'd rather wait and be blown away than impatient and experience a buggy piece of crap. As the saying goes "you can't rush art"
Lets hope our patience pays off tomorrow.

Finally, someone gets it. Just because they showed a demo doesn't mean it was anywhere close to ready. If you know where the rocks are, you can walk on water. Like you, I would rather wait than get some buggy piece of junk that trashes my library.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunes is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 player shouldn't use that much memory.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunez is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 shouldn't use that much memory.

What you call bloated, I call feature-rich. I like having all my stuff in one place. I just wish my playlists would sync over iCloud.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunez is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 shouldn't use that much memory.

how is it too bloated? just dont use those features

i dont use it for anything but music, but i just disable the icons for the stuff i dont use and forget its even there. the app itself runs smooth so i dont see the 'bloat' complaint.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You can sync playlist across devices with iTunes Match. Works great for me.

A ha! That's why it worked for me. iTunes Match is totally worth $2.00 a month for the convenience of having my music and playlists in sync across all my iOS devices and my laptop.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
What you call bloated, I call feature-rich. I like having all my stuff in one place. I just wish my playlists would sync over iCloud.

then it should be called iMedia. the itunes name is misleading.

its still bloated with all the crap that apples put into it.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
then it should be called iMedia. the itunes name is misleading.

its still bloated with all the crap that apples put into it.

It's called iTunes because you don't just throw away a brand name.

And bloat usually implies some sort of slowness. I won't deny that there's definitely "bloat" on Windows, but I (not comprehensive!) have never experienced any slowness. I think I have a pretty big library too, so that's something.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
You can sync playlist across devices with iTunes Match. Works great for me.

Hmm I'm wondering why a lot of people are ignorant over features that are already provided presently by Apple via iTunes Match. It's not like it's hidden from the current iTunes version ...

----------

I'm sitting this one out to see the feedback. Apple used to be known for putting out rock solid stuff. But after the Maps and Podcast fiasco, I've lost a bit of faith....

After a month delay Apple has no excuse for the new redesigned iTunes not to be good. I'm sure many people won't be sitting it out long though considering how good the screenshots look.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I think you mean 10.6.8 or later.

It's not like iTunes 10.7 still suddenly stop working on older machines, I highly doubt Snow Leopard will be supported. Lion or later, me thinks.

The only reason they would push it to Lion is if access to iCloud was mandatory for something and I doubt they are ready to go that far. Add iCloud using features sure, but not force them on folks. Maybe when we get up to something like iTunes 13.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunes is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 player shouldn't use that much memory.

No offense, but Apple doesn't (and shouldn't) care how usable, bloated, offensive, boring, or whatever else iTunes is to you if you don't use an iOS device. It was designed and intended to support coordination between your music library and iPod.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Obviously it's as early as Thursday, coud it possibly come any earlier? This article was posted Wednesday night.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library.

That would essentially require them to develop and maintain two separate (Windows and Mac versions) apps would basically be labeled as crippled. A program that already is basically rarely updated as it is. I don't see Apple doing this at all.

Obviously it's as early as Thursday, coud it possibly come any earlier? This article was posted Wednesday night.

Given that Apple is closed right now I would say no - they tend to release things during business hours - Cupertino business hours.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Since Apple has been about simplifying (that’s both good and bad), what do you think will be dropped from the new iTunes?

Probably nothing.

If they were really smart they would totally revamp the Mac version into several parts.

1. The store. Either it's own app or into the Mac App Store one
2. Merge with DVD player and have a player app, this app would also be your media browser for making playlists
3. iSync 'app' which would work by mounting iPhones etc on the desk top and you double click to see the sync choices, import to desktop/iPhoto, etc.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I hope the delay is time spent polishing it..

I sure hope they've sorted it out.

Just the thought of a new rev makes me uneasy.

It didn't used to be like that, but lately Apples on a tear.

Faster... more products, more headlines, more negative toxic energy on legal assaults, grab more profits, push Foxconn harder, leak more rumors, push push push push push... YIKES :eek:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
A ha! That's why it worked for me. iTunes Match is totally worth $2.00 a month for the convenience of having my music and playlists in sync across all my iOS devices and my laptop.

$2.08 per month, actually. :p

Seriously, why wouldn't someone with a decent sized iTunes library buy iTunes Match for at least one year, if only to get 128K songs upgraded to 256K, and to get licensed versions of any pirated songs in their library (Yes, we all have at least some).

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the Spotify/Pandora like music streaming that this version MAY have. I'm looking forward to this the most. Being able to put in a few artists that I like, make a station, and just stream music all day while at work. Hopefully this won't be excessive in cost.

Total rumor with zero backing. Frankly I doubt it is happening at this point. The best we might get is a return of lala.com's features, perhaps working as part of iTunes Match

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Again, why would Apple complicate things by developing several different apps that they have to develop and maintain for two platforms? iTunes has to be equal on both platforms. There isn't a App store for Windows (and it would be useless given that Apple doesn't sell Windows software) and they don't have DVD player either - an app that on OSX is a core OS app as well.

Finally, they already had an iSync app - there is a reason that they integrated the function into iTunes and depreciated the iSync program.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm looking forward to Ping being removed

In a way I'm not. I felt like it had potential they just didn't go far enough. They should have opened it up to all artists, TV shows, movies, books. On the music side brought in the features from lala.com. They could have eventually moved it into the web with the iCloud shared photo streams etc. perhaps even created a kind of homepage instant website function where folks would have their journals, streams, reviews, shared playlists even twitter and Facebook statuses as 'widgets'

But instead they basically stopped before it got started

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
iTunes 11 was actually what I was most excited for in the keynote.. Really hope it's available in the coming days..

Also would love to see updated Bootcamp drivers for Windows 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.