Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The response was to "I just don't get all these people going for the Mini that owned prior iPads and liked them a lot with no concern on size and weight and all of a sudden it is a BIG issue." which questioned why people who were previously happy with their devices were now drawn to a lighter an smaller version of the same. There is a long history of Apple releasing lighter version of existing prodcts which people bought once they realized they would like/use the thing more if it were easier to use.

It may be lighter and smaller than ALL iPads but surely it isn't the small quality of the 3rd or 4th gen. Is it in Apple's history to release lighter products compromising on the quality? We all know the main reason why the Mini was released.

In my opinion, a very very high percentage of andriod tablet owners don't go backwards with technology!!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It may be lighter and smaller than ALL iPads but surely it isn't the small quality of the 3rd or 4th gen. Is it in Apple's history to release lighter products compromising on the quality? We all know the main reason why the Mini was released.

In my opinion, a very very high percentage of andriod tablet owners don't go backwards with technology!!

The Titanium Powerbook, for example, had issues due to its weight and materials used. It also had reduced functionality compared to the Pismo G3 Powerbook which preceeded it.

In regards to your second point, the Nexus 7 is lower spec than the Nexus 10, and its likely that someone who has a N10 might switch to the N7 if they want a smaller tablet.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010

When apple releases smaller versions of products they are ALWAYS under powered compared to their larger siblings.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
When apple releases smaller versions of products they are ALWAYS under powered compared to their larger siblings.

Being new to Apple, under powered as far as a processor is one thing but under quality which the Mini is versus the 3rd or 4th gen is entirely different. The latter isn't worth a trade off for me personally because of size and weight especially.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Being new to Apple, under powered as far as a processor is one thing but under quality which the Mini is versus the 3rd or 4th gen is entirely different. The latter isn't worth a trade off for me personally.

Assuming we are talking about the white iPad Mini and white iPad 4, what are the quality issues the Mini has that the iPad 4 doesn't. Glass that flexes a bit becuase it is thin is not a flaw, that's just what thin glass does.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Being new to Apple, under powered as far as a processor is one thing but under quality which the Mini is versus the 3rd or 4th gen is entirely different. The latter isn't worth a trade off for me personally because of size and weight especially.

I honestly don't have any idea what this arrangement of words is trying to convey.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

The quality is not compromised it's the feature set. It's fine if the mini is not for you, but to dismiss it has having inferior quality is completely off the mark. It's like saying why buy one of those stupid MacBook Airs instead of a nice iPad 4. It has different features for different purposes.

The mini for people wanting lighter, and smaller, and maybe cheaper. For the lightness aspect, the mini has better "quality" than the iPad 4. It's a feature set compromise as all products have.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Assuming we are talking about the white iPad Mini and white iPad 4, what are the quality issues the Mini has that the iPad 4 doesn't. Glass that flexes a bit becuase it is thin is not a flaw, that's just what thin glass does.

I honestly don't have any idea what this arrangement of words is trying to convey.

I translate his post as yet another way to say "It should have had a retina display." :)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

i am shocked how thin they made the glass on the iPad Mini. it makes typing extremely loud compared to the iPad 3. they could have added a fraction of a millimeter and it would have made a big difference in rigidity. the entire screen flexes down with the slightest pressure

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
i am shocked how thin they made the glass on the iPad Mini. it makes typing extremely loud compared to the iPad 3. they could have added a fraction of a millimeter and it would have made a big difference in rigidity. the entire screen flexes down with the slightest pressure

Watch the iPad mini video on the website. Near the middle of it, the engineering guy comes on and states they make the glass 0.2mm thick to get the thinness achieved. That is pretty thin! :eek:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The quality is not compromised it's the feature set. It's fine if the mini is not for you, but to dismiss it has having inferior quality is completely off the mark. It's like saying why buy one of those stupid MacBook Airs instead of a nice iPad 4. It has different features for different purposes.

The mini for people wanting lighter, and smaller, and maybe cheaper. For the lightness aspect, the mini has better "quality" than the iPad 4. It's a feature set compromise as all products have.

I used the wrong term "quality", it should be features. That would have had folks react differently to my post.

I cannot but help folks regretting at least somewhat the decision to the Mini in the long run. Time will tell, I assume there will be posts down the road about not going with the product with better features, especially when Black Friday made the price point of the 4 that much more attractive. You have a product while not future proof, at least that much closer than going back to technology from yesteryear especially just for weight and size.

So I wasn't only talking about the screen. :)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Watch the iPad mini video on the website. Near the middle of it, the engineering guy comes on and states they make the glass 0.2mm thick to get the thinness achieved. That is pretty thin! :eek:

i mean it's great they did that, but adding another 0.2mm (doubling the thickness) won't make the iPad Mini a bulky device. i don't understand the need of having to make the glass so thin that it flexes and is hollow-sounding when you tap on it. it makes it feel cheap but more importantly it sounds like i am flicking the side of a plastic cup now everytime i tap the screen

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I used the wrong term "quality", it should be features. That would have had folks react differently to my post.

I cannot but help folks regretting at least somewhat the decision to the Mini in the long run. Time will tell, I assume there will be posts down the road about not going with the product with better features, especially when Black Friday made the price point of the 4 that much more attractive. You have a product while not future proof, at least that much closer than going back to technology from yesteryear especially just for weight and size.

Stop it already. There are always compromises in specs when moving to smaller devices. People understand this when making a purchasing decision. If the size and cost are enough to outweigh those compromises for people, then they are obviously going to choose that product. It is the same with every apple product ever released. Why don't you go troll The MacBook Air forum with this tired argument?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Please note the title of this thread. I ain't the one in the wrong place.

BTW, Apple didn't call this the iPad 2 Mini did they? Some folks need to seriously wake up honestly. I assume some folks will think they are getting a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Please note the title of this thread. I ain't the one in the wrong place.

BTW, Apple didn't call this the iPad 2 Mini did they? Some folks need to seriously wake up honestly. I assume some folks will think they are getting a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features.

I suppose so, but then again I suppose people who bought the Nissan Sentra thought they were getting a small GT-R.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I suppose so, but then again I suppose people who bought the Nissan Sentra thought they were getting a small GT-R.

You aren't comparing Apples to Apples btw. :)

Did you return the Mini? If not, why are you here? Most here did. It's like some are trying to convince others they should've have. And a company cannot get away in andriod land what apple did with the Mini as most buyers would not bite.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

:confused: They are getting "a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features." Where do you get the idea that people expect the smaller, cheaper version of a product to have the exact same features as the larger, more expensive version?

----------

And a company cannot get away in andriod land what apple did with the Mini as most buyers would not bite.

What does that mean? :confused:

"Android land" contains tons of smaller, cheaper tablets with worse features.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
:confused: They are getting "a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features." Where do you get the idea that people expect the smaller, cheaper version of a product to have the exact same features as the larger, more expensive version?

You don't think some would get that impression. Please, if you deal with what I do daily your eyes would not just roll they would pop out of your head.

Head to Best Buy and spend some time by the Apple display or go to an Apple store. Trust me you will see what I mean. And btw, at least some employees will only mention size weight and portability if not questioned about specs and features. I would have dared Apple to call this the iPad2 Mini.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You aren't comparing Apples to Apples btw. :)

I see what you did there. :)

Did you return the Mini? If not, why are you here? Most here did. It's like some are trying to convince others they should've have. And a company cannot get away in andriod land what apple did with the Mini as most buyers would not bite.

Google named its tablets around the sizes; you would still have to look up the specs or talk to a sales person to find out that that the N7 is not just a smaller N10. The N7 is a lower-powered version of the N10 just as the Mini is a lower-powered version of the iPad 4.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You don't think some would get that impression. Please, if you deal with what I do daily your eyes would not just roll they would pop out of your head.

Head to Best Buy and spend some time by the Apple display or go to an Apple store. Trust me you will see what I mean. And btw, at least some employees will only mention size weight and portability if not questioned about specs and features. I would have dared Apple to call this the iPad2 Mini.

:rolleyes: Made up anecdotes aside, selling a smaller, cheaper version of a product with reduced features isn't confusing to the average consumer. It's normal despite your off the wall claim that it wouldn't happen in "Android land".

If I by a netbook, I'm not really surprised that it doesn't have the same features as a larger, more expensive laptop.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I assume some folks will think they are getting a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features.
This still doesn't make any sense. What "features" does the iPad mini lack that the full-size iPads have, except for the retina display?

Apart from the display, you're getting a wholly comparable product. That's the trade you make by getting the mini, and in exchange, you save a pretty significant chunk of money.

There's this ongoing myth that the iPad mini is somehow "dated" or deficient in some way and there's just no basis in fact for that.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
What "features" does the iPad mini lack that the full-size iPads have, except for the retina display?
The the A5 processor is one big difference, but there are other differences between the two like the mini has two speakers, and the unibody shell is more rounded on the back and edges. This makes it more comfortable to hold in your hands. For me all of these things are pluses for the mini. There are other differences but they are small (pun intended) like SIM card size. I loved my iPad 3 BUT I sold it because it was frankly too big for my needs. The smaller size of the mini is its main attraction. As soon as they add the retina screen I'll be getting one :)

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
All this talk about "last year's tech" really bothers me. If you note the benchmarks, the iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad Mini all bench around 770 or so. The iPad 3 came out in March of this year and was the cutting edge until Apple surprised us with a new revision.

If the iPad 4 wasn't released 5-6 months early, would we even be having this conversation?

The fact is, the A5 is a chip being sold in several current Apple devices and the iPad Mini has plenty of power for iOS 6. It has similar benchmarks to the iPad 3 and all old and new iPad apps work perfectly on it.

For $329 it's an affordable entry into the iPad ecosystem, so what's the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.