Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Officially, Apple makes a Mac Mini and an iPad mini.

Prior to the release of the new iPad mini, the Mac Mini was often shortened to just "mini" in casual conversation.

Now, for many forum users, "mini" now connotes the smaller form factor iPad.

When will these naming conventions sort themselves out? Which product deserves the shorthand "mini" moniker?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Officially, Apple makes a Mac Mini and an iPad mini.

Prior to the release of the new iPad mini, the Mac Mini was often shortened to just "mini" in casual conversation.

Now, for many forum users, "mini" now connotes the smaller form factor iPad.

When will these naming conventions sort themselves out? Which product deserves the shorthand "mini" moniker?

I don't see that there is a problem. There are different forums and usually context of conversation to sort things out.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I don't see that there is a problem. There are different forums and usually context of conversation to sort things out.

Exactly, people won't come to the Mac Mini forum and discuss the iPad Mini, and vice versa. If in context of Mac/computers they will be talking about the Mac Mini and when discussing iOS devices it will be the iPad Mini.

I'm not even sure why this is really an issue to discuss? There are many items in this world that have the same name and/or nick name that we can sort out by the context of the discussion and do not need further clarification. If a buddy and I are talking about computers and I mention Apple, he doesn't think I am talking about something I eat right? If we are discussing a book and I use the term "text", I am sure the person I am discussing it with understands I am talking about words on a page (as in the 'text of the book') and not that I am somehow sending/receiving a Text message.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The MacMini was first, and will be last. So use Mini for the desktop.
The iPad Mini is a temporary anomaly, as the iPad and iPhone will collide in 2-3 years around 6-7 inch and will be called iPhone or iPad or iNote. Apple hates the Samsung Galaxy Note, yet they move both personal computer products silently to Note-size proportions.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
The iPad Mini is a temporary anomaly, as the iPad and iPhone will collide in 2-3 years around 6-7 inch and will be called iPhone or iPad or iNote.

That is one massive iPhone and something I hope Apple does NOT do.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
The iPad Mini is a temporary anomaly, as the iPad and iPhone will collide in 2-3 years around 6-7 inch and will be called iPhone or iPad or iNote. Apple hates the Samsung Galaxy Note, yet they move both personal computer products silently to Note-size proportions.

You've stated some silly things (most recently how Haswell will run hotter than Ivy Bridge since it isn't a die shrink), but this is probably tops. Why would Apple make a 6-7" phone? Apple will let Android win the "size" wars and win in usability, pocket-ability, etc. If Apple wanted to make a 6-7" device, they would have made the iPad Mini the same size as all the other "small" Android Tablets.

Edit: Most likely the iPad Mini will outlive the Mac Mini with the PC market's dwindling desktop market (and the mini is already one of their lowest selling and smallest margin computer products).

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
(and the mini is already one of their lowest selling and smallest margin computer products).
WAS, not IS. Mini-sales are eating into all other product lines right as we speak.

And what is wrong with a 7 inch phone? The thing that is wrong is that you still dial a friggin 10 digit number you can't remember and hold the thing to your ear cause stupid operators still are on dope called "calling-minutes". THAT is the STUPID part. Not the 7 inch phone. As soon as somebody kills the phone number (I'm afraid Mark Sugarmountain has to do it as he has 1 billion usernames that could replace numbers), you will understand the race to bigger driven by Samsung, and Apple playing catch-up.

Last edited:

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
WAS, not IS. Mini-sales are eating into all other product lines right as we speak.

And what is wrong with a 7 inch phone? The thing that is wrong is that you still dial a friggin 10 digit number you can't remember and hold the thing to your ear cause stupid operators still are on dope called "calling-minutes". THAT is the STUPID part. Not the 7 inch phone. As soon as somebody kills the phone number (I'm afraid Mark Sugarmountain has to do it as he has 1 billion usernames that could replace numbers), you will understand the race to bigger driven by Samsung, and Apple playing catch-up.

Try putting a 7-inch phone in your pocket, and still tell me it's a good idea.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Try putting a 7-inch phone in your pocket, and still tell me it's a good idea.

Thank you! Couldn't have said it any better....

----------

And what is wrong with a 7 inch phone? .

Not all of us are 16 year old boys wear JNCO's (or whatever the giant jeans with huge pockets of today are).... Remember, Apple caters to a different audience than Android. Apple wants those who "can afford Apple" which generally means professionals who wear appropriate sized pants.

naisdes

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Wouldn't be surprised if one day Apple named a product this:

pmwkl.jpg

Quick, someone patent it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.